Author Topic: Politico...Uncompromising Reid still in command  (Read 3269 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Politico...Uncompromising Reid still in command
« on: February 27, 2015, 02:29:51 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/uncompromising-reid-still-in-command-115572.html?hp=t2_r

Uncompromising Reid still in command

‘He is controlling the agenda,’ one Republican senator complains.

By Manu Raju and Burgess Everett

2/27/15 5:50 AM EST

He only controls 46 seats, but Harry Reid is acting like he has 60.

Reid’s uncompromising posture during the flap over homeland security funding and his emerging plans for an upcoming fight over immigration make clear he’s doing little to change the hardball style that defined his tenure as majority leader. This despite losing control of the chamber after last fall’s Democratic debacle and tamping down a coup among centrists seeking his ouster.

The 75-year-old Reid, who may seek reelection next year and is in his second stint as minority leader, is betting that Republicans are so nervous about being blamed for a crisis in Washington — as they have been repeatedly before — that they will capitulate again.

Naturally, his unyielding stance has maddened Republicans.

The new Senate majority leader, Mitch McConnell, wanted to initiate a lengthy floor debate on a House-passed Department of Homeland Security funding bill. But Reid surprised Republicans by rallying his caucus on four separate occasions to block the measure from even coming forward — demanding McConnell drop contentious immigration provisions. After a month of inaction in the Senate and up against Friday’s funding deadline, McConnell ultimately bent to Reid’s demands.

As House Republicans have called for formal negotiations on the Senate’s “clean” DHS funding bill, Reid has sent a blunt message across the Capitol: Take it or leave it. Most believe the House will ultimately take it.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/uncompromising-reid-still-in-command-115572.html#ixzz3SxJx3G7H

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Politico...Uncompromising Reid still in command
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 02:30:15 pm »
The Nov election changed nothing... :thud:
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 02:34:02 pm »

After a month of inaction in the Senate and up against Friday’s funding deadline, McConnell ultimately bent to Reid’s demands.

Funny how that works.  Whether in the minority or the majority, it's always the GOP that concedes to Demonrat demands.  Maybe they're just 'stoopid', eh?

The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Relic

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 02:53:48 pm »

The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party.

Time after time the Republicans teach us that lesson.

Time after time we forget the lesson and rally to give the Democrat-lite party their turn at the trough.

And time after time, the usual suspects arrive at forums like this to criticize us, and tell us the GOP is doing all it can.

I am seriously considering voting Democrat. The sooner they burn the whole thing down, the sooner we can try to rebuild it.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 02:58:13 pm »

I am seriously considering voting Democrat. The sooner they burn the whole thing down, the sooner we can try to rebuild it.

Then you are part of the problem and not part of the solution.  GFY.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 03:05:03 pm »

And time after time, the usual suspects arrive at forums like this to criticize us, and tell us the GOP is doing all it can.

The ones that get hurt the worst are the ones like Bigun, who believes in the party and works hard for it.  Those are the people who are being sold-out and I take no pride in being correct for posting that line over and over.  The reason I do it is so that, eventually, more and more people wll begin to see the reality of it.

I think people need to understand what they're dealing with before they can do anything about it.  Thinking the GOP is the 'stupid party' and can be fixed if we all just work a little harder is what the leadership wants you to think.  It hasn't worked and never will.

People need to wake up to the reality of what the GOP really is.  We can already see what the Demonrats are.  Only with an accurate perspective can new ideas and tactics be effective against the commie/NWO takeover of (not just the U.S.A.) but the whole world.  It's a global problem but the U.S. is a major battleground because it is the last superpower to be brought down before a one-world government can be implemented.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 03:16:59 pm »
Don't mean to disregard the turn of comments here so far, but I just want to say that it's easy for Reid to be uncompromising given he knows the mainstream media is on his side and will slant any news in a biased and misleading way to help the Democrats.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 03:23:45 pm »
Funny how that works.  Whether in the minority or the majority, it's always the GOP that concedes to Demonrat demands.  Maybe they're just 'stoopid', eh?

You are very correct!!!! Will someone explain the difference between the RINOGOP and the DEMS other than the DEMS will fight like hell for their agenda and the PUBS will cave in a heartbeat??

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 03:26:36 pm »
Don't mean to disregard the turn of comments here so far, but I just want to say that it's easy for Reid to be uncompromising given he knows the mainstream media is on his side and will slant any news in a biased and misleading way to help the Democrats.

The way you break that is relatively simple.  Republicans (i.e., conservatives) must say what they want to say whenever the media interviews them, regardless of what the question is.

Don't answer the questions, they are designed to lead the discussion in a certain direction.  Just say what you want to say.  When the media complains that you didn't answer the question, say what you want to say again and mention that the media controls the debate by the way they ask questions.

Keep doing this and the 'media' will implode on themselves...

Offline Relic

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 03:28:39 pm »
Then you are part of the problem and not part of the solution.  GFY.

Nice. An open borders type comes in to bash me for my opinion. And I am part of the problem!
 :silly:

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 03:34:19 pm »
Nice. An open borders type comes in to bash me for my opinion. And I am part of the problem!

That's how the game is played, my friend...

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 03:44:47 pm »
You are very correct!!!! Will someone explain the difference between the RINOGOP and the DEMS other than the DEMS will fight like hell for their agenda and the PUBS will cave in a heartbeat??

Differences are vast.  You're either willfully blind or woefully ignorant.   I'll let you decide.

There isn't anybody in the Republican Party that would conduct domestic policy in the manner in which it has been handled the past 6+ years.

There isn't anybody in the Republican Party that would nominate an activist judge on the SCOTUS.

There isn't anybody in the Republican Party that thinks we stole everything and rode roughshod over everybody to become the greatest social experiment since the invention of fire.  And that the country needs to lower itself among the world's nations to atone for past sins.

There isn't anybody in the Republican Party that thinks keeping people dependent on the government for survival....er, votes, in order to maintain our majority rule.

Geez.......what the hell is going on here?   :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 03:48:13 pm »
Geez.......what the hell is going on here?

I guess we are tired of our leaders doing nothing..especially McConnell....So far on just about everything that comes to the Senate, Reid has won the day....

btw...GFU.....come on!
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 03:49:30 pm »
I am seriously considering voting Democrat.

How about trying this instead: In your next republican primary consider voting for someone who is NOT the one with the most money to spend on slick ads and media!  Ask yourself WHY the guy with the most money has all that money?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:50:05 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 04:02:22 pm »
I guess we are tired of our leaders doing nothing..especially McConnell....So far on just about everything that comes to the Senate, Reid has won the day....

btw...GFU.....come on!

When a member says they are thinking of voting Democrat?  In a Republican forum?

The strategy of the GOP 'leadership'....and I use that term lightly...is that they have seen huge gains in their numbers by simply allowing Obama to 'rule'.

Their attitude seems to be that so far, what they're doing is working, in so much as the American People are getting more and more fed up with Democrats, and they'll show their displeasure in 2016 as they did in the 2010 and 2014 mid-terms.

They seem to think that can undo whatever is done.

Said that I would give them until the new Congress was seated.  Not impressed with what's happening

But voting Democrat?

That's like being kicked in the groin, IMO. 

Offline Relic

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 04:04:37 pm »
How about trying this instead: In your next republican primary consider voting for someone who is NOT the one with the most money to spend on slick ads and media!  Ask yourself WHY the guy with the most money has all that money?

Politics is a sewer.

At the local level D vs. R isn't such a big deal. We had an R mayor for 20 years. He got voted out. When the D came in, they found any number of things the old mayor had been doing that should have landed him in jail. I live in a mid sized town, so this isn't just the D's fabricating and smearing the old guy, the old guy was a dirt ball. In the next mayoral election, I'll vote for the D.

On the national level, whether I vote D, R, I, or for Pat Paulsen, it doesn't matter. I get the same result.

If I get the same result, no matter what, why not give it all to the D's and let everyone see how they burn it to the ground?

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 04:10:14 pm »

If I get the same result, no matter what, why not give it all to the D's and let everyone see how they burn it to the ground?

Why do you want the entire country as Detroit, Michigan?

What do you think is going to happen even if that should occur?  Do you think after you "burn it to the ground", Conservatism will be adopted by the majority?

Got some news for you.   Conservatism will be the scapegoat and the target.

You're not only fighting today for a voice.  You're actually fighting for your existence.   Your life.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 04:13:14 pm »
Probably won't accomplish a damned thing except to allow me to vent but I just got done reading the right act to one of John Cornyn's office flunkies!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 04:13:47 pm »
When a member says they are thinking of voting Democrat?  In a Republican forum?

The strategy of the GOP 'leadership'....and I use that term lightly...is that they have seen huge gains in their numbers by simply allowing Obama to 'rule'.

Their attitude seems to be that so far, what they're doing is working, in so much as the American People are getting more and more fed up with Democrats, and they'll show their displeasure in 2016 as they did in the 2010 and 2014 mid-terms.

They seem to think that can undo whatever is done.

Said that I would give them until the new Congress was seated.  Not impressed with what's happening

But voting Democrat?

That's like being kicked in the groin, IMO.

I had great hopes for this Congress after all the promises they made during the election...I should have known better to believe them, my bad!

I think most of us here feel sooo let down we just don't know what to do cause the politicians in DC sure don't listen to us.
Support the USO

Offline Longiron

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 04:16:04 pm »
Differences are vast.  You're either willfully blind or woefully ignorant.   I'll let you decide.

There isn't anybody in the Republican Party that would conduct domestic policy in the manner in which it has been handled the past 6+ years.

There isn't anybody in the Republican Party that would nominate an activist judge on the SCOTUS.

There isn't anybody in the Republican Party that thinks we stole everything and rode roughshod over everybody to become the greatest social experiment since the invention of fire.  And that the country needs to lower itself among the world's nations to atone for past sins.

There isn't anybody in the Republican Party that thinks keeping people dependent on the government for survival....er, votes, in order to maintain our majority rule.

Geez.......what the hell is going on here?   :shrug:

Not one fact all theory and could  have, would have or should have. Name one conservative thing the RINOGOP did that was conservative and  Karl Rove  is not acceptable

Offline Relic

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 04:17:17 pm »
Why do you want the entire country as Detroit, Michigan?

What do you think is going to happen even if that should occur?  Do you think after you "burn it to the ground", Conservatism will be adopted by the majority?

Got some news for you.   Conservatism will be the scapegoat and the target.

You're not only fighting today for a voice.  You're actually fighting for your existence.   Your life.

What I do on a daily basis is fighting for my life. Working, preparing, whatever I chose to do, that is my fight.

The vermin and scum in Washington hate me almost as much as I hate them. I've been engaged, and I've watched. Now, what exactly has gotten better since the last election? What can I hang my hat on as one small shred of evidence that the GOP is committed, or that the party cares about the country half as much as the people on this forum?

The American public is disengaged. They only care about a few things. Give the D's control, let them burn it to the ground, and the public will be forced to take notice, and question the media. If the public doesn't become engaged after the meltdown, there was no hope anyway.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 04:24:45 pm »
Politics is a sewer.

At the local level D vs. R isn't such a big deal. We had an R mayor for 20 years. He got voted out. When the D came in, they found any number of things the old mayor had been doing that should have landed him in jail. I live in a mid sized town, so this isn't just the D's fabricating and smearing the old guy, the old guy was a dirt ball. In the next mayoral election, I'll vote for the D.

On the national level, whether I vote D, R, I, or for Pat Paulsen, it doesn't matter. I get the same result.

I understand your frustration – we all do, but I just can't agree with your solution.

We're going to have to work within the two-party system to change hearts and minds. I believe there are still enough Americans who understand the country's traditions, history and form of government. We just have to get them to the polling booth to win elections and make a difference.

Offline Relic

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 04:32:35 pm »
I understand your frustration – we all do, but I just can't agree with your solution.

We're going to have to work within the two-party system to change hearts and minds. I believe there are still enough Americans who understand the country's traditions, history and form of government. We just have to get them to the polling booth to win elections and make a difference.

What is it called when you try the same thing over and over and expect a different result?

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 04:48:10 pm »
What is it called when you try the same thing over and over and expect a different result?

:silly:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 05:00:59 pm »

I believe there are two Americas. Forget the R and D designations – parties are just historical artifacts.

But based on how we live our lives, Americans are either liberal or conservative, or somewhere in between.

I believe the majority of Americans live their lives as conservatives. But many of them don't vote. Those are the folks we have to reach to make a difference.

We're never going to change the minds of people who are hardened into their political camp. But, if we can begin to change how we educate our children, by getting them out of government schools, or, conversely, by getting the government out of our schools, then we can within one generation create tremendous change. Reagan tried to get rid of the Department of Education, though he failed. That should remain our goal.

Look, I was depressed as heck yesterday. But it's time now to focus and keep working towards achieving our shared goal of greater liberty and greater freedom from the social engineers and from federal government control of every aspect of our lives.