Author Topic: Ferguson Store Owners: Customers ‘Too Scared’ to Bring Business to the Area  (Read 841 times)

rangerrebew

Ferguson Store Owners: Customers ‘Too Scared’ to Bring Business to the Area

Benjamin Fearnow
October 30, 2014 12:22 PM

FERGUSON, Mo. (CBS ST. LOUIS) - Businesses in Ferguson say they are “going to wait and see” how to sustain what has been a tumultuous few months of riots and dramatically reduced revenue, with some local store owners saying customers are “too scared” to bring their business to the area.

Local stores and businesses throughout Ferguson expressed feelings of frustration and uncertainty as many have boarded-up windows, increased security measures and lost thousands of dollars in revenue amid protests stemming from the Aug. 9 police shooting death of Michael Brown. Many businesses said they will just have to wait and see what happens ahead of an expected November ruling on whether or not to indict officer Darren Wilson.

“We’ve lost $200 to $300 in business nightly, people are afraid to pick up in the night, after dark,” said Tammy Cao of the Hunan Chop Suey Chinese Restaurant. “People are too scared at night … I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.”

She said the store has “paid $1,500 out-of-pocket for window damages” caused by rioters, because the $5,000 insurance deductible “did not add up.”

“I know customers who have left the area … I just want everything to go back to normal and everyone can do business again.”

A return to normalcy is a sentiment echoed by many Ferguson businesses.

Zisser Tire & Auto said the rioters “knocked out 90 percent of our windows, which are still boarded up.”

“We’ve just been trying to go to work, business as usual – nobody wants to take the boards down until we see what happens. It’s more of the not knowing what’s going to happen next.”

Jenny of Don Henefer Jewelers said that although their store has not been directly harmed by the Ferguson protests or rioters, they now “put all the jewelry away at night, and whatever doesn’t fit in the safe goes behind the counter, out-of-sight from the store window.”

The Swiish Bar and Grill owners have filed a lawsuit against the state of Missouri, St. Louis County, the Missouri State Highway Patrol and the cities of Ferguson and Jennings for what they claim is more than $25,000 in lost revenue. Owners Chantelle and Corey Nixon-Clark told KTVI-TV they were forced to close their doors for weeks as a law enforcement command post was set up in the Jennings shopping center amid the riots.

Some store owners said that customer and business fears are a shared experience.

“I feel scared about my business,” Rokhaya Biteye, owner of Daba African Hair Braiding in one of the modest strip malls that line West Florissant, told Reuters.

She said profits have evaporated to almost nothing since the shooting. In weeks prior, she generally pulled in about $800, but is now bringing in less than $100 each week.

“I don’t think it will work anymore,” she said, adding that she has no insurance.

Charles of Ferguson Burger Bar & More said that he has resolved not to make any added security provisions to the store because of his faith in a higher power.

“I’m going to leave it up to the man I put in charge originally, I’m going to leave it up to God,” he said. “I’m not boarding up, I’m not closing.”

– Benjamin Fearnow
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2014/10/30/ferguson-store-owners-customers-too-scared-to-bring-business-to-the-area/#comments
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:00:27 pm by rangerrebew »

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Ferguson: "Dead town standing"...

Anybody with a speck of common sense should pack up and get out of there, while the gettin's good...

rangerrebew

Ferguson: "Dead town standing"...

Anybody with a speck of common sense should pack up and get out of there, while the gettin's good...

That is EXACTLY what happened in Detroit as a result of the "68" riots.  All the people of Ferguson need do is look to the northeast to see their future.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
1992 Lost Angeles, Rodney King riots. Then and now. Mostly rebuilt, but as the last picture shows, not everything.

http://www.laweekly.com/microsites/la-riots/

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Fishrrman

truth seeker wrote above:
[[ 1992 Lost Angeles, Rodney King riots. Then and now. Mostly rebuilt, but as the last picture shows, not everything. ]]

Something has changed considerably in Los Angeles between “back then” and “now”:
Demographics.

The flood of illegals probably breathed some new life into that area.

If it had remained “as black as it was back then”, probably far less improvement, to almost none at all…

Offline evadR

One more big riot to go, everything burned and torn down, then they can rebuild.

