Author Topic: Satanic Temple Announces It Will Distribute Materials In Florida Schools  (Read 1023 times)

rangerrebew

Satanic Temple Announces It Will Distribute Materials In Florida Schools

"We think the responsible thing to do is to..."

Following a school board decision to permit the distribution of religious materials, the Satanic Temple has announced it will distribute pamphlets at the school to students.

The pamphlets will cover the philosophy and practice of Satanism and Satanic Temple tenets.

Temple spokesman Lucien Greaves explained:

“We think the responsible thing to do is to ensure that these students are given access to a variety of differing religious opinions, as opposed to standing idly by while one religious voice dominates the discourse and delivers propaganda to youth.”

“I am quite certain that all of the children in these Florida schools are already aware of the Christian religion and its Bible, and this might be the first exposure these children have to the actual practice of Satanism. We think many students will be very curious to see what we offer.”

What do you think? Should a Satanic organization be allowed to distribute its pamphlets to public schoolchildren?

Read more at http://www.westernjournalism.com/satanic-temple-announces-will-distribute-materials-florida-schools/#euYjSdGVQWdYqpPM.99

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Satanic Temple Announces It Will Distribute Materials In Florida Schools
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 04:07:13 pm »
What do you think? Should a Satanic organization be allowed to distribute its pamphlets to public schoolchildren?

One of the down sides of the First Amendment. Everyone has freedom of speech, not just those who say things we approve of.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 04:13:42 pm »
One of the down sides of the First Amendment. Everyone has freedom of speech, not just those who say things we approve of.

That's very true, it's not a one-way street.  If Christians want to be able to outreach students, then others can too.  This gives parents a good opportunity to teach their children about the world's religions.  Besides, I'm sure there aren't any students that haven't heard of Satanism - and those who would be interested are already getting into it on their own.  This may take some of the taboo out of talking about it and put it on the same level as other religions - in other words - boring and not rebellious anymore.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 04:41:20 pm »

Um, no.  The First Amendment applies to the Feds only.  States used to have official church denominations, all within the terms of the First Amendment.

Courts have perverted the First Amendment into what EC believes, but the First Amendment (or the Constitution) was never intended to mandate behavior that citizens don't want in their communities.

We have got to stop accepting perversion because 'the Constitution' allegedly mandates it's acceptance.  It does not...

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 04:41:47 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 05:31:52 pm »
Courts have perverted the First Amendment into what EC believes, but the First Amendment (or the Constitution) was never intended to mandate behavior that citizens don't want in their communities.

We have got to stop accepting perversion because 'the Constitution' allegedly mandates it's acceptance.  It does not...

True - the courts have taken a broad stance on the First Amendment that was never originally intended. You live now, not in 1790. Got to either put up with it, or somehow revert back to the original intent.

And who is talking about accepting perversion? Is it perversion for someone to think and believe differently from you?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 05:41:52 pm »
Um, no.  The First Amendment applies to the Feds only.  States used to have official church denominations, all within the terms of the First Amendment.

Oh, so the Roman Catholic Church is still the "established religion" in Maryland?

Or asking another way, in what state constitutions is there a designated "established religion?"

Or conversely is there or is there not a prohibition of state designated religions in any or all state constitutions?

In a lawyerly sense, states may NOT enact laws or practices which are illegal under the federal constitution. So therefore a state may NOT establish a state religion--and they do not.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 06:00:04 pm »
True - the courts have taken a broad stance on the First Amendment that was never originally intended. You live now, not in 1790. Got to either put up with it, or somehow revert back to the original intent.

Do I really live now?  Wow, never saw that one coming.

And who is talking about accepting perversion? Is it perversion for someone to think and believe differently from you?

Accepting satanists recruiting in public schools is accepting perversion.

If you can't see that, oh well...

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:08:54 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 06:02:27 pm »
Oh, so the Roman Catholic Church is still the "established religion" in Maryland?

Or asking another way, in what state constitutions is there a designated "established religion?"

Or conversely is there or is there not a prohibition of state designated religions in any or all state constitutions?

In a lawyerly sense, states may NOT enact laws or practices which are illegal under the federal constitution. So therefore a state may NOT establish a state religion--and they do not.

Oh, a 'lawyerly sense' is your ultimate authority.

Well, there you go...

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 06:41:55 pm »
Do I really live now?  Wow, never saw that one coming.

Accepting satanists recruiting in public schools is accepting perversion.

If you can't see that, oh well...

You know, for a smart man - which you are - you are awfully narrow minded at times. Would you have a similar objection to Christians recruiting in public schools? How about Mormons? Catholics? Muslims? Buddhists?

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 06:45:26 pm »
You know, for a smart man - which you are - you are awfully narrow minded at times. Would you have a similar objection to Christians recruiting in public schools? How about Mormons? Catholics? Muslims? Buddhists?

Why do you think intelligence and broad-mindedness are synonymous?  No ultimate right or wrong, eh?

Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out...

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:49:46 pm by GourmetDan »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 07:19:58 pm »
Why do you think intelligence and broad-mindedness are synonymous?  No ultimate right or wrong, eh?

Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out...

My brains are in no danger of falling out any time soon. Don't be so close minded that your brain suffocates. One of the hallmarks of intelligence is a willingness to test your beliefs.

Look at it this way. You know Satanism is not only wrong, but a total mockery of Christianity. Your kids are going to bump up against this stuff anyway. Probably already have if they are on the Net at all. What do you know about Satanists? Actually know, from their own words, not from rumor? Like Alice said above, it's a teachable moment for your  kids. You go through the pamphlet and explain why each point is wrong. I'd rather like to read it myself.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 08:03:02 pm »
My brains are in no danger of falling out any time soon. Don't be so close minded that your brain suffocates. One of the hallmarks of intelligence is a willingness to test your beliefs.

Look at it this way. You know Satanism is not only wrong, but a total mockery of Christianity. Your kids are going to bump up against this stuff anyway. Probably already have if they are on the Net at all. What do you know about Satanists? Actually know, from their own words, not from rumor? Like Alice said above, it's a teachable moment for your  kids. You go through the pamphlet and explain why each point is wrong. I'd rather like to read it myself.

Why would you think you need to tell me that a hallmark of intelligence is for my beliefs to be tested?

Why would you think that my kids could only be taught about Satanism by allowing them to recruit at school?

rangerrebew

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 09:48:50 pm »
Satanists are a religion and according to the courts and such should not be allowed to bring "religious" materials to schools.  If, say, the Greek Orthodox Church wanted to bring materials to distribute, the police would be called and would be on school officials like stink on dookey.  Some schools have gone so far as to outlaw red and green garb at Christmas because its too close to Christianity to be allowed.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 11:17:24 pm »
One of the hallmarks of intelligence is a willingness to test your beliefs.

:thumbsup:
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 11:22:59 pm »
Not going to get in the middle of this heated debate on First Amendment then and now - but I do want to put my two cents in on what's going on here in these school. It's the ancient tactic of the enemy, and by the enemy I do mean Satan.  In the same way he used scripture to try to trick Jesus, Satan uses what we cherish against us, the Constitution.  The same tactic used by atheist each Christmas when they put up an atheist symbol next to a Christmas tree at an airport or state capitol. Why are we so shocked when it happens? We by now should recognize his tactic. After all it's as old as scripture itself.
Now what do we do about it?   Yea we could try to pass local laws banning it - but that accomplishes what? Equal justice under the law could just as easily make it illegal for Christians kids to invite friends to a youth outreach program at the church.  Or we could go back to scripture and ask "How would Jesus handle it.?",   "How did he handle it?"  We could be afraid of  Satan and he will win - or we could be smarter than Satan and he will flee.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 11:31:37 pm »
The same tactic used by atheist each Christmas when they put up an atheist symbol next to a Christmas tree at an airport or state capitol. Why are we so shocked when it happens? We by now should recognize his tactic. After all it's as old as scripture itself.

Are you attempting to associate atheists with Satan? I can't tell.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 11:42:18 pm »
Are you attempting to associate atheists with Satan? I can't tell.

That's not what I meant so let me rephrase that to "atheist activist" - that like to get in your face. Most atheist aren't out there causing issues with the local church community, and just want to be left alone.  But like in this story, there are a certain number that their activism is their religion.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 11:54:43 pm »
Not going to get in the middle of this heated debate on First Amendment then and now - but I do want to put my two cents in on what's going on here in these school. It's the ancient tactic of the enemy, and by the enemy I do mean Satan.  In the same way he used scripture to try to trick Jesus, Satan uses what we cherish against us, the Constitution.  The same tactic used by atheist each Christmas when they put up an atheist symbol next to a Christmas tree at an airport or state capitol. Why are we so shocked when it happens? We by now should recognize his tactic. After all it's as old as scripture itself.
Now what do we do about it?   Yea we could try to pass local laws banning it - but that accomplishes what? Equal justice under the law could just as easily make it illegal for Christians kids to invite friends to a youth outreach program at the church.  Or we could go back to scripture and ask "How would Jesus handle it.?",   "How did he handle it?" We could be afraid of  Satan and he will win - or we could be smarter than Satan and he will flee.

I remember something a Sunday School teacher told me a long time ago when I was just a wee kid - and it has stuck with me ever since.  She said that whenever we are feeling temptation to sin, we should say to ourselves, "Come on in Satan - Jesus is HERE." 

It works every time. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 01:46:27 am »
Gourmet Dan wrote (in response to EC)
[[ Why do you think intelligence and broad-mindedness are synonymous?  No ultimate right or wrong, eh?
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out... ]]

You tell him, Dan!

EC, here's a lesson in "broad-mindedness" for you, courtesy of Ira Louvin:

That word broadminded is spelled s-i-n
I read in my Bible, they shall not enter in.
For Jesus will answer, Depart, I never knew you

Some people say they gamble now and then for pleasure
And drink a little whiskey just to please a friend
They say it's really nothing, you've got to be broadminded
That word in my Bible is spelled "s-i-n".

That broadminded mother goes out and joins a party
There's nothing wrong in drinking and dancing with a friend
And then on Sunday morning, she'll say she loves her savior
She should be begging God to forgive her of her sin.