Author Topic: 70 years later, Hitchcock’s Holocaust footage airs  (Read 2495 times)

Online Lando Lincoln

70 years later, Hitchcock’s Holocaust footage airs
« on: January 27, 2015, 03:31:15 pm »
70 years later, Hitchcock’s Holocaust footage airs
‘Night Will Fall’ tells the story of post-war filmmakers assigned to document the Nazi brutality
By Tamar Pileggi   January 27, 2015

Holocaust documentary about unreleased Alfred Hitchcock footage of the liberation of Nazi concentration camps aired in 15 countries Monday, as part of the international Holocaust Remembrance Day commemorations.

HBO’s “Night Will Fall” includes harrowing footage captured by the legendary filmmaker, who recorded the grim scene that met Allied troops at Bergen-Belsen, Dachau and Auschwitz in the spring of 1945.

Initially, Hitchcock together with media baron Sidney Bernstein were commissioned by the British government to make “German Concentration Camps Factual Survey,” a documentary that was intended to show Germans the horrors of Nazi brutality.

However, Cold War politics prompted Britain to bury the project, and the documentary was never finished. The decision was made because British officials were concerned that the film would alienate Germany, a strategic political ally in post-WWII Europe.

The shelved footage — five finished reels and 100 unedited compilation reels — has been stored at the London Imperial War Museum archives for the last 70 years.

“Night Will Fall,” directed by Andre Singer, tells the story of “Factual Survey,” incorporating Hitchcock’s original footage with current interviews with the film crew who were involved in the project.

The footage captured in 1945 is explicitly brutal, and includes scenes of naked, emaciated corpses stacked meters high being buried in mass graves, and the discovery of warehouses full of glasses, teeth and human hair.

The documentary’s title refers to the original Hitchcock-Bernstein script: “Unless the world learns the lessons these pictures teach, night will fall.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422327029&x-yt-cl=84838260&v=lbB9NCYzQVU
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

Re: 70 years later, Hitchcock’s Holocaust footage airs
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 03:33:09 pm »
That two minute trailer will make your hair stand on end. 

(For me, it also invokes thoughts of what is taking place in our world today.)
John Steinbeck

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 03:48:55 pm »
I want to see it, but don't have HBO.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 04:17:42 pm »

Could not possibly watch this – not even the trailer. The thought of human brutality depresses me beyond my ability to cope. Would take days for me to come out of it.

I've never watched even one of the videos of decapitation on the Internet. Imagination alone is sufficient.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 04:25:50 pm »

I've never watched even one of the videos of decapitation on the Internet. Imagination alone is sufficient.

Same with me.
John Steinbeck

Offline olde north church

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 08:32:59 pm »
I don't have the luxury to turn away.  It is my responsibility as a human being to be a witness.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 09:21:40 pm »
I don't have the luxury to turn away.  It is my responsibility as a human being to be a witness.

More power to you. I just can't bring myself to look.

I have no trouble watching slasher films to see the Hollywood magic of filmmaking. But, that's fantasy, I know it's not real.

But, watch some sub human killer dispatch a human being in such as callous cold-blooded manner? No, that I can't do.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 09:37:51 pm »
Have no interest in inputting that 'data' on to my mental 'hard drive'.

Humans are basically pigs to one another.  No thanks.    **nononono*
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 03:24:30 am »
Second only to not being able to imagine the horror of being a prisoner in one of those camps, I cannot imagine what it was like to be one of the soldiers who first entered one of those camps.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 07:35:07 am »
Second only to not being able to imagine the horror of being a prisoner in one of those camps, I cannot imagine what it was like to be one of the soldiers who first entered one of those camps.

My uncle told us kids, once when he got very, very drunk. The first soldiers into Dachau - the inmates basically held them up. They were crying so hard they couldn't stand.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 05:30:23 pm »
I want to see it, but don't have HBO.  **nononono*
I would like to see it as well. i was able to visit the Holocaust Museum in DC in 2006. I had known about all the things I saw. While walking thru it I could hear people gasping in some areas. They have a railroad car used to transport Jews and others to the death camps. You walk right thru it. Piles of shoes personnel belongings. Anyway I knew about all the thing I saw until the final area. It was a huge IBM machine with punch cards the Nazis used to keep tract of all the ones going to their death.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 08:34:30 pm »
I would like to see it as well. i was able to visit the Holocaust Museum in DC in 2006. I had known about all the things I saw. While walking thru it I could hear people gasping in some areas. They have a railroad car used to transport Jews and others to the death camps. You walk right thru it. Piles of shoes personnel belongings. Anyway I knew about all the thing I saw until the final area. It was a huge IBM machine with punch cards the Nazis used to keep tract of all the ones going to their death.

People would be surprised by the companies that continued to trade with the NAZIs though proxies and foreign subsidiaries.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline flowers

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 09:37:14 pm »
People would be surprised by the companies that continued to trade with the NAZIs though proxies and foreign subsidiaries.
it surprised me at the time.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 01:34:10 am »
We were quite moved by the Holocaust Museum, as well as the two KZ camps we visited in Germany. At Flossenburg (where Dietrich Bonhoeffer was executed), you could look at books listing the names of the inmates and we found people with the same (fairly uncommon) last name as my brother-in-law.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 04:45:53 pm »
We were quite moved by the Holocaust Museum, as well as the two KZ camps we visited in Germany. At Flossenburg (where Dietrich Bonhoeffer was executed), you could look at books listing the names of the inmates and we found people with the same (fairly uncommon) last name as my brother-in-law.
I had been in DC for a few days and thought hard and long about going. I am glad I did.