Author Topic: How a white baby can be born to a black mother - the statistics of skin colour  (Read 953 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/how-white-baby-can-born-4145688

How a white baby can be born to a black mother - the statistics of skin colour
Sep 01, 2014 17:52 By Sophie Warnes

This week, new parents Catherine and Richard were shocked to find their baby boy has totally Caucasian skin, and not a darker tone as expected. It was a one in a million chance - but here's how it happens.

Catherine Howarth with baby Jonah and husband Richard

Catherine and Richard Howarth were convinced they'd been given the wrong child by mistake - their newborn baby boy was white and not dark-skinned as they'd expected. It's an unusual story - but it's not the first time that it's happened. How does this sort of thing occur and why?

His mother probably had a white ancestor

The baby's father Richard is white, but mum Catherine has dark skin from her Nigerian heritage. Genes from one of her ancestors may have lain dormant for generations - until randomly thrown together in the new baby, they brought out traits that had been latent for so long. This is what's known as a genetic/evolutionary throwback, or atavism.

A one in a million chance

Melanin is the pigmentation in skin that determines a person's skin colour. Groups of people whose ancestors lived closer to the equator - where there's more UV radiation - tend to have darker skin.

But the combinations of genes thrown up everytime a baby is born means that mixed-race child can be anywhere on a spectrum between its two parents.

The genes that control the amount of melanin in someone's skin operate under "incomplete dominance" which means no specific trait over-rules the others. All of the variant gene traits are completely expressed, and visually this will mean a mixed-race child's skintone will be a visual mix of its parents.

This chart shows how that works with two parents with three white-skin alleles (gene traits), and three black-skin alleles. The use of six gene traits is just an example to show how the mixing can produce many different combinations.

[/img]

You can see that the chance of a baby with Caucasian skin tone is 1/64 for parents with three dark-skin alleles each. However, the chances would be far lower for this to happen in Catherine's case, as the recessive gene could be just one in 20 alleles - in fact, the chances of this happening were calculated at roughly one in a million!

But those one in a million chances happen. It's the nature of statistics that statistically unlikely events still happen every so often. So it may be surprising, but it's not out of the normal.

The chart also shows that few people are 100% white-skinned or 100% dark-skinned. The vast majority of people fall on the spectrum in between. But though geneticists understand skin colour that way - it's not how society views skin colour. Socially we tend to put people in much simpler categories: black or white or brown. That means we find it hard to understand natural genetic variation. Throughout history it has been used to justify wars and inequality.

Born to racist parents in South Africa

The story of a baby coming out a surprising colour isn't the first of its kind - there have been many examples of children being born a different colour to their parents.

One of the saddest - and most famous - stories is that of Sandra Laing. Sandra is a black-skinned woman who was born to white parents in apartheid South Africa and forced to leave home at the age of ten.

People have also had children who have differently-coloured skin to their siblings. In 2005, Kylee Hodgson and Remi Horder had twin girls - one black and one white.           

If you're really fascinated by learning about genetic variations in skin colour, we recommend this really great Wikipedia article which goes into a lot of depth on the subject.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Every now and then you hear the story of white parents having a black baby, and the mother is instantly accused of adultery.  Only when a DNA test is done done it show her husband is the father.

Funny how DNA sometimes combines to produce an strange result.

And just think, if Obama's black 1/4 hadn't been dominate, he'd probably be asking customers if they want fires with their lunch.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
My grandfather on my mother's side was Black. Actually he was half Black and half American Indian. My father is full blood Scott/Irish.

Does anyone even need to ask why I drink and fight too much?

These days, with the Liberals running American zeitgeist, race has become more of a political thing than it is a genetic issue.

Liberals have an obsessive need to classify and categorize people by skin color. They can't help it. It is their heritage.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 06:56:17 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Genes are odd things.

One of my grand daughters, you would straight up swear she is Irish. Green eyed red head. Pale as a ghost, tons of freckles. Her mother is from Goa (and is, to this father's eyes, stunningly beautiful, she's got a smile like the sun coming out), her father is Maori. Just one of those glitches in the system that happen from time to time.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

And just think, if Obama's black 1/4 hadn't been dominate, he'd probably be asking customers if they want fires with their lunch.
:thumbsup:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

...OR...be asking me for a quarter in the park.   :nometalk:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

Here's the chart from the original: