Author Topic: Detroit cuts off water for families - and hopes for future  (Read 434 times)

Offline flowers

Detroit cuts off water for families - and hopes for future
« on: September 21, 2014, 06:43:59 pm »
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29185710

For months, thousands of families in Detroit have been living without water.

It is not because of natural disaster, but because of a controversial decision by the city to enforce bans for those who do not pay their bills.

But the plight of those without water - already among the poorest residents of any major city in America - is getting national and even international attention from human rights groups.

"It was early in the morning and I was making coffee when I saw the water truck and I ran outside," says Valerie Blakely.

She says she sat crying and shouting in front of her home as she witnessed what followed.

"He pulled [up] across the street and shut off my neighbour," she points down her road in North End in Detroit.

Offline flowers

Re: Detroit cuts off water for families - and hopes for future
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 06:45:48 pm »
I see this in the BBC, anyone see this in our media?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 06:48:08 pm »
Detroit is the poster city for the left.

Nice work, Dems.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 07:30:57 pm »
US history is replete with examples of "boom towns" which eventually go bust or into "ghost towns."

Mining is just one example. Gold mining booms in California, Colorado, Silver mining booms in Colorado, Nevada, etc.

When the bonanza ended, folks left because necessity dictated they do so to survive.

Building huge volumes of vehicles was bound to "play out" eventually. The companies took far too long to improve both designs and quality.

The workers were not highly skilled, and the companies had financial incentives to take work to lower cost regions.

The other "rich vein" that played out was the overpaid union situation.

Once upon a time the human species was smart enough to move on. Get out of the way of disaster.

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/gt-hiddentales.html

Them folks in Detroit could move to a present day boomtown, like those in oil production:

http://business.financialpost.com/2012/07/24/drilling-for-growth-the-u-s-s-top-ten-oil-boomtowns/?__lsa=58da-7452

Then they would have to work. Detroit is a long term study in "survival of the fittest" for individuals and institutions.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:44:08 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln