Author Topic: As Midterms Near, GOP Leads on Key Issues, Democrats Have a More Positive Image  (Read 697 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
As Midterms Near, GOP Leads on Key Issues, Democrats Have a More Positive Image

Far Fewer Democrats See Vote as ‘For’ Obama Than in 2010

With less than two weeks before the midterm elections, the Republican Party holds significant leads on several major issues. Voters say the GOP could do a better job than the Democrats on the economy, and the Republicans hold double-digit advantages on both terrorism and the budget deficit.

However, the Democrats have advantages on a number of qualities and traits – from honesty to empathy and a willingness to compromise. And on some dimensions, the Republican Party is viewed less positively by voters than it was just prior to the 2010 election, when it captured the House.

The latest national survey by the Pew Research Center, conducted Oct. 15-20 among 2,003 adults, including 1,494 registered voters, finds that neither party is especially popular with voters as they head into the midterms. The GOP’s favorable ratings are underwater: 39% of registered voters view the party favorably, while 55% have an unfavorable impression. Favorable ratings for the Democratic Party, while better than the GOP’s, are hardly robust: As many voters view the party unfavorably (48%) as favorably (47%).

This year’s elections, like the previous two midterms, will take place against a backdrop of deep public dissatisfaction with national conditions. Just 29% of Americans are satisfied with the way things are going in the country; more than twice as many (65%) are dissatisfied. That is on par with levels of dissatisfaction before the 2010 and 2006 midterms. Views of the nation’s economy are far less gloomy than they were four years ago; nonetheless, ratings for the economy remain highly negative, with 78% saying conditions are only fair or poor.

Much more with many graphics at link below!

http://www.people-press.org/2014/10/23/as-midterms-near-gop-leads-on-key-issues-democrats-have-a-more-positive-image/
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GourmetDan

LIVs have no idea what's coming with the new ACA penalties on their 2014 returns.  It's going to hit the working poor very hard.

There's a reason that timeline doesn't kick-in until after the mid-term elections...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

rangerrebew

It depends on your definition of corruption.  If you see corruption as a positive trait, commiecrats will have a decided advantage.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
That title pretty much defines America right now in a nutshell. Issues v. Image. Thinking v. Tingling (a la Chris Matthews). It has come down to that.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
GourmetDan wrote above:
[[ LIVs have no idea what's coming with the new ACA penalties on their 2014 returns.  It's going to hit the working poor very hard. ]]

Indeed.

My sister (who lives with me) works part time for a supermarket company based out of Massachusetts. They just cancelled their health insurance coverage for all part time employees, effective December 31.

I'll try to help her work through the maze of the CT health exchange, but I wonder if she's going to be able to find anything that she can afford that doesn't have an astronomically-high deductible.

What ObamaCare and "Affordable Care" offers is the illusion of having health insurance, that doesn't actually -cover- much of anything.

You can have either:
1. An "affordable" policy that doesn't actually PAY for anything
or
2. An expensive policy that actually provides actual insurance.

Pick one....

Offline GourmetDan

You can have either:
1. An "affordable" policy that doesn't actually PAY for anything
or
2. An expensive policy that actually provides actual insurance.

Pick one....

All conveniently timed to occur after the mid-terms and well before the next presidential election...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
All conveniently timed to occur after the mid-terms and well before the next presidential election...

Without doubt!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien