Author Topic: Pediatricians' group says school should start no earlier than 8:30 a.m.  (Read 392 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator

Support the USO

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Pediatricians' group says school should start no earlier than 8:30 a.m.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:44:28 PM »

Normal business hours should be 9 am - 5 pm as well...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »
Consider the fact that schools have long been trending toward consolidation, meaning longer trips to and from school. Pile on the increased emphasis on extracurriculars and you can see the allure of forcing a kid to get up too early for his biological clock every day, five days a week.

If left to my own rhythm, I've always typically woke up around 7:00 in the morning, except in the summer when the sun comes up earlier. That worked when school was in walking distance. Then the local school decided to merge with the one seven miles away. When I was in high school, I had to get up at 6:30 just to have enough time to get ready for the bus. It doesn't seem like a lot, but I was tired most of the day and the moment I came home, pretty much every day, I'd have to crash and take a nap. (Funny how a lot of teachers were also trying to push kids to do their homework right when they came home from school. Ha!) A lot of my friends were already hooked on Mountain Dew by that time (energy drinks weren't yet around... they became big when I was in high school. Had I discovered them in high school I think they'd've been a godsend!).

These researchers have a point.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 04:19:35 PM »
Military people get up early. Farmers and ranchers get up early. Construction workers get up early.  Long distance commuters get up early.

Many others do, too. Kids ought to start learning what life will be all about. Work, discipline, sacrifice, etc.

Or laziness, sloth, naps, excuses. I report, you decide.

The last people to listen to these days regarding education in America, are so called "educators."

I say uniforms, start early and finish late, physical education 5 days a week. Principal gives swats.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 04:56:55 PM »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf