Author Topic: February weather records broken in N.Y.C., elsewhere  (Read 2102 times)

rangerrebew

February weather records broken in N.Y.C., elsewhere
« on: February 28, 2015, 10:43:48 am »

February weather records broken in N.Y.C., elsewhere

New York City has recorded its coldest February in 81 years, and the third-coldest in the city's history

By Doug G. Ware   |   Feb. 28, 2015 at 1:16 AM

http://cdnph.upi.com/sv/em/i/UPI-5521425098804/2015/1/14251031031752/February-weather-records-broken-in-NYC-elsewhere.jpg

In 2015 New York City recorded its coldest February in 81 years, with an average temperature of 24 degrees, which ranks as the third-coldest in history. Photo: NY Times/YouTube

NEW YORK, Feb. 27 (UPI) -- Nearly 20 million people in the nation's most populated city have endured this month some of the coldest weather in the area's history, the New York Times reported Friday.
As the month enters its final day, it will go into the record book as the coldest February New York City has seen since 1934 -- 81 years ago -- and the third-coldest of all-time. The month's average temperature was about 24 degrees -- 11 shy, the National Weather Service (NWS) shows, of the February normal.

In 1934, the city's average temperature for February was 19.9 degrees. It was during that frigid month that New York City recorded its lowest ever temperature: 15 degrees below zero.

Before that, you have to go all the way back to 1885 -- another four decades -- to find another New York February as cold (22.7 degrees) as this month has been, NWS meteorologist Jay Engle told the Times. But that's it.

"It has been so cold people feel as if they are under house arrest on their days off," wrote New York Time columnist N.R. Kleinfield. "It is warmer in a meat locker."

The Times report also noted that the cold weather has coincided with more visits to emergency rooms. The chief of emergency medicine at a Brooklyn hospital said his facility is averaging 20 more patients this winter than it did the last. Last month, he said, 30 patients arrived within a single hour for treatment after they slipped and fell on ice.

Forecasters expect New York City to see temperatures in the 40s on Monday, the second day of March.

"March, often a roller-coaster month, is not always charitable with its weather either. But it represents a dash of hope," Kleinfield wrote. "It has to get warmer someday."

New York surely isn't the only major American city dealing with arctic chill. Washington, D.C., has also hovered around record lows this winter.

"Since February 10, we've only managed two days with average- to above-average temperatures," Jason Samenow, a weather writer for the Washington Post, wrote Friday.

Samenow noted that forecast models indicate that the nation's capital will warm up to sustained 50-degree temperatures beginning the second week of March.

Meanwhile in the Atlantic Northeast, Boston is expected to receive possibly four inches of new snow over the weekend -- and then two further snowstorms next week.

Boston has received 102 inches of snow so far this winter -- including more than 30 inches in a two-day period last month -- which is less than 6 inches shy of the all-time record, the Boston Globe reported. That mark, 107 inches, was set during the relentlessly snowy winter of 1995-96.

Further west, it doesn't necessarily get any warmer. Central Illinois and Oklahoma City each recorded their coldest Feb. 27 on record, and Pittsburgh has averaged 18.9 degrees this month, making it the area's second-coldest February on record. And that average may dip further, as the mercury is expected to drop to 6 below zero in the Steel City on Saturday.

Further west, Denver surpassed the city's snowfall record for February -- 22.1 inches -- a 103-year-old mark. Meanwhile, just over the Rockies, Salt Lake City is finally beginning to experience normal winter cold -- after enjoying one of its warmest February months in recent memory.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2015/02/28/February-weather-records-broken-in-NYC-elsewhere/5521425098804/#ixzz3T2FNRG2t

Online mountaineer

Re: February weather records broken in N.Y.C., elsewhere
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 01:49:32 pm »
Seven record low temperatures were reached in February in this area. The most recent broke the record low set last year for the date. I think we're seeing a trend of cool temperatures, just sayin'.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 02:11:35 pm »
The last day in February  here started out well below zero.

That's never happened before.

I don't know how much of a record we set in this part of Ohio, but we most certainly did set a record.... at least an 'in my lifetime' record.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 02:16:55 pm »
-15 here this morning.  I heard on TV that this month is expected to be the 2nd coldest and 3rd snowiest February in Chicago's history.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 03:43:22 pm »
Seven record low temperatures were reached in February in this area. The most recent broke the record low set last year for the date. I think we're seeing a trend of cool temperatures, just sayin'.

Its a balmy 9 degrees at the moment in Michigan.  There was a Russian scientist a few years ago who claimed we were coming into the next ice age.  It appears at the moment he is much closer to the truth than St. Algore.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 04:06:25 pm »
NE Iowa hit -24 yesterday morning, broke all sorts of records.

Global warming is a beeotch.
The Republic is lost.

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 09:07:17 pm »
Snow is forecast for all 50 states this week.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 02:24:01 pm »
Apparently, it is official... the last two days have moved February 2015 to being the coldest February ever in the 140 years of tracking in Chicago.

John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 02:41:03 pm »
Buffalo, NY averaged a high temp of 11.1 degrees in February.  Cleveland, OH was also coldest February on record.

John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 03:13:14 pm »

Clear sky yields great look at frozen Great Lakes
by Mark Torregrossa
March 1, 2015
http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2015/03/clear_sky_yields_great_look_at.html

We finally got a great look at the freezing Great Lakes in the last two days.

The high resolution satellites give us images of the Great Lakes during the day, once a day. Saturday, Feb. 28, 2015, Michigan had clear skies when the satellite took the latest pictures. So Saturday yielded the best look from high in space so far this winter.

Friday's sunny sky also was a great day for MLive photographers to take to the sky and give us an up-close look at ice on Lakes Huron and Michigan.

With the very cold weather Friday and Saturday, the ice continues to grow on the Great Lakes.

As of Saturday, Feb. 28, 2015, here are the latest ice totals:
Entire Great Lakes - 89 percent
Lake Superior - 95 percent
Lake Huron - 96 percent
Lake Erie - 96 percent
Lake Michigan - 73 percent
Lake Ontario - 70 percent.

Ice should continue to increase on the Great Lakes this week with temperatures mostly well below freezing. 94.7 percent total ice cover is the current record.
John Steinbeck

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 06:44:15 pm »
Thanks for the satellite photo, Lando.

Lake Erie - shallowest lake, farthest south, and covered in white.

We just got our biggest snow of the year here.

March is certainly coming in like a LION.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 08:21:54 pm »
Just be careful about getting too much into that, because the two years prior were both unseasonably warm.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

rangerrebew

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 08:30:01 pm »
sunshine hours

February 28, 2015

NOAA – 1913 Low Min Records Broken (272 tied) From 2015-02-19 to 2015-02-25

Filed under: Cold Kills,NOAA,USA — sunshinehours1 @ 8:54 AM
Tags: Cold, Cold Kills, Cooling, NOAA, USA

UPDATE: I also have a blog post on the LOW MAX records.

1913 Low Min Records Broken in Last 7 Days (272 tied)  according to the NOAA.

Below is a screenshot showing location and the biggest difference between old record and new record.

The list is just the ones I could capture in a screenshot. Wow. Many records broken by over 30F.

Imagine … the old record was 15F and it is now -23F. A 38F difference.

https://sunshinehours.wordpress.com/2015/02/28/noaa-1913-low-min-records-broken-272-tied-from-2015-02-19-to-2015-02-25/
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:31:56 pm by rangerrebew »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 08:34:46 pm »
Just be careful about getting too much into that, because the two years prior were both unseasonably warm.
What I take from it is that the weather changes, and there's nothing I - or anyone else - can do about it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 09:48:57 pm »

Not so (and I'm not far from mountaineer).

Last year we hit 20 below TWICE, and that's record cold for around here.

No 'unseasonable warmth' last year.  None.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 10:08:01 pm »
Not so (and I'm not far from mountaineer).

Last year we hit 20 below TWICE, and that's record cold for around here.

No 'unseasonable warmth' last year.  None.
I'm talking about 2012 and 2013.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 02:41:16 pm »
I'm talking about 2012 and 2013.

Gotcha.

Since this is 2015, I assumed when you said "the two years prior" that you meant 2013 and 2014.