Author Topic: More people hospitalized by bad batch of synthetic marijuana  (Read 498 times)

Offline flowers

More people hospitalized by bad batch of synthetic marijuana
« on: October 07, 2014, 06:13:30 pm »
http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional-berks/more-people-hospitalized-by-bad-batch-of-synthetic-marijuana/28977216

WEST READING, Pa. - A bad batch of synthetic marijuana continues to put people in Berks County in the hospital. The emergency department at Reading Hospital is still flooded with patients overdosing and getting sick on a bad batch of K2. Hospital officials told 69 News they have seen 25 additional cases related to K2 in the last seven days. That's now 55 total emergency department visits over the last three weeks. Quick Clicks D.A. issues warning about synthetic marijuana "I'd like to see it gone and I'll do anything in my power to help get rid of it," said Felicia Harrell, who has several friends who overdosed on K2 and landed in the hospital. The drug is cheap and easily accessible. Harrell said a big source is coming from Reading. "I've heard that a few people are going and spraying it with Raid and trying to sell it as K2," said Harrell. Berks County District Attorney John Adams said he believes the batch of K2 is laced with heroin. His office is still awaiting lab results to confirm. Officials in the area are now stressing awareness. The Council on Chemical Abuse hosted a workshop, "Responding to Synthetic Drug Abuse," on Monday. Forty professionals learned about the side-effects and became better educated about the epidemic confronting Berks County. "If we can take that message to parents and children that the more information that's out there the better about how serious these things are and that it can and will result in death," said Martha Thompson, a regional expert on synthetic drug abuse. "We need to increase access to care and get people into the treatments that they need." Hallucinations, seizures and violent behavior are several of the side-effects of synthetic drugs. Harrell has already lost two best friends this year. Although it was not due to drugs, she wanted to speak out to prevent her loved ones from falling victim to K2.