Author Topic: Catholic synod: Gay rights groups 'disappointed'  (Read 1043 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Catholic synod: Gay rights groups 'disappointed'
« on: October 19, 2014, 07:03:55 am »
Catholic gay rights groups say they are disappointed after bishops rejected a call for wider acceptance of gay people, which had the Pope's backing.

A draft paper, which also urged more tolerance for divorcees who remarried, failed to win two-thirds backing at the bishops' synod in Rome.

The final version says only that anti-gay discrimination is "to be avoided".

Pope Francis has asked for the full draft document, including the rejected paragraphs, to be published.

The synod will meet again in a year's time in an expanded form.

Some 200 bishops had spent two weeks discussing family life issues at the Vatican.

The synod has revealed a fracture line in Church opinion over how to adapt traditional teaching on human sexuality to 21st Century attitudes, says the BBC's David Willey in Rome.

Pope Francis had made a powerful appeal to traditionalists not to lock themselves within the letter of the law, but conservative cardinals and bishops carried the day at the end of the synod, our correspondent adds.
'Very disappointing'

The New Ways Ministry, a US Catholic gay rights group, said it was "very disappointing" that the synod's final report had not retained "the gracious welcome to lesbian and gay people that the draft of the report included".

But it added that the synod's "openness to discussion" provided "hope for further development down the road".

Another group, DignityUSA, said in a statement: "Unfortunately, today, doctrine won out over pastoral need.

"It is disappointing that those who recognised the need for a more inclusive Church were defeated."
Pope Francis prays as he opens the morning session of a two-week synod on family issues at the Vatican, 18 October 2014 Although Pope Francis' proposals were rebuffed, they still gained more than 50% of the votes

However, Christopher Lamb, from British Catholic journal The Tablet, told the BBC the discussion at the synod had been a "huge achievement in itself".

It was important, he said, to remember that many of the bishops at the synod were from countries where homosexuality was illegal.

"We have now got an acceptance that we need a new language in the Church when talking about gay couples and homosexuality in general," he added.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29678751
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Catholic synod: Gay rights groups 'disappointed'
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 06:37:43 am »
I don't understand what recently happened with the Pope and his statements about homosexuality.  Is the church changing on this, or was it overblown? 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 06:56:09 am »
No change, as far as I know. It wasn't even that close, despite His Holiness expressing his preferences very clearly.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 06:57:55 am »
No change, as far as I know. It wasn't even that close, despite His Holiness expressing his preferences very clearly.

Is he for or against?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 07:05:00 am »
He's sort of for. Not gay marriage, as such, but permitting gays and re-married divorcees to take the Sacrament.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 07:09:36 am »
He's sort of for. Not gay marriage, as such, but permitting gays and re-married divorcees to take the Sacrament.

Oh.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.  I'm not Catholic, but to me - one sin isn't any worse than another, so if other sinners are allowed to take the Sacrament.....

SPQR

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 10:08:24 am »
Oh.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.  I'm not Catholic, but to me - one sin isn't any worse than another, so if other sinners are allowed to take the Sacrament.....

In my religion there is a procedure and I am very glad its a very conservative Christian religion that reflects my values.