Author Topic: IRS warns of possible shutdown  (Read 1227 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
IRS warns of possible shutdown
« on: December 18, 2014, 09:14:15 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/irs-possible-temporary-shutdown-113681.html

IRS warns of possible shutdown

By Rachael Bade

12/18/14 3:30 PM EST

The IRS is considering its own temporary shutdown due to recent budget cuts enacted by Congress, its chief said Thursday.

IRS Commissioner John Koskinen said furloughs — forced unpaid days off for employees as part of an IRS closure — is one idea reluctantly being tossed about to save money, though they are hoping they will not have to go there.

“There is no way we can say right now that that won’t happen,” Koskinen told reporters at a press conference on the upcoming tax season. “Again, I would stress that would be the last option.”

(Also on POLITICO: IRS to freeze hiring, cut enforcement)

He said a one-day closure would save an estimated $29 million.

The news comes a day after Koskinen warned IRS employees that overtime would be suspended and a hiring freeze enacted.

Koskinen took over the agency after it faced big criticism following the controversy over added scrutiny given to tea party groups seeking tax-exempt status. Republicans, never a fan of the IRS, have sought to cut its budget further ever since.

In the recent budget deal, Congress cut the IRS budget by $ 346 million to $10.9 billion, making it nearly a billion down from several years back.

(Also on POLITICO: Republicans seek to cripple IRS)

The agency was one of the only agencies that was reduced — despite the storm of a tax season looming on the horizon. The IRS will be implementing Obamacare tax credits and penalties for the first time, among other new responsibilities.

Koskinen also said more tough news would likely follow as IRS leadership negotiates with the National Treasury Employees Union, particularly because personnel costs comprise about 75 percent of the IRS costs.

Koskinen said the IRS budget reductions are actually another $200 million more than what Congress cut because they had to give employee pay raises.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

Re: IRS warns of possible shutdown
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 09:35:29 pm »

:03:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 11:21:36 pm »
Dustin Ulsterman
33 mins ·
Obama IRS to delay your tax refund because they are angry over Congress limiting their budget. What a crock of SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is YOUR money they took from you.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 12:33:10 am »
Dustin Ulsterman
33 mins ·
Obama IRS to delay your tax refund because they are angry over Congress limiting their budget. What a crock of SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is YOUR money they took from you.

Won't delay my refund! Can't remember the last time i got one!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 12:53:32 am »

:03:

:thumbsup:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 01:09:43 am »
Dustin Ulsterman
33 mins ·

Actually, it's your money that you let them have and use all year - without interest.  And yes, I understand that when you are self-employed you usually have to overpay to be safe.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 01:24:13 am »
Can anyone here imagine what life would be like if there were no IRS???

Just asking!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 01:26:24 am »
Shut it down permanently

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 01:29:58 am »
Dustin Ulsterman
33 mins ·

Like every other gov't agency (beast), the priorities are based on what will help them the most rather than what will help the tax paying citizens the most.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 02:04:30 am »
You should pay taxes quarterly and sparingly. I always try to make sure I owe them instead of them owing me. I strust the government less than I do a used car salesman. And I know that eventually, they will stop refunding altogether what they consider to be 'their' money that they are generously giving you.

It is only a matter of time. Even as it is now, if they take your money, whether you owe it not, if they have it for whatever reason, it is impossible to get it back.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 02:16:46 am »

- J. R. R. Tolkien