Author Topic: Obama: Media makes you think ‘world is falling apart’  (Read 695 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama: Media makes you think ‘world is falling apart’
« on: August 29, 2014, 10:32:42 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/216281-media-makes-you-think-world-is-falling-apart

Obama: Media makes you think ‘world is falling apart’

By Justin Sink - 08/29/14 06:02 PM EDT

President Obama on Friday said social media and the nightly news are partly to blame for the sense that “the world is falling apart.”

"I can see why a lot of folks are troubled," Obama told a group of donors gathered at a Democratic National Committee barbecue in Purchase, N.Y.

But the president said that current foreign policy crises across the world are not comparable to the challenges the U.S. faced during the Cold War.

Acknowledging "the barbarity" of Islamist militants and Russia "reasserting the notion that might means right," Obama, though, dismissed the notion that he was facing unprecedented challenges.

“The world’s always been messy ... we’re just noticing now in part because of social media,” he said, according to a White House pool report.

“If you watch the nightly news, it feels like the world is falling apart,” said Obama.

The president acknowledged that conflicts in the Middle East posed difficulties, “but it’s been challenging for quite a while,” he said.

“We will get through these challenging times just like we have in the past,” Obama added.

The president, looking to strike a reassuring tone, argued that American military superiority has never been greater and that the U.S. still held advantages over potential international rivals like China.

The event, held at the home of Robert Wolf, an occasional Obama golf partner and former president of UBS Investment Bank, was the second of three fundraisers the president was slated to attend on Friday. Tickets to the event began at $15,000 per couple, and around 250 supporters were in attendance.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Obama: Media makes you think ‘world is falling apart’
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 11:05:43 pm »
Didn't his own Sec of Defense recently say, "The world is exploding...."?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 12:08:10 am »
All aboard the fear train. Choo choo...
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 01:10:14 am »
The left has a certain type of denial that is intentionally manipulative of soft minds. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 01:22:41 am »
The left has a certain type of denial that is intentionally manipulative of soft minds.

It's beyond that. I'm convinced Obama intentionally says lots of conflicting things.
It provides lots of material for both sides so that it becomes so confusing, the soft minds, (most Americans), just tune out.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 01:45:51 am »
Basically he is scolding the media for exposing his own weakness.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 01:47:41 am »
All aboard the fear train. Choo choo...

I don't agree with Obama on much, but he's right about this. You won't see many stories about a guy crossing the street safe. But if he's hit by a car or a tree falls on him, that's news. If it bleeds, it leads.

The Internet changed how I get news. With so much news online, I come here for the facts, try to get the 5W's of a news item or event. I like hearing different views, but I won't listen to the constant barrage of chattering arguments on TV or radio like I used to back in the Clinton days. Those are what agitate me today. I'll draw my own conclusions about a story.

Seeing bad news constantly it's hard for me anymore to have a nice day. So now I'm selective with my news (I could not watch the Foley execution). I'll learn what I need to know about a story without immersing myself in the constant debate and repetition or the horror of the current event.

What a my doing at TBR? I come here for the people, and a little bit of selective news consumption.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 01:08:26 pm »
I don't agree with Obama on much, but he's right about this. You won't see many stories about a guy crossing the street safe. But if he's hit by a car or a tree falls on him, that's news. If it bleeds, it leads.

The Internet changed how I get news. With so much news online, I come here for the facts, try to get the 5W's of a news item or event. I like hearing different views, but I won't listen to the constant barrage of chattering arguments on TV or radio like I used to back in the Clinton days. Those are what agitate me today. I'll draw my own conclusions about a story.

Seeing bad news constantly it's hard for me anymore to have a nice day. So now I'm selective with my news (I could not watch the Foley execution). I'll learn what I need to know about a story without immersing myself in the constant debate and repetition or the horror of the current event.

What a my doing at TBR? I come here for the people, and a little bit of selective news consumption.

I am right with you aligncare on how the news cycle makes you/me feel.  I see the world's brush fires coalescing into one massive conflagration while we lose more and more liberties each day.   And with every passing moment, the productive class is expected to carry heavier and heavier burdens.

However, I don't believe Obama was remarking about how the sensational will always take the lede on the news - simply because it is sensational.  Rather, he is trying to suggest that the world's status quo has not changed and that the media, especially social media, is being deceptive.  He is, of course, trying to control the narrative and the soft minds of the ill-informed.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 01:21:19 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 01:52:28 pm »
I am right with you aligncare on how the news cycle makes you/me feel.  I see the world's brush fires coalescing into one massive conflagration while we lose more and more liberties each day.   And with every passing moment, the productive class is expected to carry heavier and heavier burdens.

However, I don't believe Obama was remarking about how the sensational will always take the lede on the news - simply because it is sensational.  Rather, he is trying to suggest that the world's status quo has not changed and that the media, especially social media, is being deceptive.  He is, of course, trying to control the narrative and the soft minds of the ill-informed.

Yes, you are certainly correct about Obama's intent. Just more of his misdirection. Amazing how he can play the Washington press corps like a violin, even though the tune is getting old.

However, we are starting to see cracks forming in Obama's support among Democrats even in academe, as with Jonathan Turley's recitation before congressional committee on Obama's constitutional abuses. And there are others.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 01:54:23 pm »
"Obama: Media makes you think ‘world is falling apart’"

Translation:  "Let's be clear, the media folks aren't covering my back like they's s'posed to - yeah, yeah - there's a little kerfluffle goin' on in the Caliphate....er...Middle East, but we're not gettin' involved in that.  Can we get back to Ferguson, MO?  Please?"

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 02:38:14 pm »

Translation:  "Let's be clear, the media folks aren't covering my back like they's s'posed to - yeah, yeah - there's a little kerfluffle goin' on in the Caliphate....er...Middle East, but we're not gettin' involved in that.  Can we get back to Ferguson, MO?  Please?"

:beer:
John Steinbeck

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 03:38:28 pm »

:amen:
 :beer:
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline flowers

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 03:47:22 pm »
Wait just a minute here................................you mean to tell us it isn't Bush's fault or those evil right wing folks?

Wow!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 01:42:20 am »
Title:
[[ Obama: Media makes you think ‘world is falling apart’ ]]

No, sir.
YOU make me think it...

Isn't it getting about time for this?
(yeah, you know what I'm going to post)