Author Topic: MARK CUBAN: Here's What Republicans Should Do Next  (Read 9300 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
MARK CUBAN: Here's What Republicans Should Do Next
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:51:55 pm »
Colin Campbell
Business Insider
October 22, 2014

Billionaire investor Mark Cuban has some advice for the Republican Party: Drop the social issues.

"If I was going to give guidance to the Republican Party ... I'd say, 'Stay completely out of social issues,'" Cuban said Tuesday morning on CNBC's "Squawk Box."
More

Rush Limbaugh: Mark Cuban's Advice for the GOP

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: MARK CUBAN: Here's What Republicans Should Do Next
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 12:22:27 am »
I encourage folks to read the transcript at the link.

I don't think Rush agrees with the "screw the SoCons" approach.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 12:29:29 am »
I don't think Rush agrees with the "screw the SoCons" approach.

Well, Rush does have a lot of SoCon in him.  :laugh:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 12:33:36 am »
Well, Rush does have a lot of SoCon in him.  :laugh:

Indeed he does. Thing is, the SoCons are quite willing to say, "Screw the GOP."  Not sure the GOP can win without them.  A conundrum, eh?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 12:48:58 am »
The SoCons need to understand their interests have a seat at a Republican table, but none at a democrat table.

At a Republican table they don't get to sit at the head, and decide the entire seating chart, agenda, etc.

Example: Just 22% believe abortion should be illegal even for rape victims. Yet the SoCons now push their "personhood" paradigm.

Angle, Buck, O'Donnell, Akins, Mourdoch, Miller, Cuccinelli, just some examples of the "no abortion for rape" advocacy candidate group. What they have in common is losing winnable elections.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 01:01:23 am »
The SoCons need to understand their interests have a seat at a Republican table, but none at a democrat table.

At a Republican table they don't get to sit at the head, and decide the entire seating chart, agenda, etc.

Example: Just 22% believe abortion should be illegal even for rape victims. Yet the SoCons now push their "personhood" paradigm.

Angle, Buck, O'Donnell, Akins, Mourdoch, Miller, Cuccinelli, just some examples of the "no abortion for rape" advocacy candidate group. What they have in common is losing winnable elections.

Where else are they going to go, right?
I will NOT comply.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 01:39:45 am »

The SoCons are more interested in defeating RINOs than they are in winning small battles. All or nothing is their mantra.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 01:44:49 am »
The SoCons are more interested in defeating RINOs than they are in winning small battles. All or nothing is their mantra.

They're big on conscience, and they voted their consciences.  Then screw 'em.  That'll teach 'em good.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 02:09:16 am »

They're big on conscience, and they voted their consciences.  Then screw 'em.  That'll teach 'em good.

They don't care if their actions help elect Democrats. They ignore reality and plunge stubbornly ahead, putting their egos above the welfare of the country.

Offline Carling

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 02:25:36 am »
They don't care if their actions help elect Democrats. They ignore reality and plunge stubbornly ahead, putting their egos above the welfare of the country.

Mark Cuban is a self-made man who created his own wealth in a way that advanced our tech culture in a dramatic manner. 

He WANTS to be a Republican. 

He AGREES with the Tea Party GOP on taxes. 

Social conservatives are the one group of the GOP that are killing this party.  The war against "homos" has been lost, and at this point, I think the far right religious folk would listen to Jesus and let God decide who goes to Heaven or Hell.    :amen:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 02:26:52 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 02:45:38 am »
Carling wrote:
[[ Social conservatives are the one group of the GOP that are killing this party...]]

Cutting out "the social issues" from the Republican party would be tantamount to removing the heart and lungs from a person and still expect that person to be healthy.

It's not "the economic issues" that form the basis of conservatism -- it's the social and cultural issues that constitute that foundation. Get the culture correct, and good economics follows along naturally.

It is most certainly the "social and cultural" issues of the left that define them. And the other side is smart enough to understand that as they wage (thank P.J. Buchanan for the term) a "culture war" on traditional America.

Lemme make a comparison here, using the great conflict between The West and islam.

I'd be the first to say that The West doesn't have a chance of winning this struggle, until it is willing to face the reality of what "the enemy" really is. Only then, and only with that understanding will a course to victory become clear, recognizable, attainable.

So it goes with the culture war we have on our own soil.
Until the Republican party is willing to see what that "enemy" is -- a cultural one (again, the left knows what it is fighting for) -- and until they're willing to engage on proper terms -- they'll keep right on losing ground. Even while they win a majority in both houses of Congress.

How can the Republicans win the struggle, when they can't even recognize what the fight is about?

SPQR

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 02:52:24 am »
Start making a list to make Obama's legislative agenda miserable.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 02:52:52 am by Trigger »

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 03:09:05 am »

Home. We have no "seat at the GOP table". We're merely the 'staff'. Called upon to serve the dinner, and treated with anything from condescension to contempt. Our 'betters' keep telling us we have to abandon our principles for 'pragmatism', to attract this voting bloc, that group, those guys. Our money is welcome, our work is expected, our vote is demanded, but our concerns must be ignored, because the GOP can't win with them. Except  they don't. This voting bloc, that group, those guys never show up [except for Reagan, who espoused fiscal, defense AND social issues that drew the blue collar Dems in droves]. You trot out Bob "It's My Turn" Dole, John McCain, Mitt Romney. And you lose. And somehow, it's OUR fault. So here's the deal. We won't drag you down with our issues. Or our votes. Because to us, moderate Pubbies are merely well dressed Democrats. And that'll give you all those moderates and Independents who've held back from voting for you because of us. And then we'll see.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

SPQR

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 03:40:54 am »
Home. We have no "seat at the GOP table". We're merely the 'staff'. Called upon to serve the dinner, and treated with anything from condescension to contempt. Our 'betters' keep telling us we have to abandon our principles for 'pragmatism', to attract this voting bloc, that group, those guys. Our money is welcome, our work is expected, our vote is demanded, but our concerns must be ignored, because the GOP can't win with them. Except  they don't. This voting bloc, that group, those guys never show up [except for Reagan, who espoused fiscal, defense AND social issues that drew the blue collar Dems in droves]. You trot out Bob "It's My Turn" Dole, John McCain, Mitt Romney. And you lose. And somehow, it's OUR fault. So here's the deal. We won't drag you down with our issues. Or our votes. Because to us, moderate Pubbies are merely well dressed Democrats. And that'll give you all those moderates and Independents who've held back from voting for you because of us. And then we'll see.

I have won several awards for raising money for the RNC. If you can't beat them,join them.The person at my table was Edwin Meese, Very shy and quiet . Talked about his years with the Reagan Administration.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:24:12 am by Trigger »

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 03:46:17 am »

I am with you 100% brother!!

:thumbsup:

SPQR

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 06:20:52 am »
Working within the system works brings about change. Complaining about it is a waste of time and energy.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:22:34 am by Trigger »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 09:23:08 am »
I am with you 100% brother!!

:thumbsup:

As am I!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RaccoonRevolution

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 09:27:56 am »
Working within the system works brings about change. Complaining about it is a waste of time and energy.
But it does bring in the big bucks unlike solving the issue which does not.

SPQR

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 09:33:21 am »
But it does bring in the big bucks unlike solving the issue which does not.

I have never had experience. It allows you to bring a particular issue to them on a face to face basis. I once met a Congressman at one of these parties it allowed me a discussion  of a particular defense issue. He brought it up at the next hearing the next day.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:46:20 am by Trigger »

SPQR

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 09:39:06 am »
As am I!

How do you know if you have not tried it? I do not want to have to be the waiter. I want to have a seat.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:52:10 am by Trigger »

Offline olde north church

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 11:53:10 am »
The so-cons have denied more than 3 before the cock has crowed.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 12:19:29 pm »

:amen: :amen: :amen:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 12:23:29 pm »

I've been doing that for almost forty years Trigger - and I know there are others here that have worked their tails off for the GOP longer than that.  Now we're old, and we're sick to damned tired of it!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 12:50:27 pm »

I think, to some Pubbies, it's better to lose without the SoCons than it is to win with them.  SoCons apparently expect to be listened to after voting.
I will NOT comply.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 01:09:58 pm »

A couple of points if I may.  First take a look at Reagan's nomination acceptance speech and find me a social issue he talked about.  A good friend of mine was kicked off of TOS in 2007 for mentioning the fact that Reagan signed the largest abortion bill ever as California governor, in spite of his later concerns that doctors took advantage of it.

The other point is one I see often here...and elsewhere.  You said, "We're merely the 'staff'. Called upon to serve the dinner, and treated with anything from condescension to contempt.", and then later in the same post said this, "Because to us, moderate Pubbies are merely well dressed Democrats."  A little condescension and contempt there perhaps?

Social, fiscal, defense and the role of government aren't stand-alone issues.  Some in the Party lean more heavily in one than the other.  But in order to win the head seat at the table in 2016 the GOP needs more than just a vocal group from the social right.  To be sure the Party needs the stronger viewpoints to help push it in the right direction, whether socially, fiscally or otherwise.  But it also needs those who can sit across the table from the opposition and work out compromises.  Reagan was a genius at that.  Principle and pragmatism are not mutually exclusive.

But what the Party needs to understand most of all is that while its job is to lead America, it's also there to listen to America, something many have difficulty doing.   

It's the Supreme Court nominations!