Author Topic: Pediatricians' group says school should start no earlier than 8:30 a.m.  (Read 688 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/08/25/pediatricians-group-says-school-should-start-no-earlier-than-830-am/

Pediatricians' group says school should start no earlier than 8:30 a.m.
Published August 25, 2014Associated Press

CHICAGO –  Pediatricians have a new prescription for schools: later start times for teens.

Delaying the start of the school day until at least 8:30 a.m. would help curb their lack of sleep, which has been linked with poor health, bad grades, car crashes and other problems, the American Academy of Pediatrics says in a new policy.

The influential group says teens are especially at risk; for them, "chronic sleep loss has increasingly become the norm."

Studies have found that most U.S. students in middle school and high school don't get the recommended amount of sleep -- 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 hours on school nights; and that most high school seniors get an average of less than seven hours.

More than 40 percent of the nation's public high schools start classes before 8 a.m., according to government data cited in the policy. And even when the buzzer rings at 8 a.m., school bus pickup times typically mean kids have to get up before dawn if they want that ride.

"The issue is really cost," said Kristen Amundson, executive director of the National Association of State Boards of Education.

School buses often make multiple runs each morning for older and younger students. Adding bus drivers and rerouting buses is one of the biggest financial obstacles to later start times, Amundson said. The roughly 80 school districts that have adopted later times tend to be smaller, she said.

After-school sports are another often-cited obstacle because a later dismissal delays practices and games. The shift may also cut into time for homework and after-school jobs, Amundson said.

The policy, aimed at middle schools and high schools, was published online Monday in the journal Pediatrics.

Evidence on potential dangers for teens who get too little sleep is "extremely compelling" and includes depression, suicidal thoughts, obesity, poor performance in school and on standardized tests and car accidents from drowsy driving, said Dr. Judith Owens, the policy's lead author and director of sleep medicine at Children's National Medical Center in Washington, D.C.

The policy cites studies showing that delaying start times can lead to more nighttime sleep and improve students' motivation in class and mood.  Whether there are broader, long-term benefits requires more research, the policy says.

Many administrators support the idea but haven't resolved the challenges, said Amundson. She said the pediatricians' new policy likely will have some influence.

Parents seeking a change "will come now armed with this report," Amundson said.

Amundson is a former Virginia legislator and teacher who also served on the school board of Virginia's Fairfax County, near Washington, D.C.  Owens, the policy author, has been working with that board on a proposal to delay start times. A vote is due in October and she's optimistic about its chances.

"This is a mechanism through which schools can really have a dramatic, positive impact for their students," Owens said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Pediatricians' group says school should start no earlier than 8:30 a.m.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 04:44:28 pm »

Normal business hours should be 9 am - 5 pm as well...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 07:22:55 pm »
Consider the fact that schools have long been trending toward consolidation, meaning longer trips to and from school. Pile on the increased emphasis on extracurriculars and you can see the allure of forcing a kid to get up too early for his biological clock every day, five days a week.

If left to my own rhythm, I've always typically woke up around 7:00 in the morning, except in the summer when the sun comes up earlier. That worked when school was in walking distance. Then the local school decided to merge with the one seven miles away. When I was in high school, I had to get up at 6:30 just to have enough time to get ready for the bus. It doesn't seem like a lot, but I was tired most of the day and the moment I came home, pretty much every day, I'd have to crash and take a nap. (Funny how a lot of teachers were also trying to push kids to do their homework right when they came home from school. Ha!) A lot of my friends were already hooked on Mountain Dew by that time (energy drinks weren't yet around... they became big when I was in high school. Had I discovered them in high school I think they'd've been a godsend!).

These researchers have a point.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 08:19:35 pm »
Military people get up early. Farmers and ranchers get up early. Construction workers get up early.  Long distance commuters get up early.

Many others do, too. Kids ought to start learning what life will be all about. Work, discipline, sacrifice, etc.

Or laziness, sloth, naps, excuses. I report, you decide.

The last people to listen to these days regarding education in America, are so called "educators."

I say uniforms, start early and finish late, physical education 5 days a week. Principal gives swats.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 08:56:55 pm »
Military people get up early. Farmers and ranchers get up early. Construction workers get up early.  Long distance commuters get up early.

Many others do, too. Kids ought to start learning what life will be all about. Work, discipline, sacrifice, etc.

Or laziness, sloth, naps, excuses. I report, you decide.

The last people to listen to these days regarding education in America, are so called "educators."

I say uniforms, start early and finish late, physical education 5 days a week. Principal gives swats.
Under that logic, we should make all kids take their classes on a night shift, too, since we have people in this country who do that as well. “Work, discipline and sacrifice” all in the name of the compulsory Government Torture Corps.

I thought we were trying to teach children things, not whip them into drones and leave the nonconforming ones in the dust.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024