It's the natural "black order" of things.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline truth_seeker

[[ 1992 Lost Angeles, Rodney King riots. Then and now. Mostly rebuilt, but as the last picture shows, not everything. ]]

Something has changed considerably in Los Angeles between “back then” and “now”:
Demographics.

The flood of illegals probably breathed some new life into that area.

If it had remained “as black as it was back then”, probably far less improvement, to almost none at all…
I don't think the demographics of South Central Lost Angeles have changed very much since 1992.

If you recall at the time of the riots, the blacks were burning buildings, the Hispanics were looting and the Asians were trying to protect their businesses.

Offline evadR

If you recall at the time of the riots, the blacks were burning buildings, the Hispanics were looting and the Asians were trying to protect their businesses."

Yes, that's what I call the "natural order" of the species.

I would add the whites were sitting back watching it on tv and chomping the popcorn.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Online Fishrrman

[[ I don't think the demographics of South Central Lost Angeles have changed very much since 1992 ]]

Not so.

From wikipedia:
[[ "Between 1970 and 1990 the South LA area went from 80% black and 9% Latino to 50.3% black and 44% Latino."[10] This massive and rapid residential demographic change occurred as resources in the area were shrinking due to global economic restructuring described above and due to the federal government's decrease in funding of urban anti-poverty and jobs programs, and other vital social services like healthcare. The socio-economic context described here increased the perception and the reality of competition amongst Asians, blacks, and Latinos in South LA. The results from the 2000 census which show continuing demographic change coupled with recent economic trends indicating a deterioration of conditions in South LA suggest that such competition will not soon ease."[11]

In the 2000 census, the area of South Los Angeles had a population of 520,461. Roughly 55% of the residents were Hispanic or Latino, while more than 40% were African American.[11]
The "Mapping LA" project of the Los Angeles Times reported that in 2000 the neighborhood had a population of 749,453 in 2000 in its 51.08 square miles, divided into 28 neighborhoods, with 14,671 people per square mile. The ethnic breakdown was Latino, 56.7%; black, 38%; white, 2.2%; Asian, 1.6% and other, 1.5%.[1] ]]
source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Los_Angeles

The continuing trend in South Central L.A. from c. 1990 to the present has been from black to Hispanic.
In 1990: 50% black, 44% Hispanic
2000: 38% black, 57% Hispanic.
Today: 31% black, 62% Hispanic*
That’s a total “demographic reversal” of both groups.
* - see this URL:
http://www.trulia.com/blog/AQHomeLoan1/2011/04/south_central_los_angeles_report_-_a_brief_overview

That’s why a good portion of the area has been “rebuilt”.
Hispanics — even illegals — will work and build to some extent.
Blacks — or at least a large number of them — won’t.

Offline MACVSOG68

Hispanics — even illegals — will work and build to some extent.
Blacks — or at least a large number of them — won’t.

Yep!
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline truth_seeker

I did not know the percent black had declined, that much. I don't go there, ever, ever, ever.

(When in distant cities, I occasionally drive into those areas, by mistake. In Seattle I went over the wrong hill, and wound up on "Martin Luther Blvd." In Denver, I wandered into "Park Hill.")   

I agree it is safer to invest in Hispanic neighborhoods, versus black neighborhoods.

However immediately following 1992, my brother won and performed a $5 million contract to rebuild a shopping center, damaged in the riots, and covered by insurance. It would generally be the smaller business that don't get rebuilt, until the Hispanics displace the blacks.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I would add the whites were sitting back watching it on tv and chomping the popcorn.

That's because they're the least stupid in the bunch.  They know to stay out of the riot zones because whites, any whites are enemy number one in a spree like the one recently in Ferguson.  Just ask any of the white reporters who were there.  I find it very interesting the worst epithet the rioters could come up with when attaching the news crews was "Zionists!" 

If there was a white guy and Latino standing next to each other, the mob will ignore the Latino and swarm the white guy, and beat him to death.  While accusing him of being a Jew.  Weird.

I'll just lay in a fresh batch of popcorn, thank you. :2popcorn:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: