Author Topic: Plan to ax 'Redskins' from NFL Thursday Night game  (Read 1468 times)

rangerrebew

Plan to ax 'Redskins' from NFL Thursday Night game
« on: September 25, 2014, 07:32:19 pm »

Plan to ax 'Redskins' from NFL Thursday Night game

By Paul Bedard  | September 25, 2014 | 12:04 pm

Even South Park mocked the Redskins.

The mounting attacks on the Washington Redskins name is having a huge impact on network broadcasters who are calling the football team “Washington” more than twice as much as last year, according to a review of NFL broadcast scripts.

The growing trend will become even more apparent Thursday night when the Redskins play the New York Giants in the nationally televised game during which broadcaster Phil Simms has vowed to avoid using “Redskins.” The show "South Park" also made headlines this week with a segment that mocked the Redskins.

The switch comes as the NFL and Redskins face mounting legal and political challenges to using the name that some call racist and the team calls honorable.

A chief antagonist, George Washington University law professor John Banzhaf, said “It can't just be a coincidence or a random event.”

Banzhaf has challenged the FCC license renewal of one of Redskins owner Daniel Snyder’s radio stations and believes the challenges are helping change the language used by broadcasters.

He cited a Deadspin survey of the first two weekends of games that found a dramatic drop in the use of “Redskins” vs. “Washington” by broadcasters.

The survey said that in 2013, “Redskins” was used 186 times, “Washington” 156 times. This year, “Washington” was the winner over “Redskins” 169 times to 67.

Deadspin noted that the 2013 numbers were higher because the Redskins played in a Monday night game, which is nationally televised. Tonight’s game should even up the numbers because it is a national broadcast.

Banzhaf said the percentages matter more than the actual numbers. “In 2013, ‘Redskins’ was said almost 20 percent more often than ‘Washington.’ But only one year later, ‘Washington’ was said more than two and a half times as often as ‘Redskins,’” he said.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/plan-to-ax-redskins-from-nfl-thursday-night-game/article/2553934
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:33:31 pm by rangerrebew »

Online mountaineer

Re: Plan to ax 'Redskins' from NFL Thursday Night game
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 11:24:20 pm »
FCC may start fining stations for saying Redskins on air

Mediaite:

Tom Wheeler, chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, indicated Tuesday that the FCC may begin fining broadcasters for saying the Washington Redskins name on air.

The FCC recently received a petition from John Banzhaf III, a legal activist and George Washington University professor, calling on the agency to strip a Washington, D.C., radio station of its broadcasting license for using the name, according to Reuters.

“We’ll be looking at that petition, we will be dealing with that issue on the merits and we’ll be responding accordingly,” Wheeler said during a conference with reporters, according to Reuters.

“There are a lot of names and descriptions that were used over time that are inappropriate today,” he said. “And I think the name that is attributed to the Washington football club is one of those.”

Several media outlets have already instituted their own self censorship policies on the name Redskins, including the Washington Post and Washington Business Journal.

NFL announcers Tony Dungy of ABC and Phil Simms of CBS have also pledged not to use the name on air.

The Redskins team name is widely considered to be a slur against Native Americans.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 11:41:52 pm »
I believe that SCOTUS precedent on this would get such a fine thrown out of court in pretty short order.

It is pretty clear that the use of the word "Redskins" to accurately describe a team name has no direct intent of being a slur. Furthermore, as a documenting of live events as they happen, such usage is exempt from the FCC indecency regulations anyway.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 11:45:00 pm »
So I suppose for those nitwits with an irrational hatred for the word "Patriots" (like, say, most progressives), it makes perfect sense to fine any sports announcer who uses the term when referring to the New England team.   :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 09:11:30 pm »
Why isn't the FCC after the KC Chiefs?

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 09:27:04 pm »

What are they going to ax them about the game?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 10:33:59 pm »
Why isn't the FCC after the KC Chiefs?
It's interesting you ask that.

I follow a few sports reporters on Twitter. One of them is a pretty obvious liberal and has been consistently in favor of those angling to get rid of the Redskins moniker.

She noted after the Chiefs-Patriots game on Monday night that she wasn't a fan of the all-red outfit the Chiefs were wearing, "or the tomahawk/war chant, but that's a different issue."

It's kind of surprising that with the Redskins getting so much heat, and Cleveland's Chief Wahoo getting "retired" even though there is NOTHING inherently negative or derogatory about that mascot, that the Chiefs have escaped scrutiny.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 12:48:39 am »

:silly:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline evadR

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 01:31:23 am »
NFL announcers Tony Dungy of ABC and Phil Simms of CBS have also pledged not to use the name on air.

Suck it! Both of you.
The TV will be muted.

I'll kinda miss Dungy but Simms is the biggest ignoramus on TV.

November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 09:46:47 pm »
Monday Night game against my Seahawks is next. Interesting to see how ESPN handles it.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline evadR

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 12:59:05 am »
Monday Night game against my Seahawks is next. Interesting to see how ESPN handles it.
Your Hawks are gonna come in, kick ass and take names.
My REDSKINS are hopeless.

Offline evadR

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 01:00:50 am »
Looks like another 3-13 season. The only question is "where are they going to get 2 more wins?"

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 02:55:10 am »
Used to respect Tony Dungy.  Yikes

Phil Simms is an idiot.  Totally expected.

Offline famousdayandyear

Offline evadR

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 03:12:51 pm »
:howlin: :howlin: :howlin:
I love those wolves.
I believe we have a deep kinship with the wolf.
I sometime go outside on a full moon night and howl. I feel much better afterward.

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 07:58:32 pm »
I love those wolves.
I believe we have a deep kinship with the wolf.
I sometime go outside on a full moon night and howl. I feel much better afterward.

Yep. with a little help from MD 20/20, it's a howlin good time,

Offline evadR

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 03:48:53 am »
Yep. with a little help from MD 20/20, it's a howlin good time,
heh...yeah. I'm sure it's great stuff ..but..there are limits to my insanity.

rangerrebew

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 09:03:57 pm »
Why aren't these Redskins haters also upset with the "Cowboys" for stealing so much land from them?  Obviously anyone who likes Cowboys are racist. :whistle:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:04:23 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline evadR

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 09:38:17 pm »

They're gonna ax em why they're so damned shitty.
A non existent defense and an offense that only scores garbage points.

I'd say it's going to be another 3-13 season but I don't know where they're going to pick up 2 more wins.