Author Topic: Lauren Bacall leaves $26.6M estate to her family ... but $10,000 was set aside for her dog Sophie and $15,000 for her loyal maid  (Read 777 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2732403/Lauren-Bacall-leaves-26-6M-estate-family-10-000-set-aside-dog-Sophie-15-000-loyal-maid.html

Money will be split evenly between children Stephen Bogart, 65, Leslie Bogart, 58, and Sam Robards, 53
$10,000 was left to Sam to care for dog Sophie
Art collection will be auctioned off this fall
Bacall lived in the same New York apartment since 1961 which is now worth about $9 million
She died of a stroke on August 12 aged 89

Online GourmetDan

$15,000 for the maid?  That isn't even a good severance, much less an 'inheritance'...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
$15,000 for the maid?  That isn't even a good severance, much less an 'inheritance'...

I thought that was fairly low myself, given 14 years of loyal service.  But then maybe she was well paid to begin with.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:43:06 pm by massadvj »

Oceander

I have no doubt that the maid was very well compensated.  I admit that it's low, but perhaps it was intended only as a sop so that nobody could say the dog was more important than the maid.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I have no doubt that the maid was very well compensated.  I admit that it's low, but perhaps it was intended only as a sop so that nobody could say the dog was more important than the maid.

Geesh...never thought of that.

Sure hope the maid is Caucasian and not Negro.   :whistle:   Otherwise, they'll make a big deal out of this.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Speculating that the maid probably works for 'the estate of....' and potentially is still employed by the estate in some fashion. A severance would be paid separate from any gift that was left her in the will. $15K is small enough it is probably considered a non-taxable gift, even in New York.

Online GourmetDan

I thought that was fairly low myself, given 14 years of loyal service.  But then maybe she was well paid to begin with.

If you think enough of them to leave them something, then leave them something.

You certainly won't be using it...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan