Author Topic: The 20 Cars Most Likely To Last 200,000 Miles  (Read 1172 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The 20 Cars Most Likely To Last 200,000 Miles
« on: October 03, 2014, 03:43:15 pm »
http://www.businessinsider.com/cars-most-likely-to-get-to-200000-miles-2014-10

Business Insider

Oct. 3, 2014, 6:54 AM

If you're going to buy a new or used car, it's good to know that it's not going to break down after a few thousand miles. Even better is knowing that it'll have a good shot at crossing the 200,000 mile mark.

To find the vehicles mostly likely to reach that milestone, iSeeCars, which helps shoppers find good deals on used cars, analyzed listings for 30 million used vehicles from the past year.

Turns out that if you want to go the distance, your best choice is the Ford F-250, followed by the Chevy Silverado 2500HD. If you want an SUV that will hit 200,000 miles, take the Chevy Suburban. For a regular car, take the Honda Accord.

The trucks on the list are pretty big. So it's worth noting that there's a trend in the auto industry toward crafting pickups that are lighter in weight. Does that mean these trucks won't last as long, as aluminum replaces steel in their construction? That remains to be seen. But the bottom line right now is that when it comes to vehicles, a big old heavy truck is where you should go.

Obviously, there are some practicality issues to deal with. Not everybody needs a Ford F-250, a truck designed to absorb some punishment and do things like haul around large boats.

The iSeeCars data shows what percentage of each kind of car has 200,000 miles or more on the odometer, by model. So the chart below shows that 4.2% of Ford F-250 Super Duty trucks listed for sale have already driven more than 200,000 miles.

[An earlier version of this post was written by Alex Davies.]

Here are the top 20 longest-lasting vehicles:

Transportation More: Cars Used cars Pickup Trucks Features
The 20 Cars Most Likely To Last 200,000 Miles

Business Insider

Oct. 3, 2014, 6:54 AM

facebook
    linkedin
    twitter
    google+
    print
    email

old ford f-250 pickup truckiSeeCars.com

If you're going to buy a new or used car, it's good to know that it's not going to break down after a few thousand miles. Even better is knowing that it'll have a good shot at crossing the 200,000 mile mark.

To find the vehicles mostly likely to reach that milestone, iSeeCars, which helps shoppers find good deals on used cars, analyzed listings for 30 million used vehicles from the past year.

Turns out that if you want to go the distance, your best choice is the Ford F-250, followed by the Chevy Silverado 2500HD. If you want an SUV that will hit 200,000 miles, take the Chevy Suburban. For a regular car, take the Honda Accord.

The trucks on the list are pretty big. So it's worth noting that there's a trend in the auto industry toward crafting pickups that are lighter in weight. Does that mean these trucks won't last as long, as aluminum replaces steel in their construction? That remains to be seen. But the bottom line right now is that when it comes to vehicles, a big old heavy truck is where you should go.

Obviously, there are some practicality issues to deal with. Not everybody needs a Ford F-250, a truck designed to absorb some punishment and do things like haul around large boats.

The iSeeCars data shows what percentage of each kind of car has 200,000 miles or more on the odometer, by model. So the chart below shows that 4.2% of Ford F-250 Super Duty trucks listed for sale have already driven more than 200,000 miles.

[An earlier version of this post was written by Alex Davies.]

Here are the top 20 longest-lasting vehicles:

used cars over 250,000 miles chart

Here are the top vehicles when you take out trucks:

With trucks and SUVs out of the picture, sedans finally move the top of the list:

NOW WATCH: The New BMW 3 Series Is More Efficient Than A Smart Car

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: The 20 Cars Most Likely To Last 200,000 Miles
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 03:46:04 pm »
I'm working on it with my '99 Chevy Tahoe - 153,000 miles.  She's been a beauty! 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 04:53:37 pm »
A Jeep Wrangler is just getting warmed up at 200K

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 04:58:50 pm »
Once owned one like this!

Sold it still running strong with 339K miles. Wish i had it back!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline evadR

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 05:11:25 pm »
6 of the top 10 are obama motor works vehicles???????

AYSM???
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 10:19:25 pm »
I bought a dirt cheap used '98 Taurus with about 190,000 miles on it last year. It's up over 200,000 now and it still runs pretty reliably. It's got issues, as any car of that age will, but it still works.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 03:22:00 am »
6 of the top 10 are obama motor works vehicles???????

AYSM???

They are also common fleet vehicles which means constant maintenance and very high mileage.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 03:37:30 am »
I have a 2004 4Runner with 259,000 miles on it.  Runs awesome.  Interior leather has no no tears whatsoever.  Clean as new.  Really.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 03:26:56 pm »
Replaced my Ford Escape (125,000 miles) last year with a Subaru Forester and expect to get at least as much mileage out of it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org