Author Topic: MARK CUBAN: Here's What Republicans Should Do Next  (Read 9325 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: MARK CUBAN: Here's What Republicans Should Do Next
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 02:36:35 pm »
A couple of points if I may.  First take a look at Reagan's nomination acceptance speech and find me a social issue he talked about.  A good friend of mine was kicked off of TOS in 2007 for mentioning the fact that Reagan signed the largest abortion bill ever as California governor, in spite of his later concerns that doctors took advantage of it.

The other point is one I see often here...and elsewhere.  You said, "We're merely the 'staff'. Called upon to serve the dinner, and treated with anything from condescension to contempt.", and then later in the same post said this, "Because to us, moderate Pubbies are merely well dressed Democrats."  A little condescension and contempt there perhaps?

Social, fiscal, defense and the role of government aren't stand-alone issues.  Some in the Party lean more heavily in one than the other.  But in order to win the head seat at the table in 2016 the GOP needs more than just a vocal group from the social right.  To be sure the Party needs the stronger viewpoints to help push it in the right direction, whether socially, fiscally or otherwise.  But it also needs those who can sit across the table from the opposition and work out compromises.  Reagan was a genius at that.  Principle and pragmatism are not mutually exclusive.

But what the Party needs to understand most of all is that while its job is to lead America, it's also there to listen to America, something many have difficulty doing.   

I prefer your analysis to Cuban's.  He wants to shut the SoCons up completely, in effect throw them out of the election.  I don't think that's a smart thing to do, it's led to destruction every time it's been tried.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 02:45:46 pm »
I prefer your analysis to Cuban's.  He wants to shut the SoCons up completely, in effect throw them out of the election.  I don't think that's a smart thing to do, it's led to destruction every time it's been tried.

This time will be different because we are so much smarter now...   /s

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 03:49:04 pm »
How do you know if you have not tried it? I do not want to have to be the waiter. I want to have a seat.

I don't think you realize that you are talking to a person who has been working within the system in the Republican party for more than 40 years! I've done everything there is to do including running for statewide office here at a time when being a Republican was not popular in these parts!

I KNOW first hand how it works and I am completely sick and tired of it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2014, 03:55:29 pm »
I don't think you realize that you are talking to a person who has been working within the system in the Republican party for more than 40 years! I've done everything there is to do including running for statewide office here at a time when being a Republican was not popular in these parts!

I didn't bang my head against it as long as you have, but I've done it some.  Enough to know I don't like the way it's been working.  I'm no longer "active" in the party, I just vote for them when I can.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2014, 03:57:22 pm »
The other point is one I see often here...and elsewhere.  You said, "We're merely the 'staff'. Called upon to serve the dinner, and treated with anything from condescension to contempt.", and then later in the same post said this, "Because to us, moderate Pubbies are merely well dressed Democrats."  A little condescension and contempt there perhaps?

You can call it whatever you like but it is still accurate!

The rest of what you said I agree with!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 04:07:30 pm »

Agree completely.  The social right is an integral part of the GOP, and I suspect many if not most of them are also well into other ideological factions within the conservative foundation of the Party.  I really believe it's only a couple of issues that may separate them from the mainstream of the Party, and it absolutely shouldn't!
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 04:41:19 pm »

Hear hear!!  You are correct, I don't think that some posters realize the history that some of us have had.  I have well worn soft soled shoes that I've worn going door to door for candidates that are older than some of the posters.  I've done it all since I was a teenager: phone banks, door to door, tending bar at fundraisers in firehouses, hanging signs, passing out handbills, graphics, web sites, etc.;  done it all for decades.  And, that hunting & fishing cabin that I've always wanted up north could have been easily paid for two or three times over with the $$$ that I've funneled into campaigns over the years!!

So yeah, I KNOW first hand how it works and I am ALSO completely sick and tired of it!

Offline olde north church

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2014, 06:15:36 pm »
Agree completely.  The social right is an integral part of the GOP, and I suspect many if not most of them are also well into other ideological factions within the conservative foundation of the Party.  I really believe it's only a couple of issues that may separate them from the mainstream of the Party, and it absolutely shouldn't!

I heartily and respectfully disagree.  The so-cons have always backed out and made themselves scarce whenever they were really needed.   
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 06:16:37 pm »
I heartily and respectfully disagree.  The so-cons have always backed out and made themselves scarce whenever they were really needed.

Bovine Fecal Matter!!!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2014, 07:20:51 pm »

Not sure when that was, but try to win an election without them.  And BTW, I tell the social right to try to win an election without the other factions.  They as well as other ideologies within the Party and its leanings make a lot of threats every election.  But in the end, nine out of ten will be there.  Most understand very well that as disappointing as the GOP has been at times, the alternative makes "disappointment" look like a picnic on the lake.   

:xedfingers:

SPQR

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 07:45:03 pm »
I've been doing that for almost forty years Trigger - and I know there are others here that have worked their tails off for the GOP longer than that.  Now we're old, and we're sick to damned tired of it!

I have been doing it for 20 years and it works

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 08:09:31 pm »
Not sure when that was, but try to win an election without them.  And BTW, I tell the social right to try to win an election without the other factions.  They as well as other ideologies within the Party and its leanings make a lot of threats every election.  But in the end, nine out of ten will be there.  Most understand very well that as disappointing as the GOP has been at times, the alternative makes "disappointment" look like a picnic on the lake.   

:xedfingers:

We hang together or we'll surely hang separately.  I am inclined to understand everybody's frustration because we've all, SoCons and FisCons alike, been forced to watch helplessly as our prime reason for voting got thrown under the bus by some charlatan.
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2014, 08:10:13 pm »
Also need to get the majority of Independents' votes, to win in many cases, and that faction agrees on the fiscal aspects of conservatism, but is closer to dems on social topics.

The objective of an election is to get votes and elect a candidate. The candidates job LATER is to argue/deliberate/arbitrate/decide policies and funds on a wide range of topics.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2014, 09:09:03 pm »
Bovine Fecal Matter!!!

1.   http://jsr.fsu.edu/issues/vol13/miller-steven.html
 Flippen unfolds his tale in rich detail: Carter’s faith moved front and center during his White House run, prompted by journalists eager to anoint a spokesperson for the born-agains. Carter probably did not win a majority of evangelical votes in 1976. However, he did attract support from Pat Robertson and Richard John Neuhaus (neither of whom were then outright rightists), as well as other future critics. Expectations were high among social conservatives. Liberals had expectations, too. And both groups more or less heard what they wanted to hear from candidate Carter. Thus, while Carter understandably thought giving attention to family issues would assist him politically, he proved mistaken. Carter spoke about the crisis of the family with the clean, warm-but-spare language befitting of a Sunday school lesson. Alas, the tone of family politics would not always prove so family-friendly.

My memory wasn't that bad on this one.  Support of the of Carter because of his "Christian" tale.

Pat Robertson Presidential candidacy in 1988 leads to lessened support of George H.W. Bush.  Increased Christian support of Bill Clinton in 1992.

So Cons stay at home after George W. Bush DWI gets revealed 2 days before Election Day.

Thats just off the top of my head and a quick check of references.  The "Moral Majority", "Christian Right", whatever is NOT the reliable demographic which the group would like to represent.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 10:52:40 pm »
Also need to get the majority of Independents' votes, to win in many cases, and that faction agrees on the fiscal aspects of conservatism, but is closer to dems on social topics.

The objective of an election is to get votes and elect a candidate. The candidates job LATER is to argue/deliberate/arbitrate/decide policies and funds on a wide range of topics.

It's one of the problems that makes the job of a Republican so difficult.  If we can campaign on the areas of agreement rather than disagreement, we might just be able to bring in more indies.  Certain social issues simply aren't going to work.  And it has nothing to do with values or principles.  We all have them, but without winning, all the "principles" in the world will not be worth a plug nickel.  Besides, I still believe the social right has a lot of interest in fiscal and defense issues.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2014, 11:49:42 pm »
It's one of the problems that makes the job of a Republican so difficult.  If we can campaign on the areas of agreement rather than disagreement, we might just be able to bring in more indies.  Certain social issues simply aren't going to work.  And it has nothing to do with values or principles.  We all have them, but without winning, all the "principles" in the world will not be worth a plug nickel.  Besides, I still believe the social right has a lot of interest in fiscal and defense issues.

The social right has only minor interest in fiscal and defense issues. They do not vote on those issues; if the social issues are not to their liking, they don't vote. I think the number of them that stayed home in 2012 was 4 million. There is no compromise with libertarian leaning fiscal conservatives who want gov't out of our private lives.
Maybe there will actually be a blessing from this disastrous 0bama admin., and we can have a 2016 campaign based on fiscal and defense issues and not have to worry about people's private lives.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2014, 12:13:55 am »
The social right has only minor interest in fiscal and defense issues. They do not vote on those issues; if the social issues are not to their liking, they don't vote. I think the number of them that stayed home in 2012 was 4 million. There is no compromise with libertarian leaning fiscal conservatives who want gov't out of our private lives.
Maybe there will actually be a blessing from this disastrous 0bama admin., and we can have a 2016 campaign based on fiscal and defense issues and not have to worry about people's private lives.

How easy it is to pigeonhole people to one side or the other.  I reject your binary world.  It's not one or the other.  Most of us are both.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2014, 12:22:17 am »

1.   http://jsr.fsu.edu/issues/vol13/miller-steven.html
 Flippen unfolds his tale in rich detail: Carter’s faith moved front and center during his White House run, prompted by journalists eager to anoint a spokesperson for the born-agains. Carter probably did not win a majority of evangelical votes in 1976. However, he did attract support from Pat Robertson and Richard John Neuhaus (neither of whom were then outright rightists), as well as other future critics. Expectations were high among social conservatives. Liberals had expectations, too. And both groups more or less heard what they wanted to hear from candidate Carter. Thus, while Carter understandably thought giving attention to family issues would assist him politically, he proved mistaken. Carter spoke about the crisis of the family with the clean, warm-but-spare language befitting of a Sunday school lesson. Alas, the tone of family politics would not always prove so family-friendly.

My memory wasn't that bad on this one.  Support of the of Carter because of his "Christian" tale.

Pat Robertson Presidential candidacy in 1988 leads to lessened support of George H.W. Bush.  Increased Christian support of Bill Clinton in 1992.

So Cons stay at home after George W. Bush DWI gets revealed 2 days before Election Day.

Thats just off the top of my head and a quick check of references.  The "Moral Majority", "Christian Right", whatever is NOT the reliable demographic which the group would like to represent.

So some adjunct associate professor at Podunk University is the worlds leading authority on the rise of the Religious Right in this country?

Sheech!!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

SPQR

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2014, 12:33:43 am »
Hear hear!!  You are correct, I don't think that some posters realize the history that some of us have had.  I have well worn soft soled shoes that I've worn going door to door for candidates that are older than some of the posters.  I've done it all since I was a teenager: phone banks, door to door, tending bar at fundraisers in firehouses, hanging signs, passing out handbills, graphics, web sites, etc.;  done it all for decades.  And, that hunting & fishing cabin that I've always wanted up north could have been easily paid for two or three times over with the $$$ that I've funneled into campaigns over the years!!

So yeah, I KNOW first hand how it works and I am ALSO completely sick and tired of it!

I have done all of that and still be awarded by the RNC their accolades for both raising money and going door to door
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:34:47 am by Trigger »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2014, 12:41:39 am »
I have done all of that and still be awarded by the RNC their accolades for both raising money and going door to door

Wonderful!  Uh, how many votes?  That's kind of the bottom line here.  You can't just write checks to achieve greatness.
I will NOT comply.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2014, 12:44:40 am »

It's good that you feel well-represented by your congress critters, Trigger.  Obviously, there are a good number of us that no longer feel the way you do.   There comes a point when you've heard all the rhetoric so many times and still hearing the same old excuses by the same old people. 

Myself?  I want to see a new party ultimately step up and speak for a whole hell of a lot of us, that are sick of the way things are now. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2014, 01:01:24 am »

I disagree with your first point.  I don't know how many stayed home in 2012, but the fact is that Obama overwhelmingly won the women, young, and Hispanic vote.  According to one analysis, those who wanted an end to all abortions voted for Romney over Obama by almost 80 to 20.  The same for the gay-marriage issue.  But while Romney won the born again vote by 78-21, Obama actually won the Catholic vote.  And the Tea Party vote went to Romney 87-21.

So it doesn't take much to see that 2012 wasn't about the social right staying home as much as it was about the women, young and Hispanics who didn't.  And the GOP didn't pay a lot of attention to the groups that didn't vote for Romney.  They were sucker-punched, and spent a lot of time trying to defend against the silly charges of wars on women, minorities, gays and the poor, which BTW worked for Obama.  And Romney was simply the last man standing, and failed to inspire just about everyone who watched his debates and speeches.

So I wouldn't run off or rule out the social right too quickly.  They are traditionally Republican voters, even if some of their social issues will have to take a back seat in '16.

SPQR

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2014, 01:02:10 am »
It's good that you feel well-represented by your congress critters, Trigger.  Obviously, there are a good number of us that no longer feel the way you do.   

They are there to represent you. If you do not like it run against them

SPQR

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2014, 01:03:58 am »
Wonderful!  Uh, how many votes?  That's kind of the bottom line here.  You can't just write checks to achieve greatness.

It takes money to win. The last time I checked, donating money is free speech.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:06:04 am by Trigger »

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2014, 01:10:00 am »
So some adjunct associate professor at Podunk University is the worlds leading authority on the rise of the Religious Right in this country?

Sheech!!

Christian support for Jimmy Carter was not a secret.  I just grabbed the first link I found.