Author Topic: It's coming: Romney for president redux  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
It's coming: Romney for president redux
« on: August 28, 2014, 04:08:42 pm »
Rick Moran
American Thinker
August 28, 2014

... You would have hoped that Romney would have retired from the public arena and kept a low profile as other losers have done in the past. Instead, the last few months have seen the former presidential candidate raising his public profile considerably, while apparently courting big money donors which is generating speculation he may make another run in 2016.

And now, a new poll out of Iowa may put some fire in his belly...

What is this Republican death wish? Nothing has changed in 4 years to make Romney a better candidate. Did he give all his money away so that the Democrats can't paint him as a Daddy Warbucks who hates the poor and wants to enslave women? Has his speaking ability improved dramatically so that people won't fall asleep listening to him? Has he become more animated, more lifelike, instead of a wooden Ken doll? ...
More

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: It's coming: Romney for president redux
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 04:21:56 pm »
I hate to say this, but I seriously doubt Romney is beatable in the primary, if he decides to run again.  And it looks more and more likely he will run. 

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 04:26:29 pm »
Amazing how stupid so-called conservatives are.  Apparently they don't understand how the game works, even now.  Let me explain...

The 'media' will push favorable 'news' news early in the election cycle about the candidate that they know will not fight back in the general election.  This gets the 'conservatives' all excited because 'this time it's different' and they support the media's candidate-select over other candidates who will fight back and can win in the general election (e.g., Scott Walker).

Once the media's candidate-select is nominated, the knives come out and conservatives find out that it wasn't any different this time than any other.

Too much fluoride in the water or the toothpaste these days, apparently...

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:27:01 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 04:42:32 pm »
We allow the media and the Democrats (same difference) to choose our candidates, and then are shocked when they collude to destroy them in the general election. 

That said, Romney is unquestionably a good guy who unaccountably refused to defend himself when he had the chances to do so in 2012. There is no question in my mind that America would now be better off in every conceivable way, had he won the election.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:48:50 pm by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 05:09:04 pm »
I hate to say this, but I seriously doubt Romney is beatable in the primary, if he decides to run again.  And it looks more and more likely he will run.

I have the same sense...
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 05:16:55 pm »
The popular rant on internet political forums is that a more conservative candidate will win, whereas a mainstream candidate will not.

Reagan won just 50.8% in 1980, coming after disastrous Carter. But Reagan was a household name, a trusted figure, a mainstream personality.

Goldwater won 38.5% in 1964 without a 3rd party. That ought to be allowed to sink in.

In current polling, the more mainstream GOP prospects outpoll the more conservative ones.

The notion, if only the GOP would run Ted Cruz or Michelle Bachmann, all the reclusive "true conservatives" will get out and vote in massive numbers, is ludicrous.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 05:27:56 pm »
I was a stubborn sell but I came around to Mitt last time.  I remember aligncare steadfastly proffering his support to any of us who would listen.  I guess we all need to stay tuned.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 05:53:07 pm »

Watch how the GoP helps elect Hellary...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Relic

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 06:52:41 pm »
The popular rant on internet political forums is that a more conservative candidate will win, whereas a mainstream candidate will not.

Reagan won just 50.8% in 1980, coming after disastrous Carter. But Reagan was a household name, a trusted figure, a mainstream personality.

Goldwater won 38.5% in 1964 without a 3rd party. That ought to be allowed to sink in.

In current polling, the more mainstream GOP prospects outpoll the more conservative ones.

The notion, if only the GOP would run Ted Cruz or Michelle Bachmann, all the reclusive "true conservatives" will get out and vote in massive numbers, is ludicrous.

I find it interesting how the GOPe fanboys only read what they want to read. The thread was about a candidate that will fight back, versus someone like Romney, who for reasons not apparent, chose not to defend himself. The comments about Romney were complimentary. Good guy, we'd be better off had he won.

Nothing about not being conservative enough. Until the quoted post.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 07:34:25 pm »
Changing Washington's political culture will take considerable time. While all of us here embrace basic conservative principles of liberty, fiscally responsible government and individual sovereignty, Washington is light years opposite that.

Compared to the current administration, Romney is conservative. Is he the quintessential conservative? No. But, I figure, at least Romney's a start in the right direction.

(And, yeah, Lando I was breathing fire back then! Today? Not so much. The news cycle done beat me down.)

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 12:57:26 am »
Watch how the GoP helps elect Hellary...

You beat me to that point.

I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 12:24:48 pm »
Redux?  More like reflux!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 12:54:18 pm »
There's something awry about Mitt Romney's personality speaking in front of voters on the campaign trail. 

It's not that it's insincere.  Anybody can see that he's an honest, dedicated and focused man. He just seems to lack the emotion of ANGER, when discussing the current state of our country.  Which, IMO, feeds on the media image and portrayal of somebody being out-of-touch.  Nobody can convince me that his Mormon upbringing and his refusal to acknowledge evil and his propensity to always turn the other cheek when attacked doesn't have an effect.

I don't want a nice guy.  I want a passionate advocate that is going to rebut...even in a quip or joke as RR used to do..the attacks from the Left.

Perhaps it's just me, but he looks corny in his plaid, open collar shirts and denim jeans.  His smile often seems out-of-place in interviews and press conferences.

IMO, if we're going to be stuck with a nerd...let's try Scott Walker, who has current experience in fighting the opposition and winning.

He's untainted on a national level unlike Romney...whose the Republican version of Adlai Stevenson or Hubert Humphrey. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 01:02:24 pm »
Nobody can convince me that his Mormon upbringing and his...  propensity to always turn the other cheek when attacked doesn't have an effect.

Yeah, that other Mormon -- Harry Reid -- has the same problem.  /s

Offline aligncare

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 01:09:03 pm »
We live in a different age. Harry Truman couldn't get elected today.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made – Groucho Marx

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 01:21:12 pm »
I don't want a nice guy.  I want a passionate advocate that is going to rebut...even in a quip or joke as RR used to do..the attacks from the Left.

Reagan was one in a billion. You are not going to see his like again in your lifetime.

I like Romney. He never shows anger because a good CEO can't afford to do so. He's talented, able and puts the good of the company and his employees before his own, from all I have heard. Don't want to see him as President - but can you imagine how brilliant he'd be as SecState?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 01:29:32 pm »
Well, all this Rehash Romney planted chatter is assuring me of one thing: Jeb's not running (which is good) and the GOPe is getting desperate.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Relic

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 01:34:52 pm »
Well, all this Rehash Romney planted chatter is assuring me of one thing: Jeb's not running (which is good) and the GOPe is getting desperate.

It's difficult to find a good candidate when you're busy attacking your base.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 04:03:26 pm »
Reagan was one in a billion. You are not going to see his like again in your lifetime.

He was a man. Take him for all in all.
I shall not look upon his like again.

Shakespeare -- Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 2

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 04:07:00 pm »
He was a man. Take him for all in all.
I shall not look upon his like again.

Shakespeare -- Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 2

Yet even Reagan could not do all he wanted.

Why do you think they shot him so quickly?

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 05:01:24 pm »
Yeah, that other Mormon -- Harry Reid -- has the same problem.  /s

First...Reid wasn't running for POTUS.

Secondly, what I meant was the Mormon ideology together with his specific personality.   It wasn't meant as a slam toward the Mormon religion.  If he was a strict Catholic or Presbyterian I would have said the same thing.

He lives by the Good Book.  But when you have somebody who never presents flashes of anger...it becomes a problem.

Even Jesus Himself, flipped over a few tables and whacked a few merchants in the Temple.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 05:03:40 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 05:28:37 pm »

Secondly, what I meant was the Mormon ideology together with his specific personality.   It wasn't meant as a slam toward the Mormon religion.  If he was a strict Catholic or Presbyterian I would have said the same thing.

I was just being sarcastic.  I wasn't slamming the observation.

I think many devout Mormons do have that "Boy Scout" persona.  Harry Reid is an exception, obviously. 

I remember that HBO series "Big Love."  They weren't exactly Mormons, but a splinter group.  The guy who played the main character had that same vibe. 

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 06:42:47 pm »
I was just being sarcastic.  I wasn't slamming the observation.

I think many devout Mormons do have that "Boy Scout" persona.  Harry Reid is an exception, obviously. 

I remember that HBO series "Big Love."  They weren't exactly Mormons, but a splinter group.  The guy who played the main character had that same vibe.

Thanks for the follow-up, Victor.

Last impression would like to give anyone is that I've got anything against Mormons.

Just that it's my belief we need somebody who's not adverse to hitting a chin or breaking a nose.   Figuratively, of course.   :laugh:

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 07:00:14 pm »
Just that it's my belief we need somebody who's not adverse to hitting a chin or breaking a nose.

Just remember that our national government, media and political parties understand that what "we need" is diametrically-opposed to what "they need".

Who do you think will come out on the top of that struggle?

Offline flowers

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 07:04:21 pm »
I am so sick and tired of this game they play each election cycle. Once again picking for us.  :chairbang: