Author Topic: Veterans group hits McConnell in new ad  (Read 672 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Veterans group hits McConnell in new ad
« on: September 02, 2014, 04:41:52 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/216386-vet-group-hits-mcconnell-in-new-ad

Veterans group hits McConnell in new ad

By Martin Matishak - 09/02/14 11:49 AM EDT

VoteVets Action Fund is out with a new ad attacking Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) for his role in blocking legislation earlier this year that would have expanded medical benefits and education programs for the nation’s veterans.

The 30-second spot features Vietnam veteran Charles Erwin from Mayfield, Ky., who suffers from multiple ailments due to exposure to Agent Orange, walking toward the camera.

His cane clicks with each step he takes, prompting text to text pop up beside him: “He was exposed to Agent Orange in Vietnam. Now… Diabetes.  A stroke.  Heart disease. Cancer. He depends on a veterans hospital for care. In a time of crisis: Mitch McConnell blocked $21 billion for veterans.”

“Senator McConnell...I did my duty. But after thirty years in Washington...you’ve failed to do yours,” Erwin says at the end of the ad. “It’s time for you to go.”

In February, Senate Republicans successfully blocked a $21 billion measure that would have, among other things, expanded veterans' healthcare programs provided advanced appropriations for the Veterans Affairs Department.

The GOP raised concerns about the bill’s price tag and how it would be paid for before blocking it.

The new ad campaign launched statewide on Tuesday on broadcast and cable channels and will cost $300,000 over five days, according to VoteVets, though they are already planning on an extension of the buy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTqdMgJo-sw
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Veterans group hits McConnell in new ad
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 04:51:30 pm »
I heard the other day that a third candidate will be on the ballot this fall, along with McConnell and Lundergan-Grimes - either a Libertarian or Independent, I can't remember. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 05:04:53 pm »
I hope these old bastards enjoy the Democrats forcing them to pay for more of their medical benefits and taxing them. I guess they think that silly Grimes chick would be in a position to help them (she wouldn't be).

Between this silly ad, the sucking up of top brass to Obama, and the treatment of military dogs, my view of our military is taking a very negative turn.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 05:08:09 pm »
Two quick points.  VoteVets is fairly close to Moveon.org in terms of liberal causes.  It is a left-wing pac pushing leftwing vets to run for office.  Think George Soros and Wesley Clark.  Secondly, Republicans did block the bill because the increase wouldn't be paid for and it was expanding the VA to covering non-service connected issues.  It was an end run around Obamacare.

This ad is simply an attempt to drive vets away from voting Republican because McConnell is in a tight race.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 05:28:39 pm »
Two quick points.  VoteVets is fairly close to Moveon.org in terms of liberal causes.  It is a left-wing pac pushing leftwing vets to run for office.  Think George Soros and Wesley Clark.  Secondly, Republicans did block the bill because the increase wouldn't be paid for and it was expanding the VA to covering non-service connected issues.  It was an end run around Obamacare.

This ad is simply an attempt to drive vets away from voting Republican because McConnell is in a tight race.

Thanks for the insight MAC.  I wonder how McConnell plans to counter.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 05:49:22 pm »
Thanks for the insight MAC.  I wonder how McConnell plans to counter.

Unfortunately it does put him on the defensive, but he has to respond.  Well over 300 thousand vets in Kentucky including a quarter million having served during wartime.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 08:13:55 pm »
that would have expanded medical benefits and education programs for the nation’s veterans.
In other words, the bill would have spent yet more money on two items that are already among the government's biggest expenditures.

Yet like Pavlov's dogs, the voters fall for this crap and wonder why the deficit is so huge.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 02:48:12 am »
I've made this prediction before and I'll make it again:

In an election year when the Republicans stand a good chance of winning most of their contests and re-taking the Senate, one of their few losses will be McConnell of Kentucky...

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 02:56:39 am »
I'll bet some coin on that. McConnell has been ahead in every poll since June. And she only wants one debate (which means she's afraid). 

McConnell has been down before and has always come back.  He'll come back again.  Grimes is not very smart.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.