Author Topic: Why I’m Coming Out as a Christian  (Read 613 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Why I’m Coming Out as a Christian
« on: March 01, 2015, 05:50:12 pm »
Ana Marie Cox
The Daily Beast
February 28, 2015

Who do I need to prove my faith to—and why should I try? ...

I’m nervous to come out as a Christian because I worry I’m not good enough of one. I’m not scared that non-believers will make me feel an outcast. I’m scared that Christians will ...

Here is why I believe I am a Christian: I believe I have a personal relationship with my Lord and Savior. I believe in the grace offered by the Resurrection. I believe that whatever spiritual rewards I may reap come directly from trying to live the example set by Christ. Whether or not I succeed in living up to that example is primarily between Him and me ...
More

Ana Marie Cox

Offline aligncare

Re: Why I’m Coming Out as a Christian
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 06:42:08 pm »
Even if she had made no mention of it, the author is clearly a liberal. I can tell because half of her writing is incomprehensible to me.

She has that annoying Rolling Stone magazine – edgy, self-consciously hip - style of writing that forces one to constantly refer to the urban dictionary to make sense of her writing.

I suspect one day scientists will discover that the brains of liberals and conservatives are wired entirely differently.

If anyone else reads this, could they please take a moment and explain what she's trying to say here?

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 07:56:53 pm »
Some of us first learned about Ana Marie Cox during the "Washingtonienne" scandal back in 2004.

Yikes! I had no idea.

The left in America is truly mentally unbalanced and morally corrupt.

We're racing headlong for Hades in a handbasket.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 08:22:46 pm »
I don't think liberalism and Christianity are mutually exclusive. I think she is sincere.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 09:06:12 pm »
I don't think liberalism and Christianity are mutually exclusive. I think she is sincere.
I think their view of Christianity, and what they prioritize from what they learned from Christ, is much different than what conservatives see as important—which should surprise absolutely no one.

Actor John Fugelsang, for instance, is a devout Christian—and a hard-line liberal. His view of Christianity, and that of other liberal Christians like him, is that it calls on people to give to the point of poverty, and that leads liberal Christians to think they can use the government to force the rest of the masses to do the same. (It's a dangerous view in my opinion, since the scriptures also consistently warn against covetousness.)

But there is also a second kind of liberal Christian I have run to is the “superficial” Christian. The one, usually female, who listens to contemporary Christian music and thinks that they can somehow better themselves by running overseas on some mission trip to the third-world or campaigning for some social justice cause. They look like they have their stuff together, but they really don't understand what the gospel is all about. It's about saving souls, changing viewpoints, abandoning things like “mammon” and reckless pursuit of frivolous desires. Should one lend a hand to a neighbor in need? Of course. But that's just it: neighbor. We are called to care for those put in our path, not necessarily to go way out of our way to find people to help; one can easily see how quickly one could exhaust himself or herself without addressing the fundamental cause of the person's neediness.

All in all, the gospel leads me to a much more conservative approach to life than a liberal one.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 10:15:08 pm »
I agree with you. But increasingly I notice how little terms like "Christian" and "liberal" and "conservative" actually say to define people, their beliefs, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 11:56:55 am »
So she's more afraid of her fellow Christians than she is of the rabid anti-Christians on her "side" of the political divide:  liberals and progressives, in general.