Author Topic: Apple CEO Tim Cook comes out: 'I'm proud to be gay'  (Read 1288 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Apple CEO Tim Cook comes out: 'I'm proud to be gay'
« on: October 30, 2014, 12:34:38 pm »
Myst - no idea where to put this. Economy, sci/tech/religion, or what.

Apple CEO Tim Cook came out Thursday, acknowledging publicly for the first time that he is gay.

"Let me be clear: I'm proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me," he wrote in a column in Bloomberg Businessweek.

In his column, the Apple (AAPL, Tech30) chief said that he had tried to maintain "a basic level of privacy." But he said he decided that desire for privacy was stopping him from working for the benefit of others.

"I don't consider myself an activist, but I realize how much I've benefited from the sacrifice of others," he said. "So if hearing that the CEO of Apple is gay can help someone struggling to come to terms with who he or she is, or bring comfort to anyone who feels alone, or inspire people to insist on their equality, then it's worth the trade-off with my own privacy."

Cook, who grew up in Alabama, said he has long been open about his sexual orientation, but had just not previously discussed it publicly.

"Plenty of colleagues at Apple know I'm gay, and it doesn't seem to make a difference in the way they treat me," he wrote. "Of course, I've had the good fortune to work at a company that loves creativity and innovation and knows it can only flourish when you embrace people's differences. Not everyone is so lucky."

There have been some rumors and speculation that Cook is gay. Out magazine had previously named him as the most powerful gay person on its Power 50 list.

But there are no other publicly gay CEO's at the 700 largest corporations. John Browne served as CEO of BP (BP) from 1995 to 2007, and acknowledged he was gay after he was forced to leave office. He resigned when an former boyfriend outed him. He has since written a book "The Glass Closet: Why Coming Out is Good Business."

Read more: http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/30/technology/tim-cook-gay/index.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Apple CEO Tim Cook comes out: 'I'm proud to be gay'
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 12:38:24 pm »
I think the only response I had to this story was "And? ...."

Who cares? Is it a cynical marketing ploy to increase the company's grip on the Apple cultists? Are Apple shares going to do a Jobs in light of this news? Since I never buy Apple, hold no shares in the company, and am not a personal friend, relative or employee does this even affect me?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 12:45:41 pm »
I think the only response I had to this story was "And? ...."

Who cares? Is it a cynical marketing ploy to increase the company's grip on the Apple cultists? Are Apple shares going to do a Jobs in light of this news? Since I never buy Apple, hold no shares in the company, and am not a personal friend, relative or employee does this even affect me?

My acute cynicism tells me that he's providing cover in the event they ever try to remove him for one reason or another. 

Consider it 'tenure' for a protected class.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 12:59:58 pm »
Yes.  Anymore, coming out is an insurance policy.  You can never get fired again.  You can sue for damages.  You can advance the cause and become part of the Gay Mafia, putting pressure on people that don't comply with the agenda.   

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 01:00:17 pm »

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 01:05:45 pm »
My acute cynicism tells me that he's providing cover in the event they ever try to remove him for one reason or another. 

Yep!
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 02:19:04 pm »
I suspect you're absolutely correct, DC.

I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 02:57:18 pm »

Winner, winner!  Chicken dinner! 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 03:04:49 pm »
One, this is nothing new.

Two, this is the perfect counterpoint to those who constantly hold up John Turing as some sort of gay martyr. You now have the guy that ran Apple into the ground on your side.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 03:53:04 pm »
One, this is nothing new.

Two, this is the perfect counterpoint to those who constantly hold up John Turing as some sort of gay martyr. You now have the guy that ran Apple into the ground on your side.
:amen:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 04:01:10 pm »
Myst - no idea where to put this. Economy, sci/tech/religion, or what.

Maybe what we need is a "Who Gives A S#it?" category.

The upside being that it would also give us a place to post Al Sharpton and Jose Canseco stories.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 04:03:06 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 04:22:47 pm »
If he had said he was proud to be Christian the MSM would be lambasting him today.  Instead, they are groveling at his feet, praising his "courage" and so forth.  It's all so predictable it's boring.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 04:30:03 pm »
It takes no courage at all to say you are gay publicly...the popular culture will heap praise and raise your status to Demi-godhood.  If you said you were a conservative or a Christian, you would be ostracized and probably driven from your position...a less violent form of lynching, to the raucous applause of the media and the culture.

Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline flowers

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 05:03:36 pm »
bkmk

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 05:33:10 pm »
Maybe what we need is a "Who Gives A S#it?" category.

The upside being that it would also give us a place to post Al Sharpton and Jose Canseco stories.
At least one can gloat over the Giants victory last night, knowing it's not the dumbest story of the day.
I will NOT comply.