Author Topic: If you had to choose: Jeb Bush or Chris Christie as nominee?  (Read 4296 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
If you had to choose: Jeb Bush or Chris Christie as nominee?
« on: December 16, 2014, 11:32:42 pm »
http://hotair.com/archives/2014/12/16/if-you-had-to-choose-jeb-bush-or-chris-christie-as-nominee/

If you had to choose: Jeb Bush or Chris Christie as nominee?
posted at 4:01 pm on December 16, 2014 by Allahpundit

I asked this on Twitter and naturally 50 people instantly responded “SMOD.” Sorry, we’re not that lucky. With Jeb in the race, Christie very likely to get in, and Romney and Rubio now likely to pass, the field of loud-and-proud centrists appears to be set at two. And since the donor class loves centrists and the donor class tends to get its way in presidential primaries, that means one of these two guys is likely to be nominee. If it comes to that, whom do you prefer? And before you say “I’ll stay home,” let me note: (1) conservatives say that every time a moderate lands the nomination and every time they end up turning out for him in the general, and (2) I’m not asking whether you’ll vote for either of them. I’m asking who you’d rather see as president. Jeb, right? Bush has been louder than Christie has in pushing immigration reform but we’ll all be shocked if Christie is any less of a RINO on amnesty in practice than Jeb is. Meanwhile, Jeb at least is well regarded by the NRA; Christie’s relationship with the NRA is more contentious. But then, if you’re worried about electability, Christie has none of the baggage that comes with the Bush name. And Ben Shapiro is right that Jeb is more closely identified with amnesty among voters who pay attention, even if he and Christie doubtless share many of the same positions on the issue:

Ben Shapiro @benshapiro
Follow

GOP geniuses. In 2012, top issue was Obamacare, so we ran the Republican who invented it. In 2016, top issue is immigration, so we run Jeb?
10:28 AM - 16 Dec 2014

Follow-up question: If Jeb is serious about running a “truth-telling campaign” in the primaries aimed at marginalizing conservatives, how does that change Christie’s tactics? The irony of Jeb taking on the dreaded tea-party hordes is that it’s exactly the sort of thing you’d expect Christie to do. He’s the guy, after all, who built a national reputation for going toe to toe with his critics, including his critics on the right. Punching tea partiers on the stump would have been a shrewd way for him to earn the donor class’s love — except for the fact that it sounds like Jeb’s going to do the same thing, if not as combatively. So what does Christie do now? Plow ahead and throw roundhouses at the right anyway, hoping that centrist Republicans will quickly come to see him and not Jeb as the RINO warrior they’ve dreamed of? Or does he surprise everyone by changing direction and going after Jeb for trying to drive a wedge into a party that should be coming together to beat Democrats? Voters love unity pitches; and while defending tea partiers from Bush won’t get Christie votes on the right, it might earn him the respect he needs to get them to turn out for him in the general. That is to say, if Christie’s destined to be overshadowed by Bush and his mammoth donor-class support, the smart play might be to position himself early as the “Not Jeb” in the race. The more he can turn the campaign into a “Bush versus Christie” storyline, the more it would push other serious contenders like Walker and Paul out of the spotlight. There will, I think, be some burst of anti-Bush energy in the primaries, especially if Jeb looks strong early. Christie needs to figure out a way to harness it or else he’ll be an afterthought before he knows it.

One more follow-up because I can’t resist: If you had to choose between Jeb, Christie, and Romney, who would you choose? I’m guessing most readers would say Romney, partly because they found him acceptable enough once before to vote for him and partly because Romney, though famously stiff, is also the most likable of the three. Christie is boorish and Jeb, rightly or wrongly, will be seen as aloof and entitled because of his dynastic pedigree. Plus, Romney’s the only one of the three (so far) who’s tried to mend fences with the right. We all laughed at his “severely conservative” nonsense at CPAC a few years ago but at least the guy wanted our votes. That’s not nothing. Frankly, given Christie’s ever lengthening odds at winning and Romney’s obvious ambition, I wonder if the smart play for both isn’t to unite, have Romney challenge Jeb, and have Christie sit out with a tacit promise to land on the ticket as VP if Romney wins. I don’t think Christie would go for it, though: An ego as big as his won’t accept that he can’t be president unless he sees it for himself, and there’s really no reason to think “somewhat conservative” voters would prefer the retread Romney to the comparatively fresh-faced Bush, who’ll have lots of hype behind him. Why throw in with a guy who struggled early to win the nomination in a famously weak field last time and then ended up being blown out by a president with eight percent unemployment on his record? I think it’s Bush versus Christie in the center — unless, of course, Rubio shocks the world by jumping in anyway.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: If you had to choose: Jeb Bush or Chris Christie as nominee?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 11:43:49 pm »
Jeb Bush, hands down. He would be a better President than either Christie or Romney IMHO.  I'd prefer almost anyone else in the field, however. 

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 12:13:40 am »

If I was *forced* to choose... I think I'd kill myself...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 12:17:09 am »

000hehehehe
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 12:19:35 am »

LOL!   I hear you, brother!   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 12:34:39 am »

:thumbsup2:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 01:14:02 am »
Jeb Bush, hands down. He would be a better President than either Christie or Romney IMHO.  I'd prefer almost anyone else in the field, however.

That's exactly how I felt about Mitt Romney and I'm sick to death of being put in that position!

I'll do everything in my power to see that it doesn't come to that!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 04:27:00 am »
Title:
[[ If you had to choose: Jeb Bush or Chris Christie as nominee? ]]

I've already made my choice.
If it's either of them, I'll leave that spot on the ballot blank, and vote for the other candidates.

And... that's all, folks!

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 04:35:18 am »
That's exactly how I felt about Mitt Romney and I'm sick to death of being put in that position!

I'll do everything in my power to see that it doesn't come to that!

So will I.  But in my mind Jeb Bush is nowhere near as bad as Romney.  He's squishy on immigration, that is true.  And I absolutely hate common core.  But his record as governor of Florida was quite conservative in comparison to Romney's record as governor of Massachusetts.  Jeb Bush showed himself to be more conservative than either his father or his brother.  I tend to evaluate politicians based on what they have actually done in office as opposed to what they say, so based on his record, Jeb Bush is a well-qualified conservative.

Politically, his name is a major obstacle, but then so is Hillary's.  And his position on amnesty is toxic to Tea Party conservatives, that is for sure.  But his record is mostly pro-life, pro-gun, anti-tax, anti-debt.   And you cannot say that about Romney (or Christie).

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 04:35:36 am by massadvj »

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 05:26:49 am »
If you give  one the value of  -1, and the other the value of  +1, I'd compromise. And go for 0.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline raml

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 11:49:22 am »
I's be a no vote for the first time since I was able to vote many many years ago.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 03:16:14 pm »
So will I.  But in my mind Jeb Bush is nowhere near as bad as Romney.  He's squishy on immigration, that is true.  And I absolutely hate common core.  But his record as governor of Florida was quite conservative in comparison to Romney's record as governor of Massachusetts.  Jeb Bush showed himself to be more conservative than either his father or his brother.  I tend to evaluate politicians based on what they have actually done in office as opposed to what they say, so based on his record, Jeb Bush is a well-qualified conservative.

Politically, his name is a major obstacle, but then so is Hillary's.  And his position on amnesty is toxic to Tea Party conservatives, that is for sure.  But his record is mostly pro-life, pro-gun, anti-tax, anti-debt.   And you cannot say that about Romney (or Christie).

I won't argue with a thing you said Victor but the immigration and Common Core crap are absolute killers for me!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 09:10:00 pm »

I beg to differ on this one.  I live in Florida and "W" is definitely more conservative of the two. Jeb was a nightmare with his land grabbing S&L scandals, Common Core is a nightmare as well as  his pro-amnesty stance.  I took offense to being addressed in Spanish during his speeches.  No thank you.

I would NOT vote for either Bush or Christie...UNLESS Wigwam Warren gets the nod.  Then I would probably vote for a RINO.  Otherwise I'd consider voting 3rd party.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 09:43:27 pm »
I'd marry a Canadian and head north, where they know how to elect conservatives. (Who'd have thought that not too long ago?!)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 09:53:46 pm »
Jeb Bush or Chris Christie?? 

That's an easy one: neither!!

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 10:18:51 pm »
Title:
[[ If you had to choose: Jeb Bush or Chris Christie as nominee? ]]

I've already made my choice.
If it's either of them, I'll leave that spot on the ballot blank, and vote for the other candidates.

And... that's all, folks!

In other words, you'll vote for the democrat ticket.

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 10:19:26 pm »
Of the two, Jeb Bush.  I have serious reservations about whether he would win, but of the two I would prefer him.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 02:38:47 am »
I'll write in 'none of the above'

Offline speekinout

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 02:53:07 am »
This is beginning to sound like 2012 all over again. Only instead of 0bama, many people here would help elect either Elizabeth Warren or hillary.
It does explain why so many like Ted Cruz. If you can't get perfection, you'd rather wallow in the mud than settle for most of what you claim to want. That's what Cruz does - and so far, that kind of tactic results in zero accomplishment (unless you count strengthening the dims an accomplishment).
 **nononono*

Offline Relic

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 02:56:29 am »

And if you did choose one of those two, and they won, you'd be killing the country.
Not much of a choice.

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 02:59:09 am »
Funny thing.

2008, the democrats won.  They celebrated, we recriminated.

2012, the democrats won.  They celebrated, we recriminated.

2014, the republicans won.  And now we're recriminating.

What's wrong with that picture.

Offline Relic

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 03:09:46 am »
Funny thing.

2008, the democrats won.  They celebrated, we recriminated.

2012, the democrats won.  They celebrated, we recriminated.

2014, the republicans won.  And now we're recriminating.

What's wrong with that picture.

The Democrats pushed a candidate that their base loved.

The Republicans push candidates the base can't tolerate, and show general contempt for conservatives.

THAT is what's wrong with the picture.

I haven't given up on the newly elected Republican Congress. I said I'd give them 6 months to a year. However, the early returns aren't good. I've already heard Republicans saying they can't do much with both chambers, but give them the presidency and Congress, and then they'll make things happen. Ugh.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 03:23:21 am »
This is beginning to sound like 2012 all over again. Only instead of 0bama, many people here would help elect either Elizabeth Warren or hillary.
It does explain why so many like Ted Cruz. If you can't get perfection, you'd rather wallow in the mud than settle for most of what you claim to want. That's what Cruz does - and so far, that kind of tactic results in zero accomplishment (unless you count strengthening the dims an accomplishment).
 **nononono*

The only ones helping warren or hillary would be the gop trying to force dem lite down the throat

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 03:42:23 am »
Oceander wrote above:
[[ In other words, you'll vote for the democrat ticket. ]]

I don't vote for democrats. I would stop voting entirely before I'd vote for a democrat again. I will admit that in my foolish younger years I behaved differently, but I came around. Even us dumb guys learn after a while.

But I'm simply tired of voting for politicians who are nothing more than Republican impersonators with democratic hearts.

If that's all we're going to get, as far as I'm concerned the whole government can go to h*** (it's pretty much there already). I'll go out and ride the Harley as long as I can still afford some gas and have strength enough to get on it.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 03:58:31 am »
Since 1932 only one GOP president makes the grade as "conservative." 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln