Author Topic: More Americans Than Forecast Filed Jobless Claims Last Week  (Read 1685 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
More Americans Than Forecast Filed Jobless Claims Last Week
« on: January 22, 2015, 02:59:52 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=620014

Newsmax
More Americans Than Forecast Filed Jobless Claims Last Week
Thursday, January 22, 2015 08:34 AM

By: REUTERS

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits fell last week from a seven-month high, pointing to continued improvement in labor market conditions.

Initial claims for state unemployment benefits slipped 10,000 to a seasonally adjusted 307,000 for the week ended Jan. 17, the Labor Department said on Thursday.

That reversed the bulk of the prior week's increase which had pushed claims to their highest level since early June. The rise was dismissed by economists as "noise" given that claims data is difficult to adjust for seasonal variations around the Christmas and New Year holidays.

Economists polled by Reuters had forecast claims falling to 300,000 last week. The prior week's data was revised to show 1,000 more claims received than previously reported.

The four-week moving average of claims, considered a better measure of labor market trends as it irons out week-to-week volatility, increased 6,500 last week to 306,500, taking it above the 300,000 mark for the first time since September.

The claims data covered the week during which the government surveyed employers for January's nonfarm payrolls.

Despite the gyrations in claims and the four-week average rising 7,750 between the December and January payroll survey periods, there is little doubt that the labor market is tightening.

Employment gains have exceeded 200,000 in each of the last 11 months, the longest stretch since 1994, and job openings are near 14-year highs. In addition, the ratio of unemployed people for every job opening is the lowest since early 2008.

The claims report showed the number of people still receiving benefits after an initial week of aid increased 15,000 to 2.44 million in the week ended Jan. 10.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: More Americans Than Forecast Filed Jobless Claims Last Week
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 03:09:41 pm »
I've had it!

When in the hell is SOMEBODY going to look behind the curtain?   **nononono*
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 03:54:30 pm »
I got dizzy just reading that article. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 03:55:07 pm »
I got dizzy just reading that article. 

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 04:01:55 pm »
 :silly:

(I assume you posted the same message twice for effect. No? Well, then, I'm just in a silly mood)

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 04:12:17 pm »
:silly:

(I assume you posted the same message twice for effect. No? Well, then, I'm just in a silly mood)

LOL!  I told you I was dizzy!   8888spinning cat

(I didn't even think it was possible to post the same message twice.)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 05:24:15 pm »
I've had it!

When in the hell is SOMEBODY going to look behind the curtain?   **nononono*

When in the hell is SOMEBODY who matters going to look behind the curtain?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 03:34:21 pm »
When in the hell is SOMEBODY who matters going to look behind the curtain?

When the hell is the public going to care?

Oh, I know, when they are hungry and in the streets, with no internet access.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 05:26:47 pm »
Apropos of the headline unemployment figures.  I had a sudden speculative thought:  various media sources have noted that the number of people getting disability from the Social Security Admin has skyrocketed.  Well, it seems to me that if you're receiving SSA disability, then you are considered to no longer be looking for work simply because of that.  Since the unemployment rate keys off of the number of people who are looking for work, the more out-of-work people you can put onto SSA disability, the more out-of-work people you can take out of the number of "unemployed" for statistical purposes.  That effectively allows the government to drive down the apparent rate of unemployment.

In other words, one might reasonably suspect that the SSA under Obama has been ordered to allow disability claims it would have summarily dismissed before the Obama (mal)administration came to power, simply to keep the headline unemployment figures down artificially.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 06:16:05 pm »
Apropos of the headline unemployment figures.  I had a sudden speculative thought:  various media sources have noted that the number of people getting disability from the Social Security Admin has skyrocketed.  Well, it seems to me that if you're receiving SSA disability, then you are considered to no longer be looking for work simply because of that.  Since the unemployment rate keys off of the number of people who are looking for work, the more out-of-work people you can put onto SSA disability, the more out-of-work people you can take out of the number of "unemployed" for statistical purposes.  That effectively allows the government to drive down the apparent rate of unemployment.

In other words, one might reasonably suspect that the SSA under Obama has been ordered to allow disability claims it would have summarily dismissed before the Obama (mal)administration came to power, simply to keep the headline unemployment figures down artificially.

:thumbsup:

No doubt.