Author Topic: NASA awards space taxi contract to Boeing and SpaceX  (Read 924 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
NASA awards space taxi contract to Boeing and SpaceX
« on: September 16, 2014, 10:05:09 pm »
NASA has awarded the highly-anticipated space taxi contract to Boeing and SpaceX,  a move which will end the agency’s reliance on Russian technology to transport U.S. astronauts to the International Space Station.

The Commercial Crew Transportation Capability contract aims to restore an American capability to launch astronauts from U.S. soil to the International Space Station by the end of 2017. Since the end of the Space Shuttle program in 2011, American astronauts have been transported to space on Russian-built Soyuz vessels.

"We know that going to space is hard," said Kathy Lueders, NASA's Commercial Crew program manager, during a press conference at Kennedy Space Center. "NASA and aerospace industry have accomplished hard things in the past."

In addition to SpaceX and Boeing, Sierra Nevada and Blue Origin were all in the running for the $6.8 billion contract.

During the press conference, Lueders explained that NASA's deals with Boeing and SpaceX are worth $4.2 billion and $2.6 billion, respectively. "There's a maximum of 6 missions under that contract value," she added.

Boeing’s CST-100 spacecraft, which recently completed its critical design review of integrated systems, was at the core of the company’s bid. SpaceX's Dragon craft led its bid.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/09/16/nasa-awards-space-taxi-contract/

Makes sense. SpaceX has a tried and tested design. Boeing has the high precision fabrication capacity.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline xfreeper

Re: NASA awards space taxi contract to Boeing and SpaceX
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 11:14:00 pm »
So which craft design won?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 11:39:38 pm »
Far as I can see, they're pooling the best aspects of both designs, and Boeing will handle most of the actual production. It's a bit quiet so far - though I don't hit many aviation sites.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 11:46:53 pm »
The thing is, we do not have a man rated rocket right now.

Ares I would have been (since it was basically an uprated space shuttle booster) but Obama killed it and Area V as well.  The Space Launch System won't be ready for years (if ever) so they're going to have to get either the Atlas V, Delta IV Heavy, or Falcon 9 to man rated status before humans can fly on it.

Too bad we didn't keep the Saturn IB (and proposed advanced versions) in production as it was cheap, easy to build, extremely reliable, and already man rated.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 01:27:46 am »
I guess we'll have to wait for more info. I can't see much commonality between the two design appraoches, particularly on the re entry philosophy.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 01:33:07 am »

The Boeing public website has a video on the CST-100. Happy to see my company working on something 10 years  overdue. If I would have told somebody back in the 1980s that in the second decade of the 21st century the U.S. would depend on Russia to get us into orbit, they would have called me a damn liar. Yet here we are.

http://www.boeing.com/boeing/Features/2014/09/bds_cst100_09_16_14.page

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn