Author Topic: Interstellar Travel Won't Look Anything Like The Movie  (Read 987 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Interstellar Travel Won't Look Anything Like The Movie
« on: November 01, 2014, 02:20:10 am »

The astronaut leading humankind's journey to the stars says if we want to get to another Earth, we'll have to expand our thinking[size=78%].[/size]
[/size]
Christopher Nolan's Interstellar imagines a human journey to planets beyond our star. But that kind of trip would seem impossible in today's terms. Fortunately, a DARPA-funded task force is already working to make it happen in the next century.

Mae Jemison, leader of the 100 Year Starship Project (100YSS) told Popular Science that enormous challenges stand between human beings and colonizing a distant star system. But she believes 100YSS can bring together the diversity and creativity of invention necessary to make it happen.

Source: http://interstellar-news.blogspot.com/2014/10/interstellar-travel-wont-look-anything.html
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: Interstellar Travel Won't Look Anything Like The Movie
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 01:26:49 am »
I don't understand why humanity isn't more interested in space exploration and unlocking the secrets of the universe. There is nothing that will increase our quality of life and long term survivability more than scientific discovery and space exploration. If only people could pull their heads out of their asses and see that conquering science is the future of humanity. Even today we could be hundreds of years more advanced than we already are if not for most people being completely apathetic towards science. Imagine what would happen if tomorrow the entirety of humanity decided to dedicate its energy and resources to scientific expansion instead of war and stupidity. The progress we would see in even a short amount of time would be absolutely astounding. It's really very sad and disappointing that more people don't realize how important this stuff is.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 01:29:03 am by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 02:00:42 am »
I don't understand why humanity isn't more interested in space exploration and unlocking the secrets of the universe. There is nothing that will increase our quality of life and long term survivability more than scientific discovery and space exploration. If only people could pull their heads out of their asses and see that conquering science is the future of humanity. Even today we could be hundreds of years more advanced than we already are if not for most people being completely apathetic towards science. Imagine what would happen if tomorrow the entirety of humanity decided to dedicate its energy and resources to scientific expansion instead of war and stupidity. The progress we would see in even a short amount of time would be absolutely astounding. It's really very sad and disappointing that more people don't realize how important this stuff is.

I understand your frustration, my guess it will take a disaster like say a Neutron star heading to this planet. Maybe a major war.. Something big has to light our butts on fire.. Or maybe something like in a certain upcoming movie Interstellar...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 02:02:06 am by kevindavis »

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 04:45:08 pm »

Because the constant theme drummed into Western youth is that it's only important to "speak truth to power" about how horrible Western society has been. 

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 05:36:48 pm »
Because the constant theme drummed into Western youth is that it's only important to "speak truth to power" about how horrible Western society has been.

Indeed...