Author Topic: GANG OF EIGHT REPUBLICANS DISCOURAGE OBAMA AGAINST EXECUTIVE AMNESTY  (Read 1854 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/10/30/Gang-of-Eight-Republicans-Discourage-Obama-Against-Executive-Amnesty

by CAROLINE MAY  30 Oct 2014

Three of the Republicans who worked to push comprehensive immigration reform through the Senate last year are calling on President Obama to refrain from taking executive action on immigration reform.

In a letter to Obama Thursday, Sens. John McCain (R-AZ), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), and Marco Rubio (R-FL) urged Obama not to offer amnesty to illegal immigrants until the southern border is secure and immigration law is effectively enforced.

“It is our view, along with many of our colleagues and a majority of the American people, that no action should be taken to legalize undocumented immigrants who are living and working in the United States until we have properly secured our southern border and provided for effective enforcement of immigration laws,” the trio wrote. “Moreover, the need to secure our southern border and effectively enforce the law has been underscored – not diminished – by recent developments at home and abroad of which you are well aware.”

They further argued that if Obama takes the action that many expect him to take he would “flaunt the separation of powers and our system of checks and balances, undermine the rule of law, and frustrate the proper administration of our current immigration system.”

Additionally, they wrote, such amnesty would “incentivize illegal immigration and open the floodgates to more visa overstays and illegal entries over our southern border.”

They concluded by calling on Obama to work with Congress to accomplish immigration reform.

“Unilateral action by the executive branch on this issue would be detrimental to finding and enacting much-needed long-term policy and legislative solutions to our broken immigration system,” they wrote. “In this regard, acting by executive order on an issue of this magnitude would be the most divisive action you could take – completely undermining any good-faith effort to meaningfully address this important issue, which would be a disservice to the needs of the American people.”

Read the full letter:

Dear Mr. President:

You recently indicated that you plan to sign, perhaps sometime after next Tuesday’s elections, an executive action that could give work permits and green cards to millions of people who entered the United States illegally. We write to you today to strongly discourage such action.

It is our view, along with many of our colleagues and a majority of the American people, that no action should be taken to legalize undocumented immigrants who are living and working in the United States until we have properly secured our southern border and provided for effective enforcement of immigration laws. Moreover, the need to secure our southern border and effectively enforce the law has been underscored – not diminished – by recent developments at home and abroad of which you are well aware.

With this in mind, the issue of immigration is clearly one that must be debated and decided by the representatives of the people.

Congress must fulfill its obligations under the Constitution and address this issue. Furthermore, it is not clear under what authority you would take such action, if you chose to do so. Taking executive action along the lines that have been reported would flaunt the separation of powers and our system of checks and balances, undermine the rule of law, and frustrate the proper administration of our current immigration system. Additionally, providing legal status by executive order to people who entered this country unlawfully will only incentivize illegal immigration and open the floodgates to more visa overstays and illegal entries over our southern border.

Mr. President, we urge you to work with Congress to secure our borders and address the serious issues facing America’s immigration system. Unilateral action by the executive branch on this issue would be detrimental to finding and enacting much-needed long-term policy and legislative solutions to our broken immigration system. In this regard, acting by executive order on an issue of this magnitude would be the most divisive action you could take – completely undermining any good-faith effort to meaningfully address this important issue, which would be a disservice to the needs of the American people.

We thank you for your consideration of this important request.

Respectfully,
John McCain
Lindsey Graham
Marco Rubio
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: GANG OF EIGHT REPUBLICANS DISCOURAGE OBAMA AGAINST EXECUTIVE AMNESTY
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 12:34:29 pm »
So now the GOP has changed it's mind on amnesty?  Or, are they just blowin' in the political wind like a piece of dirty old rag?

Happy Halloween!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 12:35:37 pm by alicewonders »
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 02:17:32 pm »
So now the GOP has changed it's mind on amnesty?  Or, are they just blowin' in the political wind like a piece of dirty old rag?

Happy Halloween!

No. Yes.

This is no risk for those sending the letter. It's not like Obama will even read it, (although, ValJar might read it to him). I think it's possible, maybe even probable, that Obama wants to lose the Senate, so he can go to war with all of Congress. There isn't much he can do that he hasn't already done to bring America to it's knees. A full on war between the executive and Congress would create chaos, and threaten to shred the Constitution. That's like music to the ears of a devoted Marxist/Community Organizer.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 02:21:01 pm »
No. Yes.

This is no risk for those sending the letter. It's not like Obama will even read it, (although, ValJar might read it to him). I think it's possible, maybe even probable, that Obama wants to lose the Senate, so he can go to war with all of Congress. There isn't much he can do that he hasn't already done to bring America to it's knees. A full on war between the executive and Congress would create chaos, and threaten to shred the Constitution. That's like music to the ears of a devoted Marxist/Community Organizer.

Obama will use the overwhelming defeat to blame the Republicans for every crisis...every piece of economic bad news from here until he lift off on Marine 1, January 20, 2017.

And the MSM will help him do it.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 02:35:15 pm »
Obama will use the overwhelming defeat to blame the Republicans for every crisis...every piece of economic bad news from here until he lift off on Marine 1, January 20, 2017.

Couldn't agree more.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 03:34:57 pm »

I think if the Republicans win the Senate, it will seal their fate for 2016.  They will be scapegoats for two years and Hillary will have something to campaign against.  It wouldn't have to be that way, if we had more actual "statesmen" in Washington, but I'm not holding my breath.

Happy Halloween!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 03:43:50 pm »
I think if the Republicans win the Senate, it will seal their fate for 2016.  They will be scapegoats for two years and Hillary will have something to campaign against.  It wouldn't have to be that way, if we had more actual "statesmen" in Washington, but I'm not holding my breath.

Happy Halloween!

That would depend on WHAT they do for the next two years. If they aren't bold in Opposing all things Obama you will be right!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 05:45:59 pm »
That would depend on WHAT they do for the next two years. If they aren't bold in Opposing all things Obama you will be right!

More than that. The Republicans need to make a production of anything they try to accomplish for the positive. Make a huge show over "immigration reform" that includes securing the border. Pass job stimulation legislation that Obama will be forced to sign, or veto. Simply forcing Obama to go on record is a major feat.

That's my fantasy world. I don't think these Republicans are capable or willing to approach governing that way.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 07:25:19 pm »
More than that. The Republicans need to make a production of anything they try to accomplish for the positive. Make a huge show over "immigration reform" that includes securing the border. Pass job stimulation legislation that Obama will be forced to sign, or veto. Simply forcing Obama to go on record is a major feat.

That's my fantasy world. I don't think these Republicans are capable or willing to approach governing that way.

Well, if they win Tuesday, they won't have a lot of time, and I agree with you they better use it wisely, and positively.  They know immigration reform is coming up shortly one way or another, and yes, they should go on the offensive as Reid did in 2007, but put border security right up front.  Tax reform is another potentially winning issue, as is reforming Obamacare.  One big thing they could do is actually pass a budget, and start sending spending bills to Obama before September 30.  The main thing is that Harry Reid would no longer be able to shield Obama from decision-making by tabling every piece of legislation that the House sends over.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 07:55:08 pm »

The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 02:47:39 am »
Am I the only one getting tired of the "gang of' moniker?

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 02:53:44 am »

Let me ask you in all honesty:
How much "opposin'" have either the Senate OR the House done up to now?

What might possibly change this in the next two years?

About the only thing I expect the newly-Republican Senate to do is restore the 60-vote requirement for ending a filibuster, thus cutting their own you-know-whats off!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 03:01:01 am »
The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party.

Yeah! We know!  :nometalk:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 06:56:16 pm »
Am I the only one getting tired of the "gang of' moniker?

You're not the only one.  I was tired of it since the "gang of four" took over China briefly after Mao kicked off.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline evadR

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 08:21:43 pm »
"With everything Obama touched in shambles, Barry needs a new hobby… and the United States needs a non-Democrat in office!"

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party."

Those 2 quotes should be inscribed on a monument in front of the Capitol.

As to the gang of 8, I smell pure rope-a-dope here.

November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.