Author Topic: White House: Obama Will Not Consider Combat Troops On The Ground  (Read 2685 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
White House: Obama Will Not Consider Combat Troops On The Ground
« on: September 17, 2014, 07:50:35 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/09/17/White-House-Obama-Will-Not-Consider-Combat-Troops-On-The-Ground

by Charlie Spiering 17 Sep 2014, 12:16 PM PDT

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest pushed back against the notion that President Obama was prepared to consider a plan to send ground troops into combat.

Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey explained yesterday that Obama asked him to “come back to him on a case-by-case basis” on the use of ground troops.

But Earnest pushed back strongly against the notion, suggesting that any use of ground troops was counter to the mission against ISIS.

“That is not an option that the president will consider,” Earnest told reporters aboard Air Force One, referring to U.S. troops “personally or directly engaging the enemy in combat on the ground.”

Earnest pushed back against the skepticism raised by Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, who suggested in a recent interview that it would be difficult to destroy ISIS without the use of ground troops.

“There will be boots on the ground if there’s to be any hope of success in the strategy and I think that by continuing to repeat that — the president, in effect, traps himself,” Gates said.

“I think what I would say is that there is no doubt that what the president is pursuing here is a strategy that ensures that America’s National Security interests are front and center,” he said in response .

Instead, Earnest suggested that it would be possible for “forward deployment of US military advisers" in the fight against ISIL.

Earnest warned that getting ground troops drawn into combat “didn’t always end with us maximizing the benefits of our own national security.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

rangerrebew

Re: White House: Obama Will Not Consider Combat Troops On The Ground
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:55:04 pm »
It all depends on your definition of consider. :woohoo:

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 10:13:23 pm »
It all depends on your definition of consider. :woohoo:

And what the definition of a 'combat troop' is.

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline LambertLunatic

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 01:32:49 pm »
Let me be clear about this, there will be no boots on the ground.  Period.  Until after the election. 

Just like immigration, he's  waiting until after the election.  Then he's unleashed.

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 01:46:30 pm »
Let me be clear about this, there will be no boots on the ground.  Period.  Until after the election. 

Just like immigration, he's  waiting until after the election.  Then he's unleashed.

Didn't he say "watch my lips" like another POTUS who said no new taxes? :whistle:

Offline Relic

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 02:09:06 pm »
I'm not steadfast on this one, but I think there should be no US boots on the ground until there are boots on the ground from everyone who would benefit from destroying ISIS. And that's pretty much all of the Western world.

I'm war weary, and I'm tired of America doing all the heavy lifting while the rest of the world spits on us.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 02:16:09 pm »
I'm not steadfast on this one, but I think there should be no US boots on the ground until there are boots on the ground from everyone who would benefit from destroying ISIS. And that's pretty much all of the Western world.

I'm war weary, and I'm tired of America doing all the heavy lifting while the rest of the world spits on us.

Relax.

America won't do any heavy lifting with a moral fly weight as CinC.......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Relic

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 02:19:26 pm »
Relax.

America won't do any heavy lifting with a moral fly weight as CinC.......

Even if I were in favor of heavy lifting, I don't want to go to war with those morons in charge.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 02:30:00 pm »
Even if I were in favor of heavy lifting, I don't want to go to war with those morons in charge.

That's the position I'm in.

I think America has been the greatest force for good in world history.  The greatest liberator of oppressed people, and destroyer of malignant forces.

But we are so screwed up now because of the reelection of Barack Obama that we couldn't accomplish the task even if the American people have the will for it.

I don't know how we survive this administration; either internally or in foreign affairs.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 03:07:18 pm »

And what the definition of a 'combat troop' is.

We learned in Vietnam...and subsequent wars that with the 360 degree battlefield there is no such thing as non-combat troops.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 04:22:41 pm »
We learned in Vietnam...and subsequent wars that with the 360 degree battlefield there is no such thing as non-combat troops.

I remember thinking/hoping that when our son went to Iraq during his first deployment in a water supply unit that he would be safe.....

**nononono*

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 04:28:31 pm »
You people seem to think that Obama actually has some intention of actually destroying ISIS!

He has no such intention! In fact just the opposite is his intention!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 04:34:19 pm »
I remember thinking/hoping that when our son went to Iraq during his first deployment in a water supply unit that he would be safe.....

**nononono*

What happened to your son if you can share it Musiclady? 

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 04:36:15 pm »
You people seem to think that Obama actually has some intention of actually destroying ISIS!

He has no such intention! In fact just the opposite is his intention!

Well I do know Obama is incompetent with respect to anything military, but if his intention is to preserve or expand ISIS, why?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 04:40:45 pm »
Well I do know Obama is incompetent with respect to anything military, but if his intention is to preserve or expand ISIS, why?

Looking at the big picture tell me what he has ever done to damage the Muslim brotherhood in any way? Why do you think it would be different this time?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 04:46:47 pm »
That's the position I'm in.

I think America has been the greatest force for good in world history.  The greatest liberator of oppressed people, and destroyer of malignant forces.

But we are so screwed up now because of the reelection of Barack Obama that we couldn't accomplish the task even if the American people have the will for it.

I don't know how we survive this administration; either internally or in foreign affairs.

It could very well be that today's US Army is incapable of fighting a force like ISIS on the ground.  Our military has been hollowed out in favor of people who train and are trained in "diversity" and "tolerance" as opposed to weapons and tactics.  There's been a tremendous clearing out of upper level officers, and I suspect the ones who have left were the best people.

What is remaining is largely a Democrat patronage army, which is to say one that gets paid to vote rather than to fight.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 04:54:15 pm »
It could very well be that today's US Army is incapable of fighting a force like ISIS on the ground.  Our military has been hollowed out in favor of people who train and are trained in "diversity" and "tolerance" as opposed to weapons and tactics.  There's been a tremendous clearing out of upper level officers, and I suspect the ones who have left were the best people.

What is remaining is largely a Democrat patronage army, which is to say one that gets paid to vote rather than to fight.

Don't disagree with a single word of that.

And when you combine a reduced capability military with horrific ROE's, I have a sick feeling it would be a slaughter house for our troops.

That's why my usual sense that we need to destroy those who would destroy us is no longer there.

Because of Obama, I no longer trust my own country to do the right thing.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 04:57:08 pm »
Looking at the big picture tell me what he has ever done to damage the Muslim brotherhood in any way? Why do you think it would be different this time?

Well I start by again referencing his total military incompetency.  I've no idea how far he wants to go to stop or destroy ISIS, but with his leftist base, he finds himself in a real quandary.  It's why he's suddenly hoping like hell to get someone else involved on the ground which of course will be essential.  And I do believe he believes the Muslim Brotherhood isn't as bad as some of us see them, and essentially sees ISIS as unrelated to the MB. 

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 05:22:14 pm »
Well I start by again referencing his total military incompetency.  I've no idea how far he wants to go to stop or destroy ISIS, but with his leftist base, he finds himself in a real quandary.  It's why he's suddenly hoping like hell to get someone else involved on the ground which of course will be essential.  And I do believe he believes the Muslim Brotherhood isn't as bad as some of us see them, and essentially sees ISIS as unrelated to the MB. 

pretty good analysis

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 07:31:11 pm »

You were saying...

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/09/18/wsj-obama-will-personally-approve-u-s-strikes-in-syria/

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 07:46:11 pm »
You were saying...

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/09/18/wsj-obama-will-personally-approve-u-s-strikes-in-syria/

I think it supports what I've been saying.  He's trying desperately to placate his base, and is walking a very tight line.  I've also said he's quite incompetent with respect to military strategy.  Whether I like it or not, the CinC is still in charge of the military.  Micromanaging a war may not be wise, but it's also not illegal.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 09:25:30 pm »
Car bomb in Baghdad today.   This adventure cannot end well.  Pray for our troops.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 12:44:18 am »
Car bomb in Baghdad today.   This adventure cannot end well.  Pray for our troops.

Amen!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 01:03:42 am »
I think it supports what I've been saying.  He's trying desperately to placate his base, and is walking a very tight line.  I've also said he's quite incompetent with respect to military strategy.  Whether I like it or not, the CinC is still in charge of the military.  Micromanaging a war may not be wise, but it's also not illegal.

He doing the exact minimum he thinks he can get away with while getting the issue off his back and nothing more.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 01:13:24 am »
He doing the exact minimum he thinks he can get away with while getting the issue off his back and nothing more.

Which is a lot different than what you originally said.  As incompetent as his is, he's not trying to see ISIS succeed.  To him everything has a political solution. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 01:25:09 am by MACVSOG68 »