Author Topic: Nearly $400,000 raised online for Ferguson cop who fatally shot teen  (Read 2421 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ferguson-shooting-nearly-400k-raised-online-for-officer-darren-wilson-who-fatally-shot-michael-brown/

CBS/APAugust 25, 2014, 4:28 PM
Nearly $400,000 raised online for Ferguson cop who fatally shot teen

Ferguson, Missouri police officer Darren Wilson, who fatally shot unarmed teenager Michael Brown earlier this month, has gone underground since the controversial shooting, but his backers have been coming out in droves and many are showing their support by donating cash online.

Almost $400,000 has been raised on the fundraising site gofundme.com for the six-year police veteran. After the first fundraising drive reached its goal of $234,000, a second page was established and has brought in more than $153,000 in four days. More than 9,000 people combined have contributed to the two fundraising pages.

By contrast, more than 8,600 people have donated about $250,000 to the gofundme page set up for Brown. Thousands of mourners attended Brown's funeral Monday in St. Louis.

Brown's Aug. 9 killing ignited almost two weeks of racially charged street protests in Ferguson. The young man was unarmed when he was shot by Wilson, who is white.

The administrators of the pro-Wilson gofundme page say they "anticipate these funds will be used to cover potential legal fees, relocation and living expenses of both Officer Darren Wilson and his immediate family."

However, the online fundraiser has also drawn a litany of racist comments, forcing the administrators to shut down the comment section.

The online support is also evident on Facebook, where a "Support Darren Wilson" community page has accumulated some 70,000 likes.

On Saturday, CBS News correspondent Vladimir Duthiers reported there was a show of solidarity for Wilson with about 200 people gathering in downtown St. Louis.

"I think he's been crucified, he's been accused of being guilty before a trial," one supported told CBS News. "That's not the American way."

A grand jury is considering evidence in the case, and a federal investigation is also underway.

Police have said a scuffle broke out after Wilson told Brown and a friend to move out of the street and onto a sidewalk in Ferguson. Police said Wilson was pushed into his squad car and physically assaulted. Some witnesses have reported seeing Brown's arms in the air - an act of surrender. An autopsy found Brown was shot at least six times.

Not much is known about Wilson but snippets of his life have emerged. His parents were married only four years before divorcing in 1989 in Texas. Court records say he divorced last November. His mother, a convicted forger and alleged con artist, died 12 years ago. Wilson got a commendation in February from the Ferguson police force, four years into his job there.

A longtime friend - former high school classmate and hockey buddy Jake Shepard - publicly has come to Wilson's defense, insisting in interviews that the shy Wilson would never maliciously take a life and fears possible retribution.

Having talked to Wilson since the shooting, Shepard said, "I think he's kind of struggling a little bit, but I think he's doing OK."

"He didn't really want to talk much about it," Shepard, also 28, said of Brown's death. "But I can tell you for sure it was not racially motivated. He's not the type of person to harbor any hate for anybody. He was always nice, respectable and well-mannered, a gentleman. He doesn't have anything bad to say about anybody, ever. He's very genuine."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Nearly $400,000 raised online for Ferguson cop who fatally shot teen
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 10:34:19 pm »
When I served in the US Army over 4 decades ago, I slaved indoors over a typewriter, carbon copy forms, compute printouts, etc.

All of our group's members were white. Our boss, a Chief Warrant Officer, up from enlisted, said he was open to anybody who was qualified. Just that he hadn't had a black that was qualified, yet.

At that time I was still idealistically close to the 60s optimism, etc. I served as co-chairman of an enlisted panel, regarding race relations in the Army in Germany at the time.

Since then, my lifetime experiences leave me very mixed about blacks. Individually some can be fine, but collectively as a group, they distress me. Violent crime is a big factor.

I sure wouldn't want to be near an area that they lived in to any great extent.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline speekinout

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 01:29:25 am »
Since then, my lifetime experiences leave me very mixed about blacks. Individually some can be fine, but collectively as a group, they distress me. Violent crime is a big factor.

I've lived in majority black areas. I have absolutely no qualms about living in an area with black families. Fathers in almost every home. But I want no part of any area where the blacks are almost all single mothers, mostly on welfare, and where the schools are poor.

SPQR

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 03:02:36 am »

This is Darren Wilson fundraiser site. Support Officer Wilson

https://www.gofundme.com/OfficerWilsonFundraiser
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:08:05 am by Trigger »

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 03:07:44 am »

The war on drugs perpetuates a lot of the ghetto/gang culture that fuels this type of behavior. Without illegal drugs to sell the gangs and black markets will die out for the most part and young black people will have to find different role models. Another big factor is the quality of education they have access to.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:13:45 am by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

SPQR

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 03:13:48 am »
The war on drugs perpetuates a lot of the ghetto/gang culture that fuels this type of behavior. If there are no drugs to sell illegally the gangs and black markets will die out for the most part and young black people will have to find different role models. Another big factor is the quality of education they have access to.

Should heroin be legal? Kids will allow to access to cocaine, marijuana and other hard drugs.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:16:36 am by Trigger »

Offline Dexter

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 03:17:03 am »
Should heroin be legal?

I don't condone the use of heroine, but making it illegal isn't going to deter people from using it if that is what they want to do. If it wasn't criminalized it would also be easier to help people that become addicted. I understand your apprehension, but keeping it illegal only makes the situation worse.

Kids will allow to access to cocaine, marijuana and other hard drugs.

It won't be legal for kids to use drugs, just like it is not legal for them to consume alcohol. It's actually easier for them to get something like pot than it is for them to get cigarettes or alcohol, the reason being that drug dealers don't care how old their customers are.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:26:35 am by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

SPQR

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 03:59:42 am »
I don't condone the use of heroine, but making it illegal isn't going to deter people from using it if that is what they want to do. If it wasn't criminalized it would also be easier to help people that become addicted. I understand your apprehension, but keeping it illegal only makes the situation worse.

You are incorrect. When I had my kidney stones I took Oxycontin which is a cousin of heroin to easy the pain. Oxycontin is probably the most abused drug  This was under a doctor's supervision. It took three days cold turkey to clean out this out of my body. My sister in law helped me kill the craving because she is a certified pharmacist.. Just imagine the people who take the pure form of heroin.A study published in the Archives of General Psychiatry shows that heroin addicts have only a 50 percent survival rate. Legalization can easily lead to addiction

http://luxury.rehabs.com/heroin-addiction/death-mortality-rates/
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:00:07 am by Trigger »

Offline Dexter

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 10:37:52 am »
You are incorrect. When I had my kidney stones I took Oxycontin which is a cousin of heroin to easy the pain. Oxycontin is probably the most abused drug  This was under a doctor's supervision. It took three days cold turkey to clean out this out of my body. My sister in law helped me kill the craving because she is a certified pharmacist.. Just imagine the people who take the pure form of heroin.A study published in the Archives of General Psychiatry shows that heroin addicts have only a 50 percent survival rate. Legalization can easily lead to addiction

Nothing you just said refutes what I said. When I said it would be easier to help addicts I meant because they will no longer be seen as criminals and will not so often be unwilling to seek help. We might even be able to use some of the nearly 100 billion a year we'd free up by ending the drug war and taxing legal drugs to build and manage help clinics properly.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:45:18 am by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

SPQR

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 02:17:19 pm »
Nothing you just said refutes what I said. When I said it would be easier to help addicts I meant because they will no longer be seen as criminals and will not so often be unwilling to seek help. We might even be able to use some of the nearly 100 billion a year we'd free up by ending the drug war and taxing legal drugs to build and manage help clinics properly.

We will be creating more addicts. Look at the substances that are legal and addicts they create..Smoking is a legal substance and look of the people who are dying from cancer. The government would like more addicts for they finance the general fund of their states.There are already taxes on these subsances. The government always promises that money raised by taxing the legal substances wil go to combat the problem but it never does it goes to the general fund already. We have enough problems with alcohol and abuse of pharmaceutical products. Do we really need to add yet another mind-altering substance ?Like the lottery. The government promises that the money raised goes to education but goes straight into the general fund. I have not seen one improvement in our schools. Legalizaion will cause massive economic problems

The DEA’s response is: “Ask legalization proponents if the alleged profits from drug legalization would be enough to pay for the increased fetal defects, loss of workplace productivity, increased traffic fatalities and industrial accidents, increased domestic violence and the myriad other problems that would not only be high-cost items but extremely expensive in terms of social decay]/quote]

U.S. Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration, Speaking Out against Drug Legalization, 17.
http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_arch&article_id=533&issue_id=32005
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:15:44 pm by Trigger »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 03:35:20 pm »
When I served in the US Army over 4 decades ago, I slaved indoors over a typewriter, carbon copy forms, compute printouts, etc.

All of our group's members were white. Our boss, a Chief Warrant Officer, up from enlisted, said he was open to anybody who was qualified. Just that he hadn't had a black that was qualified, yet.

At that time I was still idealistically close to the 60s optimism, etc. I served as co-chairman of an enlisted panel, regarding race relations in the Army in Germany at the time.

Completey agree, T_S.

In my current semi-retired position in life, I go into "bad areas" of Washington, DC at least once or twice a week.   Take exterior..sometimes interior pics of properties for mortgage lenders.  Owners are either attempting to modify existing mortgages or they haven't been paying and are in some stage of the foreclosure process.  Photos are requested to ensure the asset is not deteriorating in condition.

The last few times I've gone there, I have been uneasy...finding myself the only Caucasion in existence (as far as they are concerned.

As you stated...one by himself or herself, no problemo.  But in a group? 

If I can't take the pics from inside by car...they aren't getting taken that day.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 08:44:16 pm »
Legalization can easily lead to addiction

Therefore outlaw alcohol, the biggest single cause of death, from among the many vices and substances in the US.

Wait, we tried that.  (Prohibition had been pushed mainly by evangelical protestant denominations, btw))
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Dexter

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 09:05:37 pm »
We will be creating more addicts. Look at the substances that are legal and addicts they create..Smoking is a legal substance and look of the people who are dying from cancer. The government would like more addicts for they finance the general fund of their states.There are already taxes on these subsances. The government always promises that money raised by taxing the legal substances wil go to combat the problem but it never does it goes to the general fund already. We have enough problems with alcohol and abuse of pharmaceutical products. Do we really need to add yet another mind-altering substance ?Like the lottery. The government promises that the money raised goes to education but goes straight into the general fund. I have not seen one improvement in our schools. Legalizaion will cause massive economic problems

U.S. Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration, Speaking Out against Drug Legalization, 17.
http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_arch&article_id=533&issue_id=32005

People that want to do it are going to do it regardless of it being illegal or not. There is no reason to believe that millions of people are going to become burned out junkies when they wouldn't have if it were illegal. None of the things the DEA listed would become substantially bigger problems, so yes, the profits would be more than enough. Do you think people don't already do drugs and drive? Why would you think a law abiding person that would only do drugs if they were legal would also be the kind of person to break the law by driving while intoxicated? It doesn't make sense. Anybody stupid enough to do something like that would be willing to take the risk of buying the drugs illegally. Nobody is saying there would be absolutely no cons to drug legalization, but the cons can't even compare to the pros. Making it illegal to do something a lot of people want to do will only make the situation worse. By the way, I'm absolutely shocked that the DEA would fight against drug legalization. It's almost like they are extraordinarily biased for some reason. Why is that? It's not like their very existence depends on them getting funding from the government to continue locking up adults that want to use drugs. Oh, wait...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 09:28:37 pm by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 09:35:18 pm »
Therefore outlaw alcohol, the biggest single cause of death, from among the many vices and substances in the US.

Wait, we tried that.  (Prohibition had been pushed mainly by evangelical protestant denominations, btw))

:thumbsup:
-Socrates

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 12:13:42 am »

Well, a little perspective.  There are about 130 million alcohol users in the US while 22 million used illicit drugs, the vast majority being cannabis users.  The hard drugs such as cocaine and meth were used by less than 2 million according to CNN Health.  The CDC numbers for alcohol induced deaths was a little over 26 thousand, and drug induced deaths were around 17 thousand. 

