Author Topic: CDC Director: Ebola Outbreak ‘Is Spiraling Out Of Control’  (Read 332 times)

Offline Relic

CDC Director: Ebola Outbreak ‘Is Spiraling Out Of Control’
« on: September 03, 2014, 12:15:24 am »
ATLANTA (CBS Atlanta/AP) — The director for the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention says that the Ebola outbreak is going to get worse.

Speaking to “CBS This Morning” following his trip to the West African countries dealing with the outbreak, Dr. Tom Frieden explained that they have to act now to try to get Ebola under control.

“It is the world’s first Ebola epidemic and it is spiraling out of control. It’s bad now and it’s going to get worse in the very near future,” Frieden told CBS News. “There is still a window of opportunity to tamp it down, but that window is closing. We really have to act now.”

Frieden, who visited Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea, will tell Washington tomorrow that the Ebola outbreak is “spiraling upward.” The CDC director explained that these countries still need help to deal with the deadly outbreak.

“We need to support countries with resources, with technical experts and with cooperation. Too many places are sealing off these countries,” Frieden told CBS News. “If we do that, paradoxically, it’s going to reduce safety everywhere else. Whether we like it or not, we’re all connected and it’s in our interest to help them tamp this down and control it.”

Frieden said that they cannot wait for vaccines to deal with the disease.

“Vaccines and treatments may come along, but right now what we have are tried and true methods that we have to scale up. They have worked in prior outbreaks but we are not getting to scale,” Frieden told “CBS This Morning.” “The epidemic is going faster than we are. We need to scale up our response. We can hope for new tools and maybe they’ll come, but we can’t count on them.”

During a CDC briefing Monday afternoon, Frieden reiterated his comments to CBS News and said that the outbreak is “now increasing rapidly.”

“This is not just a problem for West Africa, not just a problem for Africa, it’s a problem for the world and the world needs to respond,” Frieden said.

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2014/09/02/cdc-director-ebola-outbreak-is-spiraling-out-of-control/

Offline Relic

Re: CDC Director: Ebola Outbreak ‘Is Spiraling Out Of Control’
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 12:17:00 am »
It seems to me a user here chided me, questioned my ability to read and reason when I expressed concern about bringing ebola to the United States. I'll have to conclude that the same user will gladly comment that the CDC director is also uneducated and doesn't read enough.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 02:36:56 am »
Re Relic's post above:

I seem to remember that as well.

Wonder if he'll post in this thread ??

Offline Relic

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 04:19:20 pm »
Re Relic's post above:

I seem to remember that as well.