Author Topic: Obama amnesty would save feds $7.5 billion: CBO study  (Read 1666 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama amnesty would save feds $7.5 billion: CBO study
« on: January 30, 2015, 11:56:05 pm »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jan/29/obama-amnesty-would-save-feds-75-billion-cbo-study/print/

Obama amnesty would save feds $7.5 billion: CBO study
By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Thursday, January 29, 2015

Halting President Obama's deportation amnesty will end up hurting Uncle Sam's bottom line, the Congressional Budget Office said Thursday in a new report that is bound to cause more problems for Republicans trying to block the White House's executive action.

While keeping illegal immigrants in the shadows would save the government billions on spending, it would also mean billions in taxes that never get paid, leaving the federal budget a total of $7.5 billion worse over the next decade than it would be if Mr. Obama's amnesties take effect as scheduled, the CBO said.

House Republicans have passed a bill to cancel the 2012 amnesty for so-called Dreamers and last November's new amnesty, which expands the policy for Dreamers and enacts a new program for illegal immigrant parents.

The bill is now awaiting action in the Senate, where GOP leaders said they plan to tackle it beginning next week.

While the White House has said up to 5 million illegal immigrants would be eligible for the two amnesties, the CBO said it expects only about 1.5 million parents and 750,000 Dreamers to take advantage by 2017.

"CBO expects that the parents who are eligible for this program will be less likely than the people who are eligible for the original program to declare their unlawful presence to the government for a three-year deferral; in addition, they may have a harder time proving eligibility," the analysts said.

Canceling the amnesties would mean those folks don't come forward and don't get the work permits that go along with the amnesty, sending many of them back to work off-the-books, which means less tax revenue for the government. The CBO said payroll taxes would take the biggest hit, suffering a $17 billion decline.

On the other hand, illegal immigrants won't get some tax credits and would be less likely to sign their U.S. citizen children up for benefits for fear of being exposed to the law, which would save the government money.

Among those benefits programs that would see less spending are: Pell grants for attending college, which would see 15,000 fewer enrollees; federal student loans, with 5,000 fewer beneficiaries; food stamps, with 40,000 children whose parents wouldn't sign them up; and Social Security's disability program, which would cover 15,000 fewer disabled children whose parents would balk at coming forward.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Obama amnesty would save feds $7.5 billion: CBO study
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 11:56:51 pm »
LMAO...the Congressional Budget Office is always so accurate with their predictions......../s
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 12:05:34 am »

Yeah, we all put so much faith in the information provided by our 'government'...      :silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 03:54:32 pm »
If you like your health plan you can keep your health plan. See they never lie to us.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 03:56:58 pm »
If you like your health plan you can keep your health plan. See they never lie to us.

Like unemployment rates that drop a significant portion of the work-force because they are 'discouraged',

Like inflation rates where the 'basket of goods' keeps changing,

Like GDP growth-rates that are calculated using a manipulated inflation rate,

The list essentially never ends...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 04:06:29 pm »
LMAO...the Congressional Budget Office is always so accurate with their predictions......../s

Everyone should know that until VERY recently (like last week) CBO was only allowed to use information provided by the government in it's calculations!

Can you say GIGO?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:07:21 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 03:50:06 am »
Everyone should know that until VERY recently (like last week) CBO was only allowed to use information provided by the government in it's calculations!

Can you say GIGO?

"GIGO"

That's a gigolo without his hair ol, ain't it?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 03:53:36 am »

"GIGO"

That's a gigolo without his hair ol, ain't it?

That is perhaps the very first computer age acronym ever invented.  G(arbage) I(n) G(arbage) O(ut).

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 03:54:41 am »
That is perhaps the very first computer age acronym ever invented.  G(arbage) I(n) G(arbage) O(ut).

Yup.  I like the provenance of the computer "bug" even better tho'.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 03:57:13 am »
Yup.  I like the provenance of the computer "bug" even better tho'.

ROFLMAO!!!  :thumbsup:

- J. R. R. Tolkien