While an additional 30 thousand die from chronic liver diseases (many associated with alcohol after years of abuse),  the alcohol related deaths are a small fraction of those from drug use. 

Interestingly no drug induced deaths were recorded for cannabis.  Addiction is a major problem with the hard drug use, and is significantly more of an issue than with alcohol, though over time of course, alcohol addiction becomes an issue.  Still there's a big difference between your first beer and your first meth hit, and the moves to legalize everything should be considered only with strong caution.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

SPQR

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 12:53:53 am »
People that want to do it are going to do it regardless of it being illegal or not. There is no reason to believe that millions of people are going to become burned out junkies when they wouldn't have if it were illegal. None of the things the DEA listed would become substantially bigger problems, so yes, the profits would be more than enough. Do you think people don't already do drugs and drive? Why would you think a law abiding person that would only do drugs if they were legal would also be the kind of person to break the law by driving while intoxicated? It doesn't make sense. Anybody stupid enough to do something like that would be willing to take the risk of buying the drugs illegally. Nobody is saying there would be absolutely no cons to drug legalization, but the cons can't even compare to the pros. Making it illegal to do something a lot of people want to do will only make the situation worse. By the way, I'm absolutely shocked that the DEA would fight against drug legalization. It's almost like they are extraordinarily biased for some reason. Why is that? It's not like their very existence depends on them getting funding from the government to continue locking up adults that want to use drugs. Oh, wait...

I guess you would like a bunch of heroin junkies driving on the road stoned out of the minds killing a family of four because they were driving the wrong way.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 01:03:24 am by Trigger »

Offline evadR

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 01:38:29 am »

Oxy is synthetic heroine and extremely addictive and dangerous.
I lost a young nephew to oxy addiction.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

SPQR

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 01:41:33 am »
Oxy is synthetic heroine and extremely addictive and dangerous.

I know. I was prescribed that when I had my kidney stones. My stones were killing me until I had my surgery. It took several days to kick the habit along with help with my sister in law.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 01:44:35 am by Trigger »

Offline evadR

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 01:47:57 am »
I know. I was prescribed that when I had my kidney stones. My stones were killing me until I had my surgery. It took several days to kick the habit along with help with my sister in law.
Good for you. I'm sure it wasn't easy.
Wish my nephew had the same success.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Oceander

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 03:14:57 am »
"I think he's been crucified, he's been accused of being guilty before a trial," one supported told CBS News. "That's not the American way."

No, but it is the liberal/progressive way.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 05:14:40 am »
Isnt this thread about the money being raised for this police officer? :pondering: :shrug:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

SPQR

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 05:24:16 am »
Isnt this thread about the money being raised for this police officer? :pondering: :shrug:

Its coming up as a Photobucket thread.

This is the thread:

https://www.gofundme.com/OfficerWilsonFundraiser

Mailing Address for All Mail in Donations:
 Shield of Hope
 9620 Lackland Road
 St. Louis, MO 63114

GoFundMe page: istand4darren@gmail.com
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 05:41:21 am by Trigger »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 03:00:00 pm »
http://ulstermanbooks.com/support-officer-wilson-raises-far-cash-michael-brown-donation-page/

“Support Officer Wilson” Raises Far More Cash Than Michael Brown Donation Page

The outcry to support embattled Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson has generated just over $400,000 in donations.  By contrast, the Michael Brown donation page has raised less than $300,000.  This disparity has caused the far left group Color of Change, started by former Obama administration official and self-described communist Van Jones, to charge the Darren Wilson fundraising efforts as racist and demanding the fundraising page to be shut down.

Gateway Pundit correctly pointed out that Color of Change is the comments being left on the Support Officer Wilson page are racist. The fact is though, the fundraising page on the GoFundMe site has no comment section.

Oh, and for those interested, Color of Change receives significant funding from our favorite billionaire Big Government progressive – George Soros.

Posted byulsterman
August 27, 2014
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34