Author Topic: Hollywood Star Kevin Costner Slams Race Baiters says to Shutdown Conversation Invoke Race  (Read 420 times)

rangerrebew

Hollywood Star Kevin Costner Slams Race Baiters says to Shutdown Conversation Invoke Race

By Onan Coca   / 31 January 2015   / 0 Comments   

Hollywood Mega Star Kevin Costner is the star of a new movie with some very serious thematic material. "Black or White" is a movie about family but it is also a movie that deals with race and racism. In this latest film, Costner plays a grandfather raising his biracial granddaughter and fighting for custody over her with the other side of her family. While many see race as it's central theme Costner says that's a small part of it... it's really more about love and family.

What is most interesting to me is Costner's willingness to stand up to the race-baiters who try and shut down conversations on race that involve white people. White's must have a place in the dialogue if our nation (and the world) are to move forward and away from our old racist ideas.

In a recent interview CNN's Don Lemon brought up a recent Costner quote about how anytime someone wants to shut down a conversation they simply have to play the race card - to which Costner responded...

Well, it is not the only way that you do it, but when you want to shut a conversation down you can also walk away. Whatever happened in Ferguson today. Somebody either walked away -- it breaks down. I think the beauty of a movie is that a lot of people can watch it and see it for two hours, they can see things that maybe they've said in their life or maybe things they wish they had said in their life, and they're not going to be able to walk away. They're going to go sit there in that movie, and say, who am I? Am I that person? I know Octavia [Spencer] and Anthony Mackie personally. Both felt that they could say things that they wanted to say their whole lives, not only for themselves, but for their generation.

Read more at http://eaglerising.com/14589/hollywood-star-kevin-costner-slams-race-baiters-says-shutdown-conversation-invoke-race/#9vojhVZOb35J1Zvl.99

Offline collins

I've seen a lot of trailers for this movie "Black and White", or something like that . . . I think the premise is that Costner's charachter's daughter dies, leaving behind a daughter of mixed-race. He steps in to raise her but the black side of the family wants the kid to hang out with them. Not my kind of movie but it's an interesting but politically-volatile topuc.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Costner is an alumni of California State University, Fullerton, as am I

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln