Author Topic: Obama confident he could replace Ginsburg  (Read 711 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama confident he could replace Ginsburg
« on: October 20, 2014, 03:20:49 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/221248-obama-confident-he-could-replace-ginsburg

October 20, 2014, 10:44 am
Obama confident he could replace Ginsburg
By Justin Sink

President Obama is confident he could get a replacement for Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg through the Senate, because the intense media spotlight would prevent “shenanigans,” he said in an interview published Monday.

Obama was asked to respond to Ginsburg’s contention in a recent interview with Elle that, were she to resign this year, the president “could not successfully appoint anyone I would like to see in the Court.”

“Well, we’ve got a pretty good track record,” Obama told The New Yorker. “We’ve got a couple of Supreme Court Justices confirmed who I think are doing outstanding work.”

Obama suggested the high-profile nature of a Supreme Court fight meant he’d have better success with a nominee than with some appointments to less prominent positions.

“My sense is that the Senate necessarily has to treat the Supreme Court nomination process differently than the circuit- or district-court nomination process — higher profile, people are paying attention,” Obama said.

“They have the sense, ‘All right, this is big,’ ” and the media cover the story intensely, “which means that some of the shenanigans that were taking place in terms of blocking appointments, stalling appointments, I think are more difficult to pull off during a Supreme Court nomination process.”

Earlier this summer, a senior administration official told The Hill that the White House wasn't worried about filling a potential vacancy on the high court, saying it would be politically difficult for Republicans to hold up a vote on a qualified justice.

But a Supreme Court vacancy would be a major test for Obama, particularly if Republicans win the majority in the midterm elections.

Obama took pains to stress that he was not encouraging Ginsburg to retire.

“Justice Ginsburg is doing a wonderful job,” Obama said. “She is one of my favorite people. Life tenure means she gets to decide, not anybody else, when she chooses to go.”

Asked if he had advice to her about retirement, Obama reportedly replied with a smile, “none whatsoever.”

During a fundraiser in August, the president appeared to speculate that a retirement on the high court could be coming soon — although a White House official hastily said the president was merely speaking hypothetically.

Obama told donors that a faction within the Republican Party "thinks solely in terms of their own ideological purposes and solely in terms of 'how do they hang onto power?' And that's a problem. And that's why I need a Democratic Senate."

"Not to mention the fact that we're going to have Supreme Court appointments, and there are gonna be a whole host of issues that many people care about that are going to be determined" by whether Democrats control the Senate, Obama said.

In addition to the 81-year-old Ginsburg, many court watchers have suggested Stephen Breyer, 75, might be considering retirement before the end of Obama’s term.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Obama confident he could replace Ginsburg
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 03:28:15 pm »
Ginsburg's dead meat, she might even get Breitbarted if she doesn't retire soon. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 03:58:41 pm »
Ginsburg's dead meat, she might even get Breitbarted if she doesn't retire soon.

Bambi better have a Jewish replacement or ...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 02:32:55 am »
alice wrote above:
[[ Ginsburg's dead meat, she might even get Breitbarted if she doesn't retire soon. ]]

The only way she's leaving before Obama is feet first (and yes, I realize that could happen).

I've posted this before, but even though she is a liberal and lefty as it gets, I still sense that deep down she hates him, and will not give him the privilege of appointing her successor.

(Aside: I wouldn't be surprised if the "successor" would in fact be the first muslim nominated to the Court)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 04:35:33 am »
alice wrote above:
[[ Ginsburg's dead meat, she might even get Breitbarted if she doesn't retire soon. ]]

The only way she's leaving before Obama is feet first (and yes, I realize that could happen).

I've posted this before, but even though she is a liberal and lefty as it gets, I still sense that deep down she hates him, and will not give him the privilege of appointing her successor.

(Aside: I wouldn't be surprised if the "successor" would in fact be the first muslim nominated to the Court)

I sense the same thing from Ginsberg, you would think for the sake of ideology, that she would be happy to step down and give Obama a chance to put a younger liberal on the court.  But she's fighting it tooth and nail.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!