Author Topic: They're back! The new tea party surge  (Read 1661 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
They're back! The new tea party surge
« on: January 29, 2015, 01:48:56 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/tea-party-2016-elections-114701.html?hp=t4_r

They're back! The new tea party surge

House and Senate Republicans are already facing primary threats.

By Alex Isenstadt

1/29/15 5:33 AM EST

Congress hasn’t even been in session a month and a raft of Republicans are already being threatened with primaries in 2016.

The reasons run the gamut, from backing John Boehner for speaker to objecting to an anti-abortion bill. One congressman is under fire for failing to amass clout that would help his district on a key issue. It’s the latest proof that divisions within the GOP are very much alive, despite the triumph of the establishment GOP wing over the tea party in last year’s midterms.

Since the new Congress kicked off Jan. 6, more than a half-dozen Republican congressmen and senators have drawn potential challengers from the right – an unusual level of intra-party electoral strife this early in the campaign season. Many of the incumbents have reputations as solid conservatives – lawmakers like North Carolina Rep. Renee Ellmers, who was elected on the tea party wave of 2010, and Kansas Sen. Jerry Moran, who oversaw the party’s Senate campaign arm in the midterms — but have nonetheless drawn the ire of tea party adversaries.

A few of the potential challengers are mulling repeat bids after losing in 2014, betting that growing voter discontent with incumbents will put them over the top in two years. Many of the primary campaigns are almost certain to fizzle once the reality of what it takes to dethrone a sitting lawmaker sets in. Regardless, it’s a rude awakening for a Republican establishment that hoped it had put insurgent challenges to rest.

“There is an unprecedented level of disquiet,” said Daniel Horowitz, who has worked as a political strategist for tea party groups. “There’s a sense that the Republicans in Washington don’t share the beliefs of the conservative platform, or don’t fight for them.”

Democrats have comparatively fewer divisions, despite being in the minority in both chambers of Congress. In party circles, there’s little talk about primaries.

The most serious potential Republican primary race is in North Carolina, where Ellmers has come under ferocious criticism on an issue of central importance to conservatives: abortion. Jim Duncan, chairman of the Chatham County Republican Party, is said to be considering challenging Ellmers following her successful push to stop the passage of an anti-abortion bill that she criticized as too stringent. It required a rape victim to report an assault to authorities in order to qualify for an exemption from the bill’s restrictions on abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy.

The problem for others is their perceived closeness with Republican leaders deemed too moderate by tea party activists. After Georgia Rep. Doug Collins, a freshman, cast his vote for Boehner, a local radio host named Al Gainey said he was considering a primary campaign. The same goes for Pennsylvania Rep. Bill Shuster, the powerful chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, who also backed Boehner for another term as speaker. Within days, Art Halvorson, a wealthy real estate developer, and Travis Schooley, an Army veteran, said they were weighing rematches against Shuster after falling short against him in 2014.

“Bill picks party over principle,” Schooley said. “He’s in Boehner and Co.”

A Shuster spokesman, Sean Joyce, brushed off the criticism, saying that the congressman “is focused on the job the people of Central and Southwestern Pennsylvania sent him to Washington to do.”

The rap on Texas Rep. Randy Neugebauer: He’s just not getting the job done. Neugebauer’s prospective opponent, Lubbock Mayor Glen Robertson, has criticized the six-term congressman for not being a forceful enough voice for the West Texas cotton industry. Robertson has attacked Neugebauer for lacking a sufficiently senior position on the influential Agriculture Committee.

“I am giving serious consideration to running for Congress,” Robertson wrote in an email, “and feel that it is critical that District 19 find effective leadership for the future of our district.”

The challengers say they’re getting started early out of necessity. David Gerson, a 47-year-old engineer who has already launched a primary campaign against GOP Rep. John Kline, said he hoped to give himself a head start on raising money — something he struggled to do in his unsuccessful 2014 campaign against the seven-term incumbent.

“Quite frankly, we have a much bigger challenge as someone running in a primary,” he said. As in his last campaign, Gerson is criticizing Kline as insufficiently conservative on federal spending.

On the other side of the Capitol, several senators are also facing the prospect of primary campaigns. Milton Wolf, a conservative Kansas physician who lost a bid against GOP Sen. Pat Roberts, recently took to Twitter to criticize Moran, the state’s other senator. That led some people in the state to speculate about another primary face-off. In Arizona, there is persistent talk that GOP Sen. John McCain, who has long faced opposition from the tea party wing, will have a challenge.

As in previous years, some of the tea party candidates are likely to find a well of support from the Club for Growth, the Washington -based anti-tax group that has often backed conservative hopefuls against sitting Republican incumbents. A spokesman for the group, Barney Keller, said it had made no decisions on whether to back prospective primary challengers.

“When there is an actual race between two or more candidates, we go through our normal process of deciding whether or not to get involved,” Keller said.

For all the advantages they have, incumbents learned a valuable lesson from former House Majority Leader Eric Cantor’s stunning loss last year to an underfunded and virtually unknown challenger: Primaries can’t be taken for granted. Top GOP strategists say they’re preparing more intensely than ever for the primary season. And they’re bracing for more Republican challengers to step forward.

“If we thought 2012 and 2014 were busy election cycles, 2016 is going to be even more intense,” said John McLaughlin, a veteran GOP pollster who worked for Cantor.

Regardless of how serious the primary candidates are, their presence could affect what Republicans achieve legislatively. Many in the party want to pass immigration reform, believing that it would help the party woo critical Hispanic voters in the presidential race. But supporting an overhaul may be difficult for members facing the specter of challenges from the right.

Erick Erickson, an influential tea party leader and conservative commentator, said the House GOP’s decision to reelect Boehner as speaker had sparked initial conversations among conservative activists about launching primaries. Those talks, he said, inevitably will become louder in the months to come, as the newly empowered Republican majority faces tough calls on legislation.

“Right now,” he said, “it’s just a simmering under the surface.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: They're back! The new tea party surge
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 02:13:49 pm »
They never went anywhere in the first place despite all the BS to the contrary!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 04:59:50 am »
TEA is alive and very well!   :patriot:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 07:36:44 am »
Oh No!
The GOPe went too far!
They re-elected Speaker Boehner.
The last straw or something.
Primaries again but even more so!!!
The Tea Party is still relevant.
rinse.
repeat.
yawn.

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 01:58:44 pm »
Oh No!
The GOPe went too far!
They re-elected Speaker Boehner.
The last straw or something.
Primaries again but even more so!!!
The Tea Party is still relevant.
rinse.
repeat.
yawn.

Interestingly, the progressive Republicans/GOP establishment have already came out early to try to gather their millions to fight TEA and the Dems.  Reflecting back on all the money Romney had and the little money Rick Santorum had and how close he came to becoming the GOP nominee spoke volumes.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 02:06:16 pm »
Interestingly, the progressive Republicans/GOP establishment have already came out early to try to gather their millions to fight TEA and the Dems.  Reflecting back on all the money Romney had and the little money Rick Santorum had and how close he came to becoming the GOP nominee spoke volumes.

Rick Santorum was a Tea Party candidate?  You're scaring me.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 02:34:57 pm »
Joe Biden is afraid of the tea party. Maybe it really does exist.
Biden: Last six years have been ‘really tough for our party’
By Ed O'Keefe January 30 at 1:24 PM 
WashPost blog

PHILADELPHIA -- In lengthy remarks to the caucus on Friday morning, Vice President Biden bluntly acknowledged that the Democratic Party has suffered electoral losses because the party struggled to defend policies it's put in place over the past six years.

Biden, speaking at the end of two days of meetings for House Democrats, said: "The past six years have been really, really hard for this country. And they’ve been really tough for our party. And together we made some really, really tough decisions. Decisions that weren’t at all popular. Hard to explain, hard to communicate why they’re so important they had to be made. And the decisions had real political cost."

"A lot of my friends and your friends in this caucus aren’t here today because they had the nerve to stand up and do what they thought was right, knowing that in the face of unrelenting political criticism, and with the Republican and tea party trying to stop us every step of the way, they knew they were going to be in trouble making the right calls," he added. ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 02:40:29 pm »

He sure as heck wasn't in my neck of the woods!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 02:43:30 pm »
They never went anywhere in the first place despite all the BS to the contrary!

Yeah, what a media fiction, I didn't realize they'd ever went anywhere. They even mentioned the Cantor loss, and they had a pretty good nite in the Texas primaries too, and others I don't recall. That would hardly be called disappearing.
The Republic is lost.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 03:24:31 pm »

Had Rick Santorum been the nominee, he would have been a blown out of epic proportions.. 
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online libertybele

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 05:02:35 pm »

Really?  Definite difference of opinion I guess.  Rick is TEA!!  The point I was trying to make is just because the GOPe has the $$ machine behind them doesn't necessarily make it a done deal. I like Santorum a lot.  Despite all the jokes about his sweaters, I like him.  I think he would make an excellent president and I would vote for him in a heartbeat. He is a strong conservative.  I think he speaks with conviction, morality, has integrity and stands for the conservative principles and fundamentals upon which this country was founded upon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M60OFqfhnjY

http://www.patriotvoices.com/

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Rick_Santorum.htm

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 05:31:53 pm »
Really?  Definite difference of opinion I guess.  Rick is TEA!!  The point I was trying to make is just because the GOPe has the $$ machine behind them doesn't necessarily make it a done deal. I like Santorum a lot.  Despite all the jokes about his sweaters, I like him.  I think he would make an excellent president and I would vote for him in a heartbeat. He is a strong conservative.  I think he speaks with conviction, morality, has integrity and stands for the conservative principles and fundamentals upon which this country was founded upon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M60OFqfhnjY

http://www.patriotvoices.com/

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Rick_Santorum.htm

I understood your point.  The vote for Santorum was definitely an anti-establishment vote.  But in my mind Santorum was not a Tea Party candidate.  Santorum was a SoCon fundy candidate, to be sure.  But to call him a Tea Party candidate reaffirms the view of those who say that the Tea Party is not a "Taxed Enough Already" movement, but just a fundamentalist Christian movement disguised as anti-tax.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 06:03:02 pm »
I understood your point.  The vote for Santorum was definitely an anti-establishment vote.  But in my mind Santorum was not a Tea Party candidate.  Santorum was a SoCon fundy candidate, to be sure.  But to call him a Tea Party candidate reaffirms the view of those who say that the Tea Party is not a "Taxed Enough Already" movement, but just a fundamentalist Christian movement disguised as anti-tax.
I agree. Santorum is a social conservative, no doubt. But I don't believe he ever was perceived as a small government guy, and that - no matter what some may think - is what the tea party is about.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 06:06:06 pm »
As I have stated repeatedly, after the initial success of the Tea Party, the social conservatives coopted the movement.

In the US House, Michelle Bachmann, with her "pray the gay away" husband, became the leader.

Died in the wool socons tried to don the cape of the TP movement, to enhance their identity. It may have helped them, but it hurt the Tea Party.

Here is a thorough Gallup poll series, tracks the decline of TP approval:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/147635/tea-party-movement.aspx

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 06:10:11 pm »
As I have stated repeatedly, after the initial success of the Tea Party, the social conservatives coopted the movement.

In the US House, Michelle Bachmann, with her "pray the gay away" husband, became the leader.

Died in the wool socons tried to don the cape of the TP movement, to enhance their identity. It may have helped them, but it hurt the Tea Party.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=138414.0
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 06:20:14 pm »
I agree. Santorum is a social conservative, no doubt. But I don't believe he ever was perceived as a small government guy, and that - no matter what some may think - is what the tea party is about.

Then what you're suggesting is the tea party is closer to a Libertarian movement then to a conservative movement. Correct?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 07:55:22 pm »
Then what you're suggesting is the tea party is closer to a Libertarian movement then to a conservative movement. Correct?
It's hard for me to say - the definitions of what is libertarian and what is conservative seem rather vague.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 08:00:49 pm »

When you are on your game, I really connect with your posts.  I agree totally with your assessment.  In the early days, I attended numerous Tea Party functions and I totally connected with the theme of fiscal restraint, Constitutional fidelity and individual responsibility/freedom.  Then, the SoCons entered with their strident voices.  Now? 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 08:32:00 pm »

Santorum was never "close" to becoming the GOP nominee.  He came in second place but had few delegates.

Rick Santorum, though Catholic, is the closest thing to a fundamentalist evangelical in the GOP race. He's worse than Huckabee.  And he has NO CHANCE at ever winning the Republican nomination. Hell, he got kicked out of his Senate seat over his women-should-stay-home views in his failure of a book.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 09:42:30 pm »

The beginning of the tea party was a rant by Rick Santelli at the Chicago Commodity Exchange.  The name TEA stood for Taxed Enough Already.  Issues like abortion, immigration and other conservative hot button issues were not part of the original Tea Party movement.  It was originally an anti big government movement.

I would not call it libertarian because the original Tea Party did not take up other libertarian issues such as pot legalization.  It was a big tent movement that encompassed all anti-government factions.  To some extent it has become a Southern redneck movement, but that is not entirely true.  It's a media meme, plus the result of anti-abortion, anti-immigration groups using the name to organize and raise money.

The important thing to remember is that the public sentiment that caused the Tea Party has not gone away by any means.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 10:23:15 pm »
When you are on your game, I really connect with your posts.  I agree totally with your assessment.  In the early days, I attended numerous Tea Party functions and I totally connected with the theme of fiscal restraint, Constitutional fidelity and individual responsibility/freedom.  Then, the SoCons entered with their strident voices.  Now?
One of the toughest challenges in center-right politics is convincing the far right 5 percent, that they are not 50 percent.

Initially the Tea Party was NOT a movement of the far right 5 percent. Instead it was a movement aimed at finding COMMON  ground with Independents, on fiscal issues.

When the socons got in, the Independents got out, .
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 01:30:21 am »
One of the toughest challenges in center-right politics is convincing the far right 5 percent, that they are not 50 percent.
Absolutely.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2015, 04:08:00 am »

When the socons got in, the Independents got out, .

Without a doubt.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2015, 06:17:50 am »

No man may be an island, but one individual can be both a TEA Party and a majority.

Go figure.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx