Author Topic: Immigration Enriches You and Me....Nicholas Kristof  (Read 877 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Immigration Enriches You and Me....Nicholas Kristof
« on: November 23, 2014, 12:42:37 am »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/23/opinion/sunday/nicholas-kristof-immigration-enriches-you-and-m.html?action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

Immigration Enriches You and Me

NOV. 21, 2014

Nicholas Kristof

A BOOK, “The Christian Examiner,” warns that “ill-clad and destitute” immigrants are “repulsive to our habits and our tastes.”

A former mayor of New York City cautions that they bring disease, “wretchedness and want” to America. And Harper’s Weekly despairs that these immigrants are “steeped in ignorance” and account for a disproportionate share of criminals.

Boy, those foreigners were threatening — back in the mid-1800s when those statements were made about Irish immigrants.

Once again, the United States is split by vitriolic debates about how to handle immigrants, following President Obama’s executive action to shield millions of undocumented immigrants from deportation. To me, the outrage seems driven by three myths:

Immigrants threaten our way of life.

Many Americans see foreigners moving into their towns, see signs in Spanish, and fret about changes to the traditional fabric of society.

That’s an echo of the anxiety Theodore Roosevelt felt in 1918 when, referring to German and other non-Anglo European immigrants, he declared, “Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.” That’s an echo of the “yellow peril” scares about Chinese and Japanese immigrants.

It’s true that undocumented immigrants may lower wages in some sectors, harming low-skilled native-born Americans who compete with them. One study suggests that a 10 percent increase in the size of a skill group lowers the wages of blacks in that group by 2.5 percent.

Yet just look around. Immigration has hugely enriched our country. For starters, unless you are a full-blooded American Indian, we have you.

Nations, like carpets, benefit from multiple kinds of threads, and Tony Blair, the former British prime minister, was right: “It is a good rule of thumb to ask of a country: Are people trying to get into it or out of it?”

Immigrants today are different because they’re illegals. They’re parasites.

Look, people aren’t legal or illegal, behaviors are. If an investment banker is convicted of insider trading, he doesn’t become an illegal. So let’s refer not to “illegal immigrants” but to “undocumented immigrants.”

They have contributed $100 billion to Social Security over a decade without any intention of collecting benefits, thus shoring up the system, according to Stephen C. Goss, the chief actuary for the Social Security Administration.

At the state and local level, households headed by unauthorized immigrants paid another $11 billion in taxes in 2010 alone.

If these migrants are given work permits and brought into the system, they will contribute $45 billion over five years in payroll taxes to the United States economy, according to the Center for American Progress.

Parasites? No, they’re assets.

Immigration reform is an unconstitutional power grab by a dictator.

Senator Ted Cruz compared Obama’s executive action to the Catiline conspirators seeking to overthrow the Roman Republic. House Speaker John Boehner suggested that it was the action of an “emperor.”

Look, I’ve reported in many dictatorships (and been detained in some of them). And Obama is no dictator.

It’s difficult for me to judge the legality of Obama’s executive action, because I’m not an expert on legal issues like prosecutorial discretion. But neither are critics furious at Obama. We have a broken, byzantine immigration system — anybody who deals with it is staggered by the chaos — because politicians are too craven to reform it. At least Obama is attempting to modernize it.

Yes, it’s troubling that Obama previously argued he didn’t have this authority. Yes, his executive action is on a huge scale — but it is not entirely new. Obama’s action affects 45 percent of undocumented immigrants, compared to the 40 percent affected by President George H.W. Bush’s in 1990. Let’s leave the legal dispute for the experts to resolve.

I see a different hypocrisy in Obama’s action. He spoke eloquently Thursday evening about the need to treat migrants humanely — and yet this is the “deporter in chief” who has deported more immigrants than any of his predecessors. We as taxpayers have spent vast sums breaking up families and incarcerating honest men and women who just want to work. By a 2011 estimate, more than 5,000 children who are United States citizens are with foster families because their parents have been detained or deported.

We need empathy, and humility. My father, a refugee from Eastern Europe, was preparing a fraudulent marriage to an American citizen as a route to this country when he was sponsored, making fraud unnecessary. My wife’s grandfather bought papers from another Chinese villager to be able to come to the United States.

So remember: What most defines the 11 million undocumented immigrants in America is not illegality but undaunted courage and ambition for a better life. What separates their families from most of ours is simply the passage of time — and the lottery of birth.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline katzenjammer

Re: Immigration Enriches You and Me....Nicholas Kristof
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 12:50:46 am »
 :3:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 03:50:52 am »
Over half the country agrees with Kristof.

The FACT is, the GOP Congress is going to have to figure out how to deal with 11 million in this country who are NOT going home.  If we do a better and more convincing job than the pandering Democrats (realizing that most Hispanics are NOT for unchecked illegal immigration and want stronger borders) then we can change the equation.

Calm, assertive leadership is necessary.  Our mouths are, most often, our worst enemies.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 04:32:04 am »
and ILLEGAL immigration damages you and me

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 04:35:56 am »
and ILLEGAL immigration damages you and me

Sure it does. Illegal immigration is a scourge in a welfare state.

So, we have to shut the border and put penalities in place--severe penalties--for employers who hire illegals. And we have to do that FIRST. And we have to let that work before anything else is done.

But there will be some number of illegals still here even after all that, and we will have to figure out what to do with them.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 04:48:10 am »
If we didn't make it easy and comfortable for them to be here, they would leave on their own.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 04:50:37 am »
If we didn't make it easy and comfortable for them to be here, they would leave on their own.

And then where would democrat voters come from?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RaccoonRevolution

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 07:23:27 am »
And then where would democrat voters come from?
The graveyard.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien