Author Topic: Report: NFL Asked Teams to Sign Michael Sam to Avoid 'Nightmare Situation'  (Read 819 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2741521/It-s-great-heading-home-NFL-s-openly-gay-player-Michael-Sam-set-join-Dallas-Cowboys-just-days-sensationally-dropped-St-Louis-Rams.html

Sam traveled to Dallas on Tuesday evening and will join up with the Cowboys' practice squad on Wednesday
    The dream move to his home state comes just days after he was sensationally dropped by the St Louis Rams ahead of the football season
    Despite an impressive pre-season, Sam’s name wasn't on the roster when the Missouri team announced its final pick for the 2014 season
    His shock departure sparked claims the gay star was dropped due to the unwanted attention surrounding his sexuality
    'None of that matters. I just want to play football, it's great to be heading back to my home state,' he told MailOnline

Offline GourmetDan

Jerry Jones always was a publicity-hound.

He doesn't care whether it is good or bad, just so people are talking about him and his team...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online Lando Lincoln

I just wish everyone would take a "Who Cares?" attitude.  But there are a good many who are more concerned about this than the latest beheading.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline GourmetDan

I just wish everyone would take a "Who Cares?" attitude.  But there are a good many who are more concerned about this than the latest beheading.

I will probably avoid Cowboy games just so I don't have to hear how wonderful homosexual football players are...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
I am tho exthited about the Cowboyth getting Michael Tham and I can't wait to thee him in thothe tight silver panths.  :thud:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 05:10:44 pm by massadvj »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Taking the other side of the field on this.... There is always the philosophy of: Always sign the guy who has something to prove.

Sam was defensive player of the year last year. He did great in preseason with 3 sacks (no pun). He had a bad practice with the Rams but on the field he is fast and good.

The Cowboys' defense, however, sucks. They need speed. They need sacks.

Let's see how he does.

I don't believe in dismissing anyone simply because of XX label any more than I believe in promoting someone based on XX label. Let his individual achievement judge him.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
It's official: Michael Sam is a Dallas Cowboy
Cyd Zeigler
SB Nation via Yahoo
September 3, 2014

Michael Sam signed with the Dallas Cowboys today after passing his physical exam with the team, according to various reports. He will be placed on the team's practice squad.

Sam grew up in Galveston, Texas, about four hours south of Dallas. Sam's estranged father lives in the Dallas area.
More

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Report: NFL Asked Teams to Sign Michael Sam to Avoid 'Nightmare Situation'
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 12:33:08 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2014/09/04/Report-NFL-Asked-Teams-to-Sign-Michael-Sam-to-Practice-Squad-to-Avoid-Nightmare-Situation

by Breitbart News 4 Sep 2014

The NFL was reportedly scared of the mainstream media blowback that it would receive if Michael Sam, the league's first openly gay player, did not make a team.

When the Rams cut Michael Sam last weekend, the NFL reportedly called teams to inquire if they had "evaluated Sam as a possible practice squad player," according to a report from MMQB's Peter King.

Before Thursday night's NFL season opener between Seattle and Green Bay, King reported that Sam and the NFL eventually avoided a "nightmare situation" when Jerry Jones and the Cowboys ultimately signed him to the practice squad.

Sam, a prototypical tweener who is not big enough to be on the defensive line and not fast enough to play linebacker, would have found it difficult to make any team's 53-man roster.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Report: NFL Asked Teams to Sign Michael Sam to Avoid 'Nightmare Situation'
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 03:13:08 am »
Sam, a prototypical tweener who is not big enough to be on the defensive line and not fast enough to play linebacker, would have found it difficult to make any team's 53-man roster.

He's a decent sized guy. Not the usual tank size you lot breed (seriously, how the heck do you manage to grow such massive young men? Went into a barracks room once and I felt like I was walking in the middle of New York. Totally dwarfed), but he's up there. Wonder if he's thought of going for rugby instead. He's shown by getting that far into the main league that he can take a hit and keep on going. He'd be way too slow for our football though.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

rangerrebew

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 09:40:05 pm »
Sam is no different than any number of big name college players who have been total busts in the NFL when everyone is at least as big as you, fast as you, and meaner than you.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 10:12:08 am »
Update: Looks like the "nightmare scenario" is back in play. Sam got bumped again.
As soon as I heard he'd been cut, I had to wonder whether pressure would be applied to the other NFL teams to sign him. This social experiment must not fail!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org