Author Topic: Rams Cut Sam, 1st Openly Gay NFL Player Drafted  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Re: Rams Cut Sam, 1st Openly Gay NFL Player Drafted
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 10:03:08 pm »
Cowboys to bring in Michael Sam
ESPN
September 2, 2014

Michael Sam is flying into Dallas on Tuesday night and will take a physical for the Cowboys on Wednesday, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

If Sam passes his physical, the Cowboys intend to sign him to their practice squad, the source said.
More

Offline evadR

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 01:01:52 am »
Michael Sam is flying into Dallas on Tuesday night and will take a physical for the Cowboys on Wednesday, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

If Sam passes his physical, the Cowboys intend to sign him to their practice squad, the source said.

On that team, he should be a starter.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 03:54:28 am »
Personally I don't care if he is gay or not. But what I do care about is the over-the-top media buzz around him 24/7. If he was joining my club, I would worry about the distraction they would cause, and them questioning the general managers every decision regarding him.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 04:04:28 am »
Jerry Jones is trolling for headlines, since he knows the Cowboys are going to stink it up yet again this year.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2014, 11:26:14 am »
I just took a good look at the headline and it tacitly says there are other gay players who haven't come out.  Since the writer chose the word OPENLY, it stands to reason he knows there are others who are NOT openly gay.
Indeed, there have been several.

Tight end Jerry Smith was the first—over 40 years ago. Everyone in that locker room knew about it, and he even had an affair with another player (David Kopay). Smith ended up dying of AIDS.

As for today, if you assume the ~2% figure of the general population, there's bound to be several homosexuals among the 2000 or so players on an NFL roster or practice squad. “Fellow traveler” Brendan Ayanbadejo once claimed there were four of them planning to come out at once a while back; that obviously never happened.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024