Author Topic: Obama releases Gitmo detainees, setting up fight with GOP  (Read 1097 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama releases Gitmo detainees, setting up fight with GOP
« on: November 21, 2014, 05:35:49 pm »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2556502

Obama releases Gitmo detainees, setting up fight with GOP
By Charles Hoskinson | November 21, 2014 | 12:12 pm

President Obama has opened a new front in his hard line against the incoming Republican Congress by releasing more detainees from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, against lawmakers' objections.

The Pentagon announced Thursday that four al Qaeda fighters from Yemen, including a senior figure who facilitated travel to Afghanistan for Arab extremists, and a Tunisian extremist would be transferred to Slovakia and Georgia.

The transfers leave 143 detainees at Guantanamo, which Obama has vowed to close. Republican lawmakers, who have been pressing the administration to stop releasing detainees amid reports that some former prisoners had joined the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, were furious.

"If just one U.S. soldier loses their life over these transfers, we will have failed in our duty to the American people,” said outgoing House Armed Services Committee Chairman Buck McKeon.

"What the Obama administration is doing is dangerous and, frankly, reckless. They have chosen many times to put politics above national security. It’s time they stop playing with fire and start doing what’s right. Until we can assure the terrorists stay off the battlefield, they must stay behind bars," the California Republican said.

McKeon wrote Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel on Oct. 30 asking him to stop further transfers of detainees and confronted Hagel about the issue at a Nov. 13 committee hearing.

"Every time I certify and send up documentation to this committee, I am saying to this committee with my name and reputation that I believe that the assurances substantially mitigate the risk to this country and to our allies of certain detainee releases," Hagel told him.

According to the latest report from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, 107 of 620 detainees released from Guantanamo, or 17.3 percent, had been confirmed as returning to terrorism as of July 15, and another 77, or 12.4 percent, were suspected of having done so.

One of those, Abdul Raheem Muslim Dost, has emerged as a leader of the Islamic State in Pakistan, according to the Pakistani newspaper Dawn.

Of the five whose transfers were announced Thursday, two, Tunisian Hashim Bin Ali Bin Amor Sliti and Yemeni Husayn Salim Muhammad Al-Mutari Yafai, went to Slovakia.

Three Yemeni detainees — Salah Mohammed Salih Al-Dhabi, Abdel Ghaib Ahmad Hakim and Abdul Khaled Al-Baydani — were released to Georgia.

The four Yemenis all had been in U.S. custody since 2002 after having been captured in Afghanistan or Pakistan. One of them, Yafai, came into U.S. custody after having been arrested in Iran and handed over to the Afghans. According to an April 2008 assessment, he was judged to be a high risk for returning to his past activities and was recommended for continued detention.

"Detainee is a member of al Qaeda who served as a travel facilitator, providing false travel documents for Arab extremists transiting Iran for entry into Afghanistan," the assessment said.

Sliti, the Tunisian, was a member of the Tunisian Combatant Group, an Islamist extremist organization founded by his cousin. He was captured in December 2001 by the Pakistani army and handed over to U.S. custody.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Obama releases Gitmo detainees, setting up fight with GOP
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 05:36:59 pm »
All the Rebubs do is threaten and never follow through...Obama considers them a joke and so do I...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 05:38:34 pm »
All the Rebubs do is threaten and never follow through...Obama considers them a joke and so do I...

Thus far they have given us very little reason to think otherwise!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 05:40:58 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 06:20:15 pm »
Setting u a fight with the gop....................................What a bunch of crapif a fight hasn't occurred by now it never is going to.  What a farce. all kabuki theater.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 01:47:23 am »
Let's face it, folks:
GourmetDan (with his oft-posted saying) was right!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 07:32:02 am »
Every day that goes by since the election - I'm losing more and more faith in the desire of the GOP to do what the people elected them to do.  Obama & Co must be stopped - or at least an effort must be mounted to try and stop.  So far, it's been - like flowers said - kabuki theater. 

I'm not surprised, and I'm not impressed so far.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 01:11:29 pm »
Every day that goes by since the election - I'm losing more and more faith in the desire of the GOP to do what the people elected them to do.  Obama & Co must be stopped - or at least an effort must be mounted to try and stop.  So far, it's been - like flowers said - kabuki theater. 

The folks elected don't take office until January so at this point in time power has not shifted. 

I'm hoping this is the final gasp of an unchecked regime.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 01:42:40 pm »
It takes at least two to fight. The GOP leaves us one short.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline collins

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 09:14:48 pm »
Obama is trying to pick a fight with everybody in America, it seems - now with Senator Pansy Graham (RINO-SC)???

:silly:

In-your-face community organizer being in-your-face again. Marxist punk.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 09:23:19 pm »

To all the naysayers against the GOP on this thread, JUST WHAT THE 'EF ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO DO???

The GOP Senate is not in office yet.  They can't do anything with Reid still running the place.

I marvel at all the arm-chair politicians on these websites who have no idea what they're talking about.  Republicans register their most impressive win in years, and still the bitching continues............
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 09:25:55 pm »
To all the naysayers against the GOP on this thread, JUST WHAT THE 'EF ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO DO???

The GOP Senate is not in office yet.  They can't do anything with Reid still running the place.

I marvel at all the arm-chair politicians on these websites who have no idea what they're talking about.  Republicans register their most impressive win in years, and still the bitching continues............

Are people allowed to bitch when they are in office and still nothing meaningful happens?
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 09:41:29 pm »
Are people allowed to bitch when they are in office and still nothing meaningful happens?

What do you expect to happen when half the Congress is controlled by Democrats?

Give the Republicans a chance.  There's a lot they can do with the budget, with hearings (in both chambers), and with nominees.

The important thing is not go off half-cocked like the hot heads want, but be calm and assertive. Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 02:02:01 am »
The folks elected don't take office until January so at this point in time power has not shifted. 

I'm hoping this is the final gasp of an unchecked regime.

That's where I am.

Kind of a last gasp of hope for the country.

We'll see if things change when the power does change.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 02:09:47 am »
Musically wrote above:
[[ We'll see if things change when the power does change...]]

Prediction:
Things may change, but they ain't gonna be changin' very much.

(I would like to be proven wrong, but I'm a realist...)

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 01:48:06 pm »
Musically wrote above:
[[ We'll see if things change when the power does change...]]

Prediction:
Things may change, but they ain't gonna be changin' very much.

(I would like to be proven wrong, but I'm a realist...)

Unfortunately, there's very little difference between a realist and a pessimist these days.

I'm struggling to remain the optimist I have always been, so am still holding out hope that the new blood will also infuse some courage into the rest of congress.  There are some who have been fighting the good fight all along (eg. Jim Jordan).  They will now have some reinforcements untainted by the inside the beltway mentality.

I still have hope.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 03:27:40 pm »
That's where I am.

Kind of a last gasp of hope for the country.

We'll see if things change when the power does change.

Here's the problem, agree or not, it's true and in a nutshell.  Most GOP and/or Conservatives are basically good people, as in moral.  They can't comprehend the vileness that is Leftism.  They are incapable of fighting dirty.  They are incapable of understanding the Leftist mind.  They hate those among them who understand what is necessary to defeat the Leftists.
That is why GOP-E types and Conservatives will always lose.  Short-term, contemporarily or long-term.  When the GOP-E and Conservatives are willing to embrace those willing to take the fight to the enemy.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 04:13:02 pm »
Here's the problem, agree or not, it's true and in a nutshell.  Most GOP and/or Conservatives are basically good people, as in moral.  They can't comprehend the vileness that is Leftism.  They are incapable of fighting dirty.  They are incapable of understanding the Leftist mind.  They hate those among them who understand what is necessary to defeat the Leftists.
That is why GOP-E types and Conservatives will always lose.  Short-term, contemporarily or long-term.  When the GOP-E and Conservatives are willing to embrace those willing to take the fight to the enemy.

You just Grubered our side.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 04:17:01 pm »
GWB released or transferred over 500 Gitmo detainees.

Was he picking a fight with the GOP then?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline olde north church

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 04:19:42 pm »
You just Grubered our side.

Did I?  I actually thought it was an anti-Gruber statement, when I read your reply.  Grubering = negative statement, that's in my mind's referee.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 04:39:00 pm »
I have to agree with those willing to wait until they take office before condemning them all.

Something will happen. It has to. Obama is going to force the issue with or without a GOP response. He wants so badly to be arrested or impeached, and he is going to make it happen.

His lawlessness will grow and grow, and become more and more bazen. Eventually he will do something so incredibly egregious that the GOP will be forced to act.

Make no mistake, Obama is going to keep pushing. His goal is to leave the W.H. in handcuffs. In his disturbed mind, this will make him a 'hero' to what he calls 'his people' forever.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 04:45:19 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 09:20:00 pm »
I feel sorry for the Slovaks and Georgians.