Author Topic: Syrian rebel group names new leaders after explosion kills nearly a dozen leading members  (Read 414 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

BEIRUT –  An ultraconservative Syrian rebel group says it has named new leaders, a day after an explosion killed nearly a dozen of its top members.

A spokesman for Ahrar al-Sham said Wednesday in a video statement posted online that Hashem al-Sheik Abu Jaber would assumed overall leadership of the group, while Abu Saleh Tahan would fill the role of military chief.

The two take charge of a once-powerful group decimated by the deaths of nearly all its leading members, including longtime chief Hassan Aboud, in an explosion that struck a high-level meeting late Tuesday in northwestern Syria .

It was not immediately clear who was behind the blast, and there even were conflicting reports on the nature of the explosion. Ahrar al-Sham said the men were killed in a car bombing.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/09/10/syrian-rebel-group-names-new-leaders-after-explosion-kills-nearly-dozen-leading/

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
And here is what we are fighting, in a nutshell. It's a hydra. Cut off the head and two new ones grow. The explosion / assassination happened yesterday evening. This afternoon, a new command structure is in place and they'll carry on as normal. Maybe slightly less effectively, but I'd not count on it.

There is only three ways to kill a hydra.

Choke it to death - cut off it's funding and supply routes.
Start at the tail and work up - target the low level grunts first.
Poison it before it breeds - a legitimate use of the phrase "hearts and minds."

Ahrar al-Sham is not the force it once was, but the same techniques apply to ISIL and AQ.

Offline evadR

Since it was done with such professionalism, my bet is on the Mossad.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Since it was done with such professionalism, my bet is on the Mossad.

I don't know - it's a long way. Plus they'd have planted a bit of evidence against a rival faction to stir the pot. I'd guess the Bordo Bereliler (Turkish SpecOps) as a more likely outside candidate. Closer, easier to nip across and seal the deal.

Most likely though is whoever wants that particular region and has slowly been wiping out Ahrar al-Sham.