Author Topic: Four arrests over acid attacks against women in Iran  (Read 346 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Four arrests over acid attacks against women in Iran
« on: October 21, 2014, 06:49:33 am »
Iranian police have arrested four men suspected of involvement in multiple acid attacks against women last week.

Reports suggest there have been at least four such attacks in Isfahan, Iran's third-largest city. Others place the figure as high as 11.

Officials have not released details, but social media users say the women were targeted for not following Iran's strict dress code.

If convicted, the attackers could face the death penalty.

In Iran women are legally required to dress modestly and ensure their hair is covered.

But Ahmad Shouhani, an Iranian politician, told Iran's official news agency Irna that vigilante attacks were not acceptable.

"Any improper veiling should be punished by law, not individually," he said.
Wrapped in bandages

Nasser Jowrkesh, whose daughter Soheila was one of the victims, told BBC Persian: "The attack caused extensive acid burns on her face, forehead, both hands and legs.

"She has lost her complete eyesight on her right eye. Regarding her left eye an ophthalmologist and surgeon in Labbafi Nejad hospital believes that there is a narrow hope to save some 25-30% of her eyesight."

Pictures on Irna's website showed women wrapped in bandages lying on hospital beds.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-29695633
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Four arrests over acid attacks against women in Iran
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 07:03:57 am »
When I hear of this kind of insanity, I always think of that Doors song - Riders on the Storm.

"There's a killer on the road - his brain is squirming like a toad."

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!