Author Topic: GOP douses shutdown threats  (Read 1483 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP douses shutdown threats
« on: August 29, 2014, 01:13:26 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/216221-gop-clamps-down-on-shutdown-threats

By Scott Wong and Cristina Marcos - 08/29/14 06:00 AM EDT

Another government shutdown isn’t going to happen next month -- at least if you ask Republican leaders.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who’s facing a tough reelection challenge this fall, said turning the lights out in Washington is a “failed policy.”

“Remember me? I am the guy that gets us out of shutdowns,” he quipped to CNN.

And Speaker John Boehner and his leadership team are ruling out a repeat of last October when Texas Sen. Ted Cruz led a conservative rebellion and forced the government to close for two weeks in a bid to defund Obamacare.

That proved to be a political disaster for congressional Republicans, who this fall want to avoid a massive midterm distraction as they try to take back control of the Senate and expand their majority in the House.

“We’re not going to shoot ourselves in the foot and jeopardize our chances of winning the Senate and gaining more seats in the House,” a senior GOP aide said Thursday. The shutdown chatter from some conservatives “clearly isn’t helpful, but I’m not anticipating there will be a groundswell of similar sentiment from a large chunk of our conference.”

Funding to keep the government open runs out on Sept. 30. And conservative Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) warned this week that “all bets are off” on passing a stopgap funding bill if Obama unilaterally takes action to make it easier for millions of undocumented immigrants to remain in the U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), a prospective 2016 presidential hopeful who stood with Cruz, said he also expects Republicans will try to attach a rider to the temporary spending bill to combat Obama’s executive action.

The White House has indicated that Obama will make an announcement by the end of the summer. Immigration reform advocates have pushed Obama to turn to executive action in the absence of a comprehensive overhaul.

“In our view, the president really doesn't have a choice but to act and to do what he can within his legal authority,” said Janet Murguia, president of the National Council of La Raza.

Even some staunch conservatives say that attaching an immigration-related rider to a stopgap spending bill and potentially threatening a government shutdown would backfire.

“I would love to attach a rider to our funding bill that reverses Barack Obama's lawless actions on any number of fronts, but only if the Senate and the White House agreed to it. And they won't, so it's a futile strategy,” said Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.), a vocal opponent of comprehensive immigration reform.

Brooks said it was more important for Republicans to make sure they perform well in the November elections.

“I very much appreciate Steve King's desire to make Barack Obama obey the law. But ultimately, the only way to hold a lawless president accountable is for voters to change the Senate and ultimately change the White House,” the Alabama Republican said in an interview. “I'm going to do everything in my power to prevent a government shutdown, regardless of whether Barack Obama violates yet another law.”

Matt Salmon, another conservative Republican who hails from the border state of Arizona, said most of the shutdown and impeachment talk is coming from Obama himself “because his numbers are in the toilet.”

“I don’t believe either of those things are in the cards,” Salmon told The Hill on Thursday. “He hopes and prays one of those things happen because they are the only thing that will revive his numbers and his party’s numbers.”

Still, King and Cruz have demonstrated they can get what they want on the immigration issue. Last month, King helped engineer a revamped bill providing funds to address the surge of child migrants crossing the border that won enough support from the House GOP conference. The revised plan allotted extra funds for the National Guard and allowed a separate vote to limit the 2012 Deferred Action for Child Arrivals (DACA) program.

Before King and allies like Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) became involved, House Republicans were unable to pass a border funding bill on their own.

Bachmann, who cheered last year’s shutdown, conceded that there’s no consensus among Republicans on how to respond to Obama’s expected executive action on immigration. But she warned “nothing’s off the table at this point.”

“There will be a sharp pushback. … It is an absolute falsehood by the president to try to pretend he was forced to do this,” Bachmann said in a phone interview on Thursday.

“I would call on the president to refrain from doing this,” she added. “We don’t want to see a disruption in service to anyone. We don’t want to see a disruption in service for veterans, for seniors.”

Democrats are almost gleeful at the possibility of another shutdown showdown, talking on cable TV and blasting out press releases about how Republicans once again want to shutter the government.

“Shutdowns that cost our economy billions of dollars benefit no one,” Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) wrote in a fundraising email to supporters on Thursday. “These extreme Tea Party members would rather shut down the government than work with Democrats to get things done.”

But the renewed shutdown chatter is creating big headaches for GOP leaders, particularly McConnell, who is locked in a tight race with Democrat Alison Lundergan Grimes, Kentucky’s secretary of state.

If he becomes majority leader, McConnell recently said he would push to attach riders on spending bills to curb Obama’s policies on health care, environment and other matters, which Democrats seized on as evidence a GOP Senate would create another standoff. But pressed whether he supported shutting down the government either this year or in the new Congress, McConnell replied: “Of course not.”

“I’m the guy that’s gotten us out of shutdowns that some of our members have pushed us into in the past. That’s a failed policy,” hetold CNN’s Dana Bash. “It does not mean you should send the president a total blank check with no restrictions at all on how the money is spent.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: GOP douses shutdown threats
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 01:50:54 am »
"GOP douses shutdown threats".

"GOP douses impeachment threats".

"GOP douses any attempts at opposition".

"GOP douses itself out of existence...."

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 02:03:23 am »

Don't be silly. Shutting down the government in October is EXACTLY what Obama wants. The fact that the GOP is not going to is forcing him to postpone his massive amnesty.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 02:32:57 am »

Right cause the shutdown work so well the last time...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 02:48:04 am »
The GOP needs to grow a pair already.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 02:50:27 am »
The GOP needs to grow a pair already.

What all would that entail?
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 03:42:05 am »
What all would that entail?
Mandatory exercisement of the 2nd amendment.  Calling for illegals and abortion doctors to be shot on sight.  Research grants for gay reversion therapy and the cloning of Ronald Reagan.  Require the use of the word(s) Liberty, Principles, Conservative, or Constitution(al) in conversations even when it is awkwardly inappropriate.  Operation Valkyrie. 

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 04:16:45 am »
Mandatory exercisement of the 2nd amendment.  Calling for illegals and abortion doctors to be shot on sight.  Research grants for gay reversion therapy and the cloning of Ronald Reagan.  Require the use of the word(s) Liberty, Principles, Conservative, or Constitution(al) in conversations even when it is awkwardly inappropriate.  Operation Valkyrie.

I'd just settle for someone with the balls to call for a smaller budget, a smaller government - with across the board cuts in every department.  I'd settle for someone with the balls to vigorously defend our Constitution and follow the laws of the land.  Someone who knows when it is right to reach across the aisle, but also knows when to tell the other side of the aisle - NO.  Would it be too much to settle for someone that isn't afraid of how the media is going to portray them?

I'd love to settle for someone that isn't a life-career politician - someone with current real-world experience in trying to raise a family while the price of EVERYTHING keeps going up - and do it within their budget!  (Now THAT takes some real balls!)

All that other crap you posted, that's social conservative stuff and the intent of the Tea Party is to reverse the disastrous direction of our country's fiscal policy.  It has nothing to do with social issues.  Most people I agree with say that those issues should be left up to the States.  You're trying the tactics of the left - of ridicule and mockery to try to "Palinize" the Tea Party.....because Big Government just hates the idea of giving up a single ounce of power or the taxpayer's hard-earned money.  So mock them you must.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 06:01:17 am »
I'd just settle for someone with the balls to call for a smaller budget, a smaller government - with across the board cuts in every department.  I'd settle for someone with the balls to vigorously defend our Constitution and follow the laws of the land.  Someone who knows when it is right to reach across the aisle, but also knows when to tell the other side of the aisle - NO.  Would it be too much to settle for someone that isn't afraid of how the media is going to portray them?

I'd love to settle for someone that isn't a life-career politician - someone with current real-world experience in trying to raise a family while the price of EVERYTHING keeps going up - and do it within their budget!  (Now THAT takes some real balls!)

You have just described most Republicans.  I can't convince you that McConnell, Cornyn, Boehner, and Ryan have all called for smaller government and smaller budgets.  The evidence is clear to anyone who wants to see it. :google:

All that other crap you posted, that's social conservative stuff and the intent of the Tea Party is to reverse the disastrous direction of our country's fiscal policy.  It has nothing to do with social issues.  Most people I agree with say that those issues should be left up to the States.  You're trying the tactics of the left - of ridicule and mockery to try to "Palinize" the Tea Party.....because Big Government just hates the idea of giving up a single ounce of power or the taxpayer's hard-earned money.  So mock them you must.

I'm sorry.  I was under the assumption that the Tea Party also cared about social issues like...

immigration
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/08/13/NYTimes-Grudgingly-Admits-Tea-Party-Winning-Immigration-Fight

guns
http://www.teaparty.org/mark-kelly-calls-2nd-amendment-view-held-james-madison-affront-48035/

homos
Oklahoma GOP house candidate endorses stoning homosexuals to death, calls the practice 'totally just
http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/upiUPI-20140611-140641-7425

and abortion
http://www.teaparty.org/president-infanticide-dem-abortion-platform-does-not-exclude-partial-birth-abortion-12543/
http://www.teaparty.org/sarah-palin-responds-dawnkins-statement-immoral-abort-downs-syndrome-baby-52407/

Clearly I was mistaken.  Looks like I need to find a better source of information. 

They're all Breitbart stories. 

What a second...Are you sure "the intent of the Tea Party is to reverse the disastrous direction of our country's fiscal policy?"(thanks for reminding me about the Government Shutdown.  Add that to the previous list of requirements for growing a pair.)

Interesting that you believe that mocking an opponent is a tactic of the left exclusively.  If your enemy is temperamental, seek to irritate him. - Sun Tzu  500(?)BC

I'm Palinizing the Tea Party?  8889whatkitty
http://www.teapartyexpress.org/7119/governor-sarah-palin-to-attend-tea-party-express-rally
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/06/27/Don-t-Retreat-Reload-Sarah-Palin-Allen-West-Rick-Santorum-Encourage-Tea-Party-to-Keep-Fighting
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2014/04/27/Palin-to-GOP-Establishment-Get-with-It-and-Join-Those-Tea-Party-Patriots
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/11/11/Palin-Disappointing-GOP-Establishment-Set-to-Wage-War-on-Tea-Party

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1DXrb0xYTU

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 06:15:10 am »
I'm not going to argue with you point by point Once-Ler, I'm much too tired and ready for bed.  But I will say that I don't consider illegal immigration and guns to be social issues.  Lot of problems with the rest of what you just said, and yeah - mockery!  You, like the GOPe, like to look down on your noses at us Tea Party hicks.  When I say "Palinization", it's the same as you have done with Ted Cruz - Alinsky tactics.

Besides, Obama was responsible for the government shutdown - you liberals think that if you keep saying something over and over - then it becomes the truth.  Typical.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 06:25:12 am »
Politicians sure do like to talk a good game, but the results tend to speak for themselves.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 12:57:52 pm »
Dex wrote above:
[[ Politicians sure do like to talk a good game...]]

That's the hallmark of a good politician.

[[....but the results tend to speak for themselves. ]]

That, too, is the hallmark of a good politician !!

Offline evadR

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 01:09:37 pm »

:amen:
what she said.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.