Author Topic: Must Watch Video-hand assembly of Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid Supercar  (Read 984 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Video-hand assembly of Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid Supercar

http://blog.caranddriver.com/must-watch-amazing-video-of-the-porsche-918-spyder-being-assembled/

Porsche is one brand, in the VW Group's lineup

VW Group is now #2 in worldwide sales volume, displacing General Motors. VW's goal is #1.

The technologies in supercars often move "down market" into consumer priced vehicles.

This vehicle is a limited production model, with 918 being hand assembled during 2014. The largest number, nearly 300, are for the USA.

The list price is $845,000 and the total power from combined V8 gasoline, and plug in Hybrid is nearly 900 hp.

They are sold out for 2014. Contrast this with Detroit, losing population, tearing down homes, etc.

BTW the Porsche is assembled in Zuffenhausen, near Stuttgart. I expect most if not all workers are bilingual or multilingual.

Mercedes Benz is also in a suburb of Stuttgart. Some other models of the VW Group are also made in nearby Neckarsulm.

BTW all of the brands from Germany are introducing turbocharged four cylinder gas engines, diesel engines and hybrids right now.

The risk averse former big three are not keeping pace. Reality is interesting. It is up to date, and forward looking.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 02:03:24 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

Re: Must Watch Video-hand assembly of Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid Supercar
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 01:55:31 am »
I always love watching new engines being assembled.  They go together so easily, but are such a b*tch to disassemble later on.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 02:29:35 am »
I always love watching new engines being assembled.  They go together so easily, but are such a b*tch to disassemble later on.
Pretty classy looking auto factory, huh?

FYI there was a magazine article a few months ago about $1 million supercars from Porsche, McLaren and Ferrari--all using hybrid powertrains.

High end vehicles and advanced technology interest me, because later consumer vehicles benefit. Examples would be four wheel disc brakes, ABS brakes, radial tires, etc. Oh, and seatbelts introduced in Europe BEFORE made mandatory in the US.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 02:54:05 am »
Pretty classy looking auto factory, huh?

FYI there was a magazine article a few months ago about $1 million supercars from Porsche, McLaren and Ferrari--all using hybrid powertrains.

High end vehicles and advanced technology interest me, because later consumer vehicles benefit. Examples would be four wheel disc brakes, ABS brakes, radial tires, etc. Oh, and seatbelts introduced in Europe BEFORE made mandatory in the US.

I agree about high-end vehicles leading the curve on new technologies.  It only makes sense because it's really only the high-end producers who can charge enough of a premium to cover the initial investment costs needed to bring a new technology to production.  Once that's been accomplished, the experience gained by the high-end manufacturer makes it possible to commodify the new technology after a few years, at which point it starts moving down the feeding chain.