Author Topic: Boehner invites Obama to deliver State of Union  (Read 2350 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Boehner invites Obama to deliver State of Union
« on: December 19, 2014, 04:32:15 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/227669-boehner-invites-obama-to-deliver-state-of-union

By Scott Wong - 12/19/14 10:30 AM EST
Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) on Friday officially invited President Obama to give his annual State of the Union address in the House chamber at 9 p.m. on Jan. 20.

But the invitation came as congressional Republicans have ripped Obama for abusing his executive authority. They sued Obama this year for unilaterally making changes to his health care law. And they've clashed with him in recent days and weeks over his executive actions on immigration and normalizing diplomatic relations with Cuba.

Some conservatives in Boehner's GOP caucus had even urged him to block Obama from giving his annual address, even though it is part of the president's constitutional duties.

Boehner's invitation was friendly -- he even wished Obama a "Merry Christmas." But the Speaker also noted Obama, for the first time, will be addressing a Congress fully controlled by Republicans.

"The new year will bring a new American Congress, and with it, the opportunity to continue our work to build a stronger economy and secure a better future for our country," Boehner said in his invitation to Obama.

"In that spirit, it is my honor to invite you to address a Joint Session of Congress on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 so that you may fulfill your duty under the Constitution to report on the state of the union and recommend measures for our consideration.  Your report will inform our efforts to address the people’s priorities."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Boehner invites Obama to deliver State of Union
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 12:09:09 am »
Crying couches all around.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 12:16:09 am »
I wonder what would happen if Boehner didn't invite him...a firestorm on Cap Hill like we have never seen before I bet..lol
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 12:46:00 am »
Some conservatives in Boehner's GOP caucus had even urged him to block Obama from giving his annual address, even though it is part of the president's constitutional duties.

Now this, this is pure insanity.  Don't we have better things to do than look like a bunch of idiots messing around with a traditional dog-and-pony show?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 12:54:35 am »
Has it ever not been done before?
Support the USO

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 12:56:43 am »

Who really cares?  Why give the democrats a treasure trove of ammunition over something that is really meaningless but is also a constitutional requirement.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 12:56:53 am »
Now this, this is pure insanity.  Don't we have better things to do than look like a bunch of idiots messing around with a traditional dog-and-pony show?

From Thomas Jefferson until Woodrow Wilson, the SOTU was simply a written report sent to Congress.  There was no speech actually given; it was simply read by the clerk.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 12:57:28 am »
From Thomas Jefferson until Woodrow Wilson, the SOTU was simply a written report sent to Congress.  There was no speech actually given; it was simply read by the clerk.

I'll say it again:  Why give the democrats a treasure trove of ammunition over something that is really meaningless but is also a constitutional requirement.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 01:13:05 am »

Who really cares?  Why give the democrats a treasure trove of ammunition over something that is really meaningless but is also a constitutional requirement.

I agree with the first part of your statement...it would be a treasure trove indeed.  Besides, more and more Americans prefer watching a sonogram than this tripe.

But the Constitution requires a report on the State of the Union.  This requirement can easily be met via the written word.   The televised SOTU is a modern tradition, not a Constitutional requirement.

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 02:03:35 am »
I agree with the first part of your statement...it would be a treasure trove indeed.  Besides, more and more Americans prefer watching a sonogram than this tripe.

But the Constitution requires a report on the State of the Union.  This requirement can easily be met via the written word.   The televised SOTU is a modern tradition, not a Constitutional requirement.

Fair enough on the second part.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 01:40:16 pm »

Washington, after his first State of the union, refused to attend again, and sent a letter every year. There's precedent in spades. Why the F*CK invite the Grifter in Chief to your building, KNOWING he's going to lie to your face?
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 03:40:12 pm »
Washington, after his first State of the union, refused to attend again, and sent a letter every year. There's precedent in spades. Why the F*CK invite the Grifter in Chief to your building, KNOWING he's going to lie to your face?

Until we can call him what he is - the enemy - we cannot defeat him.  This is NOT how you treat your enemy!

Is that not nice of me? 

Xin Loi.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 06:59:15 pm »
I'm in favor of the Worm being invited to give the state of the Union address in person.

Of course, if I was asked, I might "accidentally" pull the fuses to the teleprompters just as he started. Let's see the great orator without his crutch, in his own words, and in front of a politely hostile audience.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 07:09:04 pm »
So then what about all of the precedents set between Washington and now?

Washington had slaves, and some wanted to make him a King. FDR was elected four times, during my mother's lifetime.

Precedents?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 07:23:29 pm »
So then what about all of the precedents set between Washington and now?

Washington had slaves, and some wanted to make him a King. FDR was elected four times, during my mother's lifetime.

Precedents?

The precedent under discussion involves whether or not the President must be present to deliver the State of the Union address. It has nothing to do with which Presidents held slaves when slavery was legal, nor which Presidents [President, actually] chose to exceed the traditional, one might say precedetial, voluntary two term limit in office. For most of the 18th and 19th century the answer was a resounding 'NO'. As to your first precedent: [1] Irrelevant, and [2],at the time of Washington's Presidency, legal. As for the second 'precedent' you cited, that matter was settled by Constitutional Amendment, a process the Teleprompter in Chief seems to find cumbersome in his dealings with Congress and the Constitution. And if Washington could not tell a lie, Il Douche cannot tell the truth. Why give him a forum.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 07:47:24 pm »
The precedent under discussion involves whether or not the President must be present to deliver the State of the Union address. It has nothing to do with which Presidents held slaves when slavery was legal, nor which Presidents [President, actually] chose to exceed the traditional, one might say precedetial, voluntary two term limit in office. For most of the 18th and 19th century the answer was a resounding 'NO'. As to your first precedent: [1] Irrelevant, and [2],at the time of Washington's Presidency, legal. As for the second 'precedent' you cited, that matter was settled by Constitutional Amendment, a process the Teleprompter in Chief seems to find cumbersome in his dealings with Congress and the Constitution. And if Washington could not tell a lie, Il Douche cannot tell the truth. Why give him a forum.

You give him the forum, just as every president in recent memory got the forum. You act with traditional respect for the office.

You avoid the fringe tendencies, with no upside and plenty of downside. I would expect Sen. Cruz would give you the same advice.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 08:30:04 pm »
You give him the forum, just as every president in recent memory got the forum. You act with traditional respect for the office.

You avoid the fringe tendencies, with no upside and plenty of downside. I would expect Sen. Cruz would give you the same advice.

Exactly.

At this point in time, I think that the best thing to do is to have as many of his lies and obfuscations as possible on record. For the sake of history and the endless ammunition that it will give future generations when looking for an example of what constitutes a bad President.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online libertybele

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 08:42:27 pm »
Exactly.

At this point in time, I think that the best thing to do is to have as many of his lies and obfuscations as possible on record. For the sake of history and the endless ammunition that it will give future generations when looking for an example of what constitutes a bad President.

Why should we worry about such pomp and circumstance when we should be worried about what executive order he'll be issuing next? The main focus and goal should be stopping the Obama insanity.  Everything else is really secondary.  If we don't stop his agenda, we won't need to worry about much else as we won't have a country left.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 08:54:03 pm »
Exactly.

:thumbsup:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 08:55:47 pm »
Why should we worry about such pomp and circumstance when we should be worried about what executive order he'll be issuing next? The main focus and goal should be stopping the Obama insanity.  Everything else is really secondary.  If we don't stop his agenda, we won't need to worry about much else as we won't have a country left.

Should the GOP ask the DNC whether or not they are OK with the reasons why Obama won'r be invited to deliver the speech?

I'm sure that if we don't they won't ask us when they start not inviting a sitting Republican President.

Not inviting Obama to give the speech is petty and accomplishes nothing more than giving the left the opportunity to continue painting the right as bitter and petty haters.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 10:29:54 pm »

Not inviting Obama to give the speech is petty and accomplishes nothing more than giving the left the opportunity to continue painting the right as bitter and petty haters.

I agree.  They don't have a "thumbs up" bigger than the one I used above, or I'd use it here.  This issue comes up every year.  I'd like to see people start protesting by not showing up (like SCOTUS.  They should not have come again after Obama used a SOTU speech to rag them out in public).
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 02:59:08 am »
[[ I'd like to see people start protesting by not showing up (like SCOTUS.) ]]

Agree.

The entire Republican delegation should call in sick that night.

Let Obama give his address -- to a more-than-half empty chamber.

Is this guy still around?
Maybe we should send just him in:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 04:12:58 am »
Joe Wilson.  He disappointed me then because he apologized for "You lie!"  It turned out he was telling the 100% truth, and he apologized for doing so.  Very disappointing.
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 03:39:33 pm »
I agree.  They don't have a "thumbs up" bigger than the one I used above, or I'd use it here.  This issue comes up every year.  I'd like to see people start protesting by not showing up (like SCOTUS.  They should not have come again after Obama used a SOTU speech to rag them out in public).

With that I completely agree. 

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 07:09:44 pm »
I agree the SCOTUS could/should pass on the SOTU, I think the optics of GOP representatives not showing up for the speech are just as damaging to the GOP brand as not inviting the President to Congress to explain why he is such a screw up.  With all the perceived problems in the USA, not showing up screams "Meet the GOP majority...Same as the rat Majority.  My way or the highway."  When Wilson called the President a liar the voters were not ready to hear it.  The voters don't like Obama as much as they used to, but the GOP should privately thwart and stall President Obama at each turn, and outwardly they should smile when the mention the President and talk of a new working relationship with him.