Author Topic: Mike Huckabee gears up for 2016 run By Byron York |  (Read 1058 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Mike Huckabee gears up for 2016 run By Byron York |
« on: September 16, 2014, 02:07:43 pm »
http://washingtonexaminer.com/mike-huckabee-gears-up-for-2016-run/article/2553425

Mike Huckabee gears up for 2016 run
By Byron York | September 15, 2014 | 7:58 pm

Mike Huckabee is leading the Republican presidential race in Iowa. And not by just a point or two: in a new CNN survey, the former Arkansas governor, winner of the 2008 Iowa caucuses, is at 21 percent, with his closest GOP pursuer, Rep. Paul Ryan, nine points behind. Rand Paul is 14 points back, Chris Christie and Jeb Bush 15 behind.

Few frontrunners choose not to run. And when Huckabee, not yet a candidate and officially undecided, invited a group of reporters to meet with him at a hotel outside Washington Monday, he certainly looked like a man preparing to jump into the race.

One obvious sign is that Huckabee is talking about world affairs. Back in 2007, when he first ran for the GOP nomination, he became frustrated when debates focused on the war in Iraq. "Do you realize that in four debates we never had a single question on education?" he once complained.

On Monday, though, Huckabee opened his discussion with foreign policy. He has just returned from a trip to Israel — his third this year. Huckabee, who is perhaps the walking personification of American evangelical support for Israel, says he has lost count of the times he has been there since his first visit in 1973. What he is sure of is that President Obama has taken the wrong approach to Israel's latest conflict.

There's a "disconnect" in U.S. Mideast policy, Huckabee argued, because the president is unable to tell good guys from bad guys. "For the State Department to continue to act as if there is some moral equivalency between Hamas and Israel, and to join with the chorus of boo birds from the U.N. to question the manner in which Israel has tried to defend itself, is utterly remarkable."

Huckabee went on to criticize Obama's handling of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, charging that the president recognized the threat too late and was wrong to take the option of U.S. combat troops off the table. "Never publicly announce what you're not going to do," Huckabee said.

Huckabee volunteered thoughts on Iran, Egypt, and other topics. The conversation wasn't a tour d'horizon of foreign policy, but it was clear Huckabee has been studying up — for a former governor steeped in domestic policy, often a sign of an impending run. Huckabee said he regularly consults an informal circle of foreign policy advisers, "a host of people, both in the military as well as the intelligence community."

Huckabee is quick to recite a long and varied resume — Baptist preacher ("like an extended graduate school of humanity"), lieutenant governor and then governor of Arkansas for nearly 11 years. He has experience in a broad range of domestic issues, has run for president, and recently, with a program on Fox News and a syndicated radio show, "for the last few years I've been talking about a lot of stuff."

In 2008, Huckabee became famous for his dislike of fundraising — an odd position for a candidate who had no money. Now, the job is easier. "Eight years ago, I'd try to talk to a potential donor, and they'd either say, no, who are you, how do you spell your name, let me get back to you — and they never did," said Huckabee. "Now, people call me and they want to meet with me, talk to me — it's a very different circumstance."

Huckabee has started a new organization, America Takes Action, and he's calling around for money. He said it's going well — "we very quickly are into seven figures" — with a good response from big donors. Huckabee also runs HuckPAC, which he uses to contribute to Republican candidates.

Perhaps a bigger question involves Huckabee's own money. He never had much; the governor of Arkansas's salary is perpetually near the bottom of the gubernatorial pay scale. When he ran for president in 2008, Huckabee recalled, "My wife and I cashed in life insurance, mortgaged the house, depleted our savings. It was tough."

Now, with a successful media career, Huckabee has built a $3 million beach house in Florida. For the first time, he is comfortable. But he'd have to give up his role at Fox, and the radio show, to run for president. Is he ready to do that?

"If I have to, you do," Huckabee said. "That's part of the consideration."

Not everyone believes Huckabee is running. Skeptics point out that appearing to run for president isn't a bad way to drive up speaking fees. Some doubt Huckabee will give up his media paychecks.

Whatever the case, Huckabee said he will make up his mind whether to run by around April of next year. A very nice time for a trip to Des Moines.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: Mike Huckabee gears up for 2016 run By Byron York |
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 02:10:59 pm »
Mike Huckabee gears up for 2016 run attempt to leverage the religious right wacko vote into a little something for himself.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 02:20:13 pm »
Back in 2007, when he first ran for the GOP nomination, he became frustrated when debates focused on the war in Iraq. "Do you realize that in four debates we never had a single question on education?" he once complained.

That's because the GOP deliberately lets the Demonrats control the debate process even among GOP primary candidates.  The end result is that the GOP always ends up responding to those issues the Demonrats want them to address and in the manner the Demonrats want them to address them.

The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Millee

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 02:20:58 pm »
Guess I better get used to President Hillary in 2016.  :#@$%:

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 07:24:51 pm »
Mike Huckabee gears up for 2016 run attempt to leverage the religious right wacko vote into a little something for himself.
They must make a huge amount of cash running  for office don't they? 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 08:17:00 pm »
It worked for Pat Buchanan, Sarah Palin, Rick Santorum, so why not the Huckster? He can speak as well as any, plays the guitar too.

It is called "career enhancement." Turning 15 minutes into 15 years. Just ask Pat Buchanan. Can you say Dr. Ben Carson?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 10:49:59 pm »

He'll be successful.   :#@$%:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 02:24:46 am »
From the article:
[[ Few frontrunners choose not to run. And when Huckabee, not yet a candidate and officially undecided, invited a group of reporters to meet with him at a hotel outside Washington Monday, he certainly looked like a man preparing to jump into the race. ]]

The way things seem to be going for the Pubbie party, might as well let Huckabee run and get it over with.

Chances are that 2016 may be unwinnable for the Republicans, anyway. Particularly if their effort (if you can call it that) to win the Senate in November falls on its face.

Anyone reading this message -- who would you proffer as a credible candidate against "the first woman president"??

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 05:25:06 am »
But where are the clowns?

There ought to be clowns.

Don't bother, they're here.

Don't you you all just love voter fleecing season?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 05:25:57 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

SPQR

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 06:56:50 am »
If the Republican field is full of lightweights you might see the return of Mitt Romney. He may take that experience and the current unpopularity with Obama to good use. He would try to compare Hillary with Obama. But he needs to be a little more aggressive because he will be dealing with Hillary.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:59:27 am by Trigger »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 11:02:26 am »
If the Republican field is full of lightweights you might see the return of Mitt Romney. He may take that experience and the current unpopularity with Obama to good use. He would try to compare Hillary with Obama. But he needs to be a little more aggressive because he will be dealing with Hillary.

And therein lays the entire rational behind the War on Women strategy.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 11:09:03 am »
He is NOT a viable candidate in any way...shape (literally)...or form.

Furthermore, his show is a total waste of airtime and space.

For chrissakes...it's on what seems all freaking day and night on the weekend.

He may be a good man, but he's a joke as a public figure and/or candidate.  GO AWAY!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 12:09:10 pm »
From the article:
[[ Few frontrunners choose not to run. And when Huckabee, not yet a candidate and officially undecided, invited a group of reporters to meet with him at a hotel outside Washington Monday, he certainly looked like a man preparing to jump into the race. ]]

The way things seem to be going for the Pubbie party, might as well let Huckabee run and get it over with.

Chances are that 2016 may be unwinnable for the Republicans, anyway. Particularly if their effort (if you can call it that) to win the Senate in November falls on its face.

Anyone reading this message -- who would you proffer as a credible candidate against "the first woman president"??

Actually I think that the Repubs have a better chance in '16 if they lose the Senate.

The left is going to actually mount a campaign against Hillary.  They think she's a right wing war hawk.

But if she makes it through the gauntlet, I think Romney has a good shot against her.  If Pocahontas gets in, don't know at this point.  But many on here believe that if Romney is nominated, say hello to president Hillary; On the left, many if not most believe that if Hillary is nominated, say hello to president Romney.  Go figure.  :shrug:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline olde north church

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 12:30:28 pm »
Guess I better get used to President Hillary in 2016.  :#@$%:

Nope.  Warren.  Hillary without canckles.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 02:11:40 pm »
He is NOT a viable candidate in any way...shape (literally)...or form.

Furthermore, his show is a total waste of airtime and space.

For chrissakes...it's on what seems all freaking day and night on the weekend.

He may be a good man, but he's a joke as a public figure and/or candidate.  GO AWAY!

He's an irrelevant has-been bass player hosting a mediocre TV show.

Randy Jackson without the Jheri curls.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 02:17:40 pm »
He's an irrelevant has-been bass player hosting a mediocre TV show.

Randy Jackson without the Jheri curls.

:beer:   LOL!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 02:27:51 pm »
Okay, I'm going to weigh in here.  I have done some fortune-telling in my past (really - it's pretty good money) - so I'm going to let everyone in on my bold prediction.  Just remember, you heard it here first.

Remember Hannity's "Stop Hillary Express"?  She was going to be the clear-cut winner then - remember?  It's going to be the same way this time too.  She will NOT be their candidate!  I'm telling you!  She's yesterday's dingy mildewed washcloth.  The same with Warren - she looks like someone's grandma you would see on the front of a box of chocolate chip cookie mix!

Besides - the Democrat candidate will NOT be a woman this next time around!  I know, you think - you're crazy Alice - we've had the first black president - it the first woman president's turn!  Nope.

They've already got the woman vote.  The GOP will not be getting the Women's Studies feminist college professors or students votes.  They will not be getting the single woman's vote.  Never.  The Democrat party has them locked up and knows it.  The only reason they needed a first black president (cause they had their votes locked in already too) was to have a president that could complete the progressive's plan for our nation - and be fully protected by any criticism (as a woman, I can tell you that we are not in the same protected class as racial victims).

And it has worked like a charm!  No one, especially the GOP - wants to be called a racist.  (I don't think the progressives realize yet at this point that THEY actually were played - by the Muslim Brotherhood.) This guy that calls himself Barack Hussein Obama - has been groomed - to carry out the plans for an Islamic Caliphate.  But that is another issue.

Anyway - my bold prediction is that their 2016 nominee will look like it's going to be a woman - but in the end, it will be a man - the women are locked in no matter who is nominated because we will probably be running a man too.  I'm still sticking with my pick of Julian Castro - the candidate that will come out of nowhere like Carter, Clinton and Obama.

One last thing - MAC, I agree with you.  Our chances in 2016 will be much better if the GOP does NOT win the Senate this Fall.  Everything is going to plummet now - we will not believe what we're going to look like in two years.  The Democrats would like to be able to use the GOP Senate as their scapegoat - to be able to blame all the bad on them.  I think it will doom us for the big race if we win this fall.  As bad as the consequences will be - it is our only hope to regain the reigns of control and start the long process of repair. 

Depressing, yes.  But our fate is already sealed.  My personal hope is that by losing this fall - people will wake up and a new party will emerge.  The GOP brand is already damaged beyond repair now, if they won't fight for themselves - why would anyone else?

That's the bold prediction of Fortune Tellin' Helen (that used to be my moniker).  We'll see how good I am.

:th_10444: 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 02:38:33 pm »
One last thing - MAC, I agree with you.  Our chances in 2016 will be much better if the GOP does NOT win the Senate this Fall.

That's a good point.

That's the bold prediction of Fortune Tellin' Helen (that used to be my moniker).  We'll see how good I am.

You can be sure we'll remember and hold you to it...    :silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 03:03:20 pm »
That's a good point.

You can be sure we'll remember and hold you to it...    :silly:

:chairbang:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!