Author Topic: Things Fall Apart (Pat Buchanan)  (Read 3758 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Things Fall Apart (Pat Buchanan)
« on: October 24, 2014, 01:57:42 pm »
http://www.creators.com/conservative/pat-buchanan/things-fall-apart.html

Things Fall Apart
by Patrick J. Buchanan

When this writer was 3 years old, the Empire of Japan devastated Battleship Row of the U.S. Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor.

Before I was 7, Gen. MacArthur was in an office in Tokyo overlooking the Imperial Palace, dictating to a shattered Japan.

In 1956, President Eisenhower, impressed by the autobahn he had seen in Hitler's Reich, ordered a U.S. Interstate Highway System constructed, tying America together, one of the great public works projects in all history.

Within a decade, the system was on its way to completion.

In 1961, John F. Kennedy said the United States, beaten into space by Nikita Khrushchev's Soviet Union, would put a man on the moon and return him to earth within the decade.

In July 1969, President Nixon, on the deck of the carrier Hornet, welcomed home Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins of Apollo 11.

What ever became of that America? What ever became of that can-do nation? What has happened to us?

This October saw the vaunted Center for Disease Control and Prevention fumbling over basic questions on how to protect Americans from an Ebola epidemic in three small countries of West Africa.

In September, an intruder with a knife climbed the White House fence, trotted across the North lawn, walked through the unlocked front door of the president's house, barreled over a female officer, and ran around the East Room before being tackled by a Secret Service agent going off duty. The president had just departed.

Days earlier, an armed security guard in Atlanta with a violent criminal past was allowed by Secret Service to ride an elevator with Barack Obama.

Last summer came reports that 60,000 children and young people from Central America had walked across the border into the United States, overwhelming our Border Patrol.

Last spring, we learned that sick and suffering vets were deliberately made to wait months for appointments to see VA doctors, and dozens may have died during the wait.

Earlier, the rollout of Obamacare, years in preparation, became a national joke and a metaphor for government incompetence.

Under President Bush came Katrina, where 30,000 residents of New Orleans were stranded for days behind a pool of stagnant water after a hurricane. The city and state couldn't handle it.

Yet, during five days in 1940, 350,000 British troops, besieged at Dunkirk, were rescued from across the Channel by their countrymen in boats and yachts under the guns of the Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe.

Such events have contributed to a collapse of confidence among Americans in the competency of their leaders and their government.

Large majorities now believe America is heading downhill, that the future will not be as good as the past, that we are going in the wrong direction.

Malaise pervades the republic.
And there are larger reasons for these sentiments.

Our recent wars, in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya, all seem to have left them and us worse off. In fighting our new war in Iraq and Syria we have neither a credible strategy nor sufficient troops to prevail against the Islamic State.

Already, Americans are asking: Why is this our war?

Since the mid-1970s, the real wages of working Americans have stagnated as we have run uninterrupted trade deficits totaling more than $10 trillion. Under Obama the national debt has surpassed the Gross Domestic Product.

Our manufacturing base has been hollowed out with Detroit as Exhibit A. We outsource our future by borrowing from China to buy from China.

We borrow from Japan and Europe to defend Japan and Europe, though World War II has been over for 70 years.

FedEx tracks with precision millions of packages a day. But the U.S. government cannot locate and send back 12 million illegal aliens.

Thirty years after a Reagan amnesty that carried a commitment to secure our borders, Obama is preparing an executive amnesty for untold millions of illegals, as soon as the election is over. And still the borders are not secure.

If government is conceded a role in anything, it is in building roads, bridges, highways and airports, and in running public schools.

Yet our infrastructure is crumbling, U.S. children fall lower and lower in international competition, and the racial divide in academic performances has never closed, despite an investment of trillions in education over half a century. Even Joe Biden calls LaGuardia a "Third World" airport.

Many private institutions are succeeding splendidly. But our public institutions, save the military, seem to be broadly failing.

Congress is gridlocked. The president is seen as a dithering incompetent. The Supreme Court is polarized irreparably.

Our political, racial and cultural clashes, traceable to conflicts created by the revolutions of the 1960s, are daily magnified and exacerbated by cable TV, the Internet and social media.

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world," wrote the poet Yeats.

Clare Luce put is another way. In this world, she said, there are two kinds of people — optimists and pessimists. "The pessimists are better informed."

Offline Fishrrman

Re: Things Fall Apart (Pat Buchanan)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 02:02:16 pm »
Many's the time I've been mistaken,
And many times confused
And I've often felt forsaken,
And certainly misused.
But it's all right, it's all right,
I'm just weary to my bones
Still, you don't expect to be
Bright and Bon Vivant
So far away from home,
So far away from home.

I don't know a soul who's not been battered
Don't have a friend who feels at ease
Don't know a dream that's not been shattered
Or driven to it's knees.
But it's all right, all right,
We've lived so well so long
Still, when I think of the road we're traveling on,
I wonder what went wrong,
I can't help it
I wonder what went wrong.

And I dreamed I was flying.
I dreamed my soul rose unexpectedly,
And looking back down on me,
Smiled reassuringly,
And I dreamed I was dying.
And far above, my eyes could clearly see
The Statue of Liberty,
Drifting away to sea
And I dreamed I was flying.

We come on a ship we call the Mayflower,
We come on a ship that sailed the moon
We come at the age's most uncertain hour
And sing the American tune
But it's all right, it's all right
You can't be forever blessed
Still, tomorrow's gonna be another working day
And I'm trying to get some rest,
That's all, I'm trying to get some rest.

Back around 1973, Paul Simon wrote more than he knew with "American Tune":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0wIbgDVp5c

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 02:06:43 pm »

The mood of the nation is a lot like when Carter was in office, giving speeches in his sweater from the White House...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline evadR

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 02:12:26 pm »
"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

Buchanan's words are now proceeding to stage 3.

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/arthurscho103608.html#3BECqFA17D7Z2iJR.99
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 02:22:34 pm »
Buchanan's words are now proceeding to stage 3.

I would definitely agree!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 02:42:36 pm »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 02:51:26 pm »
The mood of the nation is a lot like when Carter was in office, giving speeches in his sweater from the White House...

I remember that time, and up until Obama was elected - that was the gloomiest, most depressing time period of my life.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 02:58:04 pm »
I remember that time, and up until Obama was elected - that was the gloomiest, most depressing time period of my life.

I just hope that history repeats and we get another Reaganesque president to follow Bambi...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 03:03:47 pm »
Most importantly we MUST begin to try to understand WHY truth must be ridiculed and violently opposed before  it is accepted as being self-evident.

Then we need to change that!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 03:11:08 pm »
Most importantly we MUST begin to try to understand WHY truth must be ridiculed and violently opposed before  it is accepted as being self-evident.

Then we need to change that!

I don't think you can change that, Bigun.

"What it is is human weakness.  You can't kill that with a gun." - Michael Sandor in "Shooter"

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 03:16:16 pm »
I don't think you can change that, Bigun.

"What it is is human weakness.  You can't kill that with a gun." - Michael Sandor in "Shooter"

Perhaps so! But my thing is changing things that cannot be changed!

You cannot change anything if you don't try!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 03:37:32 pm »
What happened to the government that led those tremendous achievements?  Well, as pointed out, many things, but at or near the top of that list must be the radical environmental movement that has made large scale infrastructure projects impossible.  The Luddites have taken over culture and government and use its legal system to enforce their beliefs.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 03:46:48 pm »
“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless.
Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

"Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle, is a species of vice."

Thomas Paine, 1792

“No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and Virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders. “

Samuel Adams, letter to James Warren, November 4, 1775

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 03:49:18 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 04:11:40 pm »
Bigun wrote above:
[[ Perhaps so! But my thing is changing things that cannot be changed!
You cannot change anything if you don't try! ]]

There are things that can be changed, and other things that cannot.

Again, Fishrrman's credo:
"Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe it to be."

Essential to "coming to grips" with reality is seeing the truth that there are some problems for which there are no solutions.
That there are some questions to which there are no answers.

And then, moving on from there...

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 04:20:27 pm »
America has lost its way because America has lost its moral compass. Our values and principles have been under assault for several generations, owing to the purposeful Progressive corruption of our social institutions and their perversion to overtly political ends.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 04:23:48 pm »
America has lost its way because America has lost its moral compass. Our values and principles have been under assault for several generations, owing to the purposeful Progressive corruption of our social institutions and their perversion to overtly political ends.

“America is great because she is good.  If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”

― Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline olde north church

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 04:26:47 pm »

I would disagree.  America, as founded, had a much more broken moral compass.  Holding others in bondage for the first 75 years is second only to killing them in the womb.  There is a second war on the horizon.  It's going to make the first look like a day at the beach.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 04:29:13 pm »
I would disagree.  America, as founded, had a much more broken moral compass.  Holding others in bondage for the first 75 years is second only to killing them in the womb.  There is a second war on the horizon.  It's going to make the first look like a day at the beach.

Quick explanation:
It's only in the past 15 years or so with the various sonograms and related technology have we seen how "human" these so called embryos are.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 05:00:34 pm »

I do not accept the argument that slavery is akin to America's Original Sin.

The social institution of slavery was, in fact a denial of the values upon which this nation was founded ("We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal..."), stemming from a false belief about the essential humanity of black persons.

Only a small number of American colonists or citizens ever owned slaves, and many more Americans opposed the practice.

And yet I feel safe in proclaiming that none among either of these groups - slave owners and abolitionists - would have willingly countenanced the intentional destruction of unborn children in their mothers' wombs, and would have been properly appalled by it.

Which ought to illustrate just how far from our original virtues we have now fallen.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 05:06:06 pm »

The social institution of slavery was, in fact a denial of the values upon which this nation was founded ("We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal..."), stemming from a false belief about the essential humanity of black persons.

Only a small number of American colonists or citizens ever owned slaves, and many more Americans opposed the practice.

And yet I feel safe in proclaiming that none among either of these groups - slave owners and abolitionists - would have willingly countenanced the intentional destruction of unborn children in their mothers' wombs, and would have been properly appalled by it.

Which ought to illustrate just how far from our original virtues we have now fallen.

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 05:07:35 pm »

Just as abortion stems from a false belief about the essential humanity of the unborn...

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 05:30:24 pm »

Yet slavery didn't become unconstitutional until 1865.

The first law against abortion didn't take place until the 1820s in the US, and then only after the fetus had quickened (2d term). And the Catholic Church didn't officially consider early stage abortion as murder until 1859, because before that a soul didn't enter until quickening.  So no, abortion wasn't exactly as unacceptable as many think.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 05:49:00 pm »
The first law against abortion didn't take place until the 1820s in the US, and then only after the fetus had quickened (2d term). And the Catholic Church didn't officially consider early stage abortion as murder until 1859, because before that a soul didn't enter until quickening.  So no, abortion wasn't exactly as unacceptable as many think.

Regardless of all that there was no wide spread practice of abortion in this country until late in the 20th century!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 06:06:38 pm »
Regardless of all that there was no wide spread practice of abortion in this country until late in the 20th century!

Point being, that when we talk about how moral our ancestors were in the late 19th and early 19th centuries, we do have to take into consideration abortion, slavery, and lack of women's rights among other such issues that did exist and were acceptable at that time.

Just responding to the concern over how far our original virtues have fallen.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 06:08:52 pm »
I just hope that history repeats and we get another Reaganesque president to follow Bambi...
Carter was also a one-term president that the people turned on after one term, knowing his incompetence.

Today's America, a far different beast, re-elected Obama. Just remember that.

Those responsible for this injustice have ensured this country's eventual demise, and delight, as long as we are brought down with them.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024