Author Topic: Try to wrap your mind around this.  (Read 4501 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Try to wrap your mind around this.
« on: August 26, 2014, 10:23:57 pm »

http://i.imgur.com/Ae9hbU1.jpg

You could line up all of the other planets in our solar system directly next to each other and they would fit in the space between Earth and the moon.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:33:55 pm by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline aligncare

Re: Try to wrap your mind around this.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 11:18:19 pm »
The reaches of the universe are far more interesting to me than the size of planets, which are mere specs of matter in the vast distances of a limitless universe.

Limitless?

Offline Dexter

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 11:22:35 pm »
The reaches of the universe are far more interesting to me than the size of planets, which are mere specs of matter in the vast distances of a limitless universe.

Limitless?

I think this really puts into perspective just how small the planets are, which gives you a better appreciation of just how large the distance between planets and stars really is. The vastness of the universe is absolutely mind-blowing.
-Socrates

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:32:04 pm »
Yep. Which always brings me to thinking about the nature of reality and the existence of a creator.

A single light year seems an astonishing distance. Multiply that by 13.7 billion to get a sense of the neighborhood. Wow.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 11:34:23 pm »
Yep. Which always brings me to thinking about the nature of reality and the existence of a creator.

A single light year seems an astonishing distance. Multiply that by 13.7 billion to get a sense of the neighborhood. Wow.

I think the idea of all of everything spontaneously exploding from absolutely nothing is one of the best arguments for the existence of God that exists.
-Socrates

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 11:43:56 pm »
I think the idea of all of everything spontaneously exploding from absolutely nothing is one of the best arguments for the existence of God that exists.

Absolutely. I've long thought that. It sure sounds like the Big Bang is just scientific interpretation of creation; but, it's also just a lot of how's without any why's.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 12:02:48 am »
Our entire world is just like a speck of sand on the beach in the scheme of the universe. 

When I studied microbiology, I was struck by seeing a universe on a microscopic scale.  Each cell is a world into itself. 

It blows my mind. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 12:04:12 am »

Limitless?

Like everything concerning space, it depends on what you consider to be a 'limit'. There may be some dimensional limit to our version of space. That is, if you go out far enough, which may be billions of light years, there may be a theoretical dimensional boundry which you would cross.

You would not stop, or sort of run out of universe, but you would be in a different space time than where you just were. So, the question is, "does that represent a 'limit' to our universe"?

But nevermind, I am just home from work, having a beer, watching Oreilly and drifting off the deep end. lol
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:05:39 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 12:17:47 am »
I've always wondered if you started off to cross the universe, and went far enough - if you wouldn't end up right back where you started. 

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 12:27:12 am »
I've always wondered if you started off to cross the universe, and went far enough - if you wouldn't end up right back where you started.

I almost wrote that. I really did. In my vision, you would be in same place that you started but everything would be different. (cue the Twilight Zone) lol
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 12:44:50 am »

I almost wrote that. I really did. In my vision, you would be in same place that you started but everything would be different. (cue the Twilight Zone) lol

I've also had a vision that my whole existence is a dream some larger entity is having (or is it a nightmare?).

:th_10444:

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 12:50:54 am »
I've also had a vision that my whole existence is a dream some larger entity is having (or is it a nightmare?).

:th_10444:

Take it easy Alice. Maybe you should go to bed a little early tonight. (or maybe not) lol

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 01:06:47 am »

Take it easy Alice. Maybe you should go to bed a little early tonight. (or maybe not) lol

:silly: :silly: :silly:

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

Maybe I need to lie down...

Oceander

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 03:09:37 am »

You could line up all of the other planets in our solar system directly next to each other and they would fit in the space between Earth and the moon.

With how much room to spare?  The photo seems to show a pretty close fit, which would be rather an amazing coincidence.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 02:18:35 pm »
With how much room to spare?  The photo seems to show a pretty close fit, which would be rather an amazing coincidence.

Less than 5000 miles to spare out of an average 238,555 miles.
-Socrates

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 02:48:53 pm »

Which could mean that the actual universe is smaller than the observable universe.

Well...
think about it...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Dexter

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 03:06:19 pm »
Which could mean that the actual universe is smaller than the observable universe.

Well...
think about it...

It's possible and fun to consider, but I will remain skeptical until a time when we have more evidence that it might be true. What do you think of the multiverse theory?

http://www.space.com/18811-multiple-universes-5-theories.html
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 03:12:10 pm »
Absolutely. I've long thought that. It sure sounds like the Big Bang is just scientific interpretation of creation; but, it's also just a lot of how's without any why's.

Atheists love to forget that part.
-Socrates

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 03:14:31 pm »
It's possible and fun to consider, but I will remain skeptical until a time when we have more evidence that it might be true. What do you think of the multiverse theory?

You don't seem to understand.  There will never be 'more evidence' for any origins theory of the universe.  It is impossible to observe and is therefore entirely philosophical.

You can't even prove that the earth orbits the sun even though most people believe that it does.

“People need to be aware that there is a range of models that could explain the observations,” Ellis argues. “For instance, I can construct you a spherically symmetrical universe with Earth at its center, and you cannot disprove it based on observations.” Ellis has published a paper on this. “You can only exclude it on philosophical grounds.  In my view there is absolutely nothing wrong in that. What I want to bring into the open is the fact that we are using philosophical criteria in choosing our models. A lot of cosmology tries to hide that.”

Ellis, George, in Scientific American, “Thinking Globally, Acting Universally”, October 1995

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Dexter

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 03:22:41 pm »
You don't seem to understand.  There will never be 'more evidence' for any origins theory of the universe.  It is impossible to observe and is therefore entirely philosophical.

We could indeed uncover more evidence that the universe is a 4 dimensional sphere if that is true. He even talks about how we could do it in the video you posted. If the idea presented in that video is true we will surely have more evidence of it at some point in the future. We may not be able to pinpoint exactly how or why all of this came to be, but there is a lot we can understand through observations. Our understanding of the universe around us increases constantly through scientific observation.

You can't even prove that the earth orbits the sun even though most people believe that it does.

Yes, we can. Do you believe the Earth doesn't revolve around the Sun?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:40:26 pm by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 03:25:53 pm »

“People need to be aware that there is a range of models that could explain the observations,” Ellis argues. “For instance, I can construct you a spherically symmetrical universe with Earth at its center, and you cannot disprove it based on observations.” Ellis has published a paper on this. “You can only exclude it on philosophical grounds.  In my view there is absolutely nothing wrong in that. What I want to bring into the open is the fact that we are using philosophical criteria in choosing our models. A lot of cosmology tries to hide that.”

Ellis, George, in Scientific American, “Thinking Globally, Acting Universally”, October 1995

I certainly agree with that. 

Offline flowers

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 03:27:56 pm »

This has been a fun thread to follow

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 03:39:30 pm »
We could indeed uncover more evidence that the universe is a 4 dimensional sphere if that is true. He even talks about how we could do it in the video you posted.

How are you going to prove that there are not more than 4 dimensions?

If the idea presented in that video is true we will surely have more evidence of it at some point in the future. We may not be able to pinpoint exactly how or why all of this came to be, but there is a lot we can understand through observations. Our understand of the universe around us increases constantly through scientific observation.

As the George Ellis quote showed, philosophy overwhelms observation in 'science'.

Yes, we can. Do you believe the Earth doesn't revolve around the Sun?

No, you can't.  The fact that you don't understand this shows that you don't know what you're talking about.

Here's a little more about who George Ellis is...

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:44:41 pm by GourmetDan »

Offline Dexter

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 03:57:37 pm »
How are you going to prove that there are not more than 4 dimensions?

At this very point in time science cannot prove or disprove that, but as he lays out in the video, if the universe is a 4 dimensional sphere then we should be able to use calculations to observe patterns that show we can actually see ourselves if you look far enough into space. If this proves impossible to do then the universe is not actually smaller than the observable universe. You're drastically underestimating what we can understand through scientific observation. You don't completely understand the implications of what you're quoting, but it is also important to note that our understanding of the universe has increased exponentially since 1995. 

No, you can't.  The fact that you don't understand this shows that you don't know what you're talking about.

I am absolutely stunned that I am actually having a debate about the legitimacy of a unifying theory like gravity. We can observe that the Sun is in a fixed position in our solar system and that all other things are indeed revolving around it. Large things have more gravity than smaller things and at a massive scale they create orbit. Almost everything we understand about the universe is dependent on our understanding of how gravity works. Denying this is unbelievably ridiculous. We can and have proven that the Earth revolves around the Sun.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:06:28 pm by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 04:03:12 pm »
I am absolutely stunned that I am actually having a debate about the legitimacy of a unifying theory like gravity. We can observe that the Sun is in a fixed position in our solar system and that all other things are indeed revolving around it. Large things have more gravity than smaller things and at a massive scale they create orbit. Denying this is absolutely ridiculous. We can and have proven that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

And I am absolutely stunned that you are insisting that you can scientifically do that which an accomplished physicist has said is purely philosophical.

Would you believe Einstein himself?  Sir Fred Hoyle?  Max Born?

Or is your ignorance so dear to you?