Author Topic: Gov. Christie to Sandy heckler: 'Sit down and shut up!'  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Politics4us

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Gov. Christie to Sandy heckler: 'Sit down and shut up!'
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 08:12:18 am »
I'll give him a pass on this.

Know a LOT of stand up comedians and they all agree there is no graceful way to deal with a heckler, even though they all have various shut down routines they can incorporate into their act. Politicians have it far worse - they are not supposed to lose their temper.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline raml

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:14:35 am »
Sorry no pass from me. Politicians who are good at their jobs know how to handle hecklers and it is not getting angry and making an ass of yourself. We want grown ups in office we already have to many never really manage to have grown up yet types. Is this the kind of person you want running for office he sounds a bit like that baby Obama who is not in anyway a good politician or anything else either.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 12:38:11 pm »
The State invested all of the time and money in rebuilding the Jersey shore to make it an engine of economic recovery.  I think the failure of that plan is most of the people who visit are from NJ and surrounding states that were also hit. 
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 01:04:25 pm »
The crowds at that event applauded Christie after he fought back the heckler (who turns out is a democrat activist).

Christie would not be my first choice for Republican presidential candidate. But I love his in-your-face combativeness. If the GOP does not take the Senate next week, Christie would be great in the Oval Office and behind the bully pulpit. I'd love to see him excoriating Harry Reid.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 01:08:30 pm »
Sorry no pass from me. Politicians who are good at their jobs know how to handle hecklers and it is not getting angry and making an ass of yourself. We want grown ups in office we already have to many never really manage to have grown up yet types. Is this the kind of person you want running for office he sounds a bit like that baby Obama who is not in anyway a good politician or anything else either.

I agree Raml.  When you are an authority figure, there is no excuse for a heckler getting that much out there - and there is no reason to even say anything about it, because Security should already be getting him out of there!  Especially the Governor.  I really liked Christie at first, but as of late, he is showing himself to be an a**hole.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Politics4us

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 04:14:01 pm »
Remember, this isn't the first time Christie has done this. He uses the fact that he's from NJ as an excuse. He once said to a reporter who asked if he was running for president, "Are you stupid?"

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 04:27:52 pm »
Remember, this isn't the first time Christie has done this. He uses the fact that he's from NJ as an excuse. He once said to a reporter who asked if he was running for president, "Are you stupid?"

Here's another way of looking at this. Instead of simply having security whisk the heckler away, as most politicians do, Christie engaged the guy, allowed him to speak, respected his 1A rights, and spoke his own mind, as well.

I see Christie as someone who would not shy away from confronting democrats or any pressure group.

And just recently when the Ebola nurse criticized him before the press for quarantining her, he did not back down from that decision. Instead he said he was not concerned about her criticism and that his duty was to the welfare of citizens of New Jersey.

Offline Politics4us

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 04:42:02 pm »
Here's another way of looking at this. Instead of simply having security whisk the heckler away, as most politicians do, Christie engaged the guy, allowed him to speak, respected his 1A rights, and spoke his own mind, as well.

I see Christie as someone who would not shy away from confronting democrats or any pressure group.

And just recently when the Ebola nurse criticized him before the press for quarantining her, he did not back down from that decision. Instead he said he was not concerned about her criticism and that his duty was to the welfare of citizens of New Jersey.

He told him to "shut up and sit down". Christie only cares about his agenda. He isn't a brave person. When the Supreme Court ruled on gay marriage a few weeks ago, he said, "I haven't read it yet." He wouldn't take sides on the Ground Zero Mosque either.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 04:44:03 pm »

When Christie engages, he doesn't back off and he's quite effective.  I've had a problem with him since 2012 when he inexplicably focused his Convention speech on himself, rather than Romney.  Then I thought he tongue-kissed Obama a little too long during the Superstorm Sandy thing.  It's left a bad taste in my mouth for him.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 04:57:53 pm »
He told him to "shut up and sit down". Christie only cares about his agenda. He isn't a brave person. When the Supreme Court ruled on gay marriage a few weeks ago, he said, "I haven't read it yet." He wouldn't take sides on the Ground Zero Mosque either.

Two words that should never, ever come out a politicians mouth are "shut" and "up."  His entire response was fine until he spoke those two words.  Never tell the citizens to shut up.  Never.  It's telling them you despise free speech.  Is this fatal for him?  Possibly, because he's developed a reputation as a pugilistic politician who verbally abuses citizens.  I don't care if they're liberal Dems, you don't behave like a pr*ck to everyday citizens and expect to achieve high office. 

Maybe it works for Governor of NJ, but that's the end of the line.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:59:03 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 05:05:26 pm »
Sit down and shut up? Well, heck yeah. Most of us watching wanted the guy to "sit down and shut up." He was rudely disrupting the governor. Trust me, this incident will help Christie in the polls - guaranteed.

Christie's politics are too moderate for me. But, so what? Turning the nation around will take generations and many administrations. Christie would be a good start in reining in the democrats. He was polling well even against Hillary until the bridgegate scandal and he even weathered that silly kerfuffle.

I doubt he could get the nomination. And even if he did, I doubt he could win because he is anathema to three groups: democrats, tea party and establishment Republicans. And the way I see it, having two out of three of those against you makes you the good guy. And that ain't bad.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 05:09:27 pm »
When Christie engages, he doesn't back off and he's quite effective.  I've had a problem with him since 2012 when he inexplicably focused his Convention speech on himself, rather than Romney.  Then I thought he tongue-kissed Obama a little too long during the Superstorm Sandy thing.  It's left a bad taste in my mouth for him.

Yeah, and our nominees -- McCain and Romney refused to criticize Obama even though they were battling for the presidency. Now that was disturbing.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 06:30:43 pm »
Yeah, and our nominees -- McCain and Romney refused to criticize Obama even though they were battling for the presidency. Now that was disturbing.

Quite agree with that!

Happy Halloween!

Offline Politics4us

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 05:47:31 am »

Name something Christie has criticized Obama on besides what Romney criticized him on.