Author Topic: UK Sought Changes To Senate CIA Torture Report  (Read 397 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
UK Sought Changes To Senate CIA Torture Report
« on: December 12, 2014, 08:00:23 am »
Britain has been dragged deeper into a row over US torture allegations after the Government admitted it did ask for changes in a Senate report on the CIA's behaviour.

In an abrupt U-turn by No 10, officials admitted changes had been asked for, 24 hours after denying Britain had asked for passages to be removed.

At Thursday's No 10 briefing, David Cameron's Deputy Spokeswoman confirmed British intelligence agencies discussed redactions with their US counterparts.

"My understanding is no redactions were sought to remove any suggestion that there was UK involvement in any alleged torture or rendition," she said.

And then she admitted: "There was a conversation with the agencies and their US counterparts on the executive summary.
Video: Were British Agencies Complicit?

"Any redactions sought there were done on national security grounds in a way we would have done with any other report."

And yet on Wednesday, the day the CIA report was published, the Prime Minister's Official Spokesman, when asked what redactions had been sought, repeatedly said: "None whatsoever, to my knowledge."

The admission comes after the head of the CIA John Brennan described the techniques used to extract information as "abhorrent".

Read more: http://news.sky.com/story/1390474/uk-sought-changes-to-senate-cia-torture-report
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

SPQR

Re: UK Sought Changes To Senate CIA Torture Report
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 08:08:04 am »
Redations in this type of situation is to protect the personnel involved and the methods involved used to get intelligence. I see no problem of the CIA redacting this information. Redacting information a routine part of keeping classified documents in all of the major deparments in government. Shred the documents or put them in a burn bag.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 08:21:29 am by Trigger »