Author Topic: Phil Kerpen: 'Tons of Lawsuits' Coming on Net Neutrality  (Read 988 times)

rangerrebew

Phil Kerpen: 'Tons of Lawsuits' Coming on Net Neutrality
« on: February 28, 2015, 10:25:28 am »

Phil Kerpen: 'Tons of Lawsuits' Coming on Net Neutrality

Friday, 27 Feb 2015 11:10 AM

By Melissa Clyne

The FCC's decision Thursday to convert the Internet from an unregulated, competitive-free market to a government-controlled utility — known as net neutrality — will regulate every economic aspect of the Internet, according to American Commitment president and free-market policy analyst Phil Kerpen.

"Every rate that's charged between companies, between companies and consumers, they're now all going to be subject to adjust a reasonable standard, which means complaints can be filed at the FCC, which … lawyers can litigate," Kerpen said Friday on Newsmax TV's "America's Forum."

"There are going to be tons of lawsuits all over the place. Repeals say 'I don't like that price, it's too high, I don't like the way they're managing this network, I don't like that they're allowing this service and not that service.'

"It is going to change what's been the greatest engine of economic growth and creativity as a free market-type system into a heavily regulated micromanagement system by bureaucrats in Washington and trial lawyers and we don't even know all the details because they won't tell us."

Most Americans don't believe the regulations will end there, he added.

"It'll lead to content control as well," he predicted. "Sixty-eight percent of Americans, according to a survey, believe that regulating the Internet risks content control and here's how this is going to happen — they're going to destroy private investment with all of these rules and regulations, we're going to be forced to make up for that private investment with our tax dollars in universal service fund fees, state and local federal taxes and so forth.

"When we're paying 20 percent, 30 percent or 40 percent of the cost of the network as taxes, suddenly people will say this is a public network, it needs to be run in the public interest with public interest regulation, equal time requirements, we need to make sure that the voices of all are heard and so forth. We're starting down an extremely dangerous path if this order is allowed to stand. The order is probably illegal, so we'll see what happens in court, but you can never count on them."

Over time, consumers will see a lot of state and local taxes and fees applied to their bills in the same way that phone companies apply those costs to phone bills, according to Kerpen.

"It will increase prices 12.4 percent with just the state and local fees and there's also the question of federal universal taxes," he said.

From a government policy standpoint, the FCC should have done the exact opposite of what it did Thursday, he opined.

"We ought to make it easier for new competitors to build out, we shouldn't put more regulations, we should be taking them off and in particular at the local level, we should make it much easier to get poll attachments and much easier to get access to underground conduits and we should get rid of all these antiquated franchising requirements where people have to build out in areas of town where it might not be profitable," said Kerpen.

Special: Does Obama Belong to This Secret Society? (Shocking)

"We should make it as easy as possible for more companies to enter the market, but unfortunately, new regulations have the opposite impact and they're not going to make your service better. Federal regulators are not going to make whatever problems you have better, they're going to make it worse."

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsmax-Tv/Phil-Kerpen-FCC-net-neutrality-lawsuits/2015/02/27/id/627300/#ixzz3T2AeJSvC
 Urgent: Rate Obama on His Job Performance. Vote Here Now!

Offline aligncare

Re: Phil Kerpen: 'Tons of Lawsuits' Coming on Net Neutrality
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 11:38:38 am »

Deciding things for myself is so burdensome. Thank God I have government to do that for me.

As long as everything is neutral now, who needs liberty?

Freedom is overrated, anyway.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 12:15:21 pm »
It's not as bad as the alarmists are suggesting.  Net neutrality has been the policy since the inception of the Internet.  The FCC action did nothing on that except give it a bit more permanence.  The real damage is the power grab.  That will never be undone, by either party.  And in the long run, it means that the one remaining bastion of freedom in this country is going to be compromised. 

By the time it is over, the Internet will look like your average airport. 

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 03:47:23 pm »
It's not as bad as the alarmists are suggesting.  Net neutrality has been the policy since the inception of the Internet.  The FCC action did nothing on that except give it a bit more permanence.  The real damage is the power grab.  That will never be undone, by either party.  And in the long run, it means that the one remaining bastion of freedom in this country is going to be compromised. 

By the time it is over, the Internet will look like your average airport.

A breach of the Hoover Dam will eventually destroy it and, as you suggest, the breach in the internet dam is beginning to grow.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 04:03:39 pm »
It's not as bad as the alarmists are suggesting.  Net neutrality has been the policy since the inception of the Internet.  The FCC action did nothing on that except give it a bit more permanence.

:thumbsup:
